Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Painting P3ESR in white

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting P3ESR in white

I understand this might sound crazy to many, but I have an issue with my better half who simply stated she would only accept the speakers if they come in white.
    The wood veneer is something she considers extremely ugly.

So, the go around this I have an idea, but not sure how much impact would it have to the sonic presentation of the speakers. The idea is to buy a P3ESR in maple and paint it with the two or three coatings of white color. I would probably give this task to someone who is more familiar in wood restoration. I understand I would loose the warranty, but this is a risk I am willing to take. I am not aiming high gloss white, but something with just a touch of gloss.

Questions:
    1.) Would the maple finish be a good candidate for such endeavor?
    2.) What type of color should be used?
    3.) How many layers of coating should be allowed without impacting the sonic quality?
    4.) Any other suggestions/comments, if any?

Thanks a lot!!!

I'd have a look at the M20.1 professional monitors in matt grey finish and paint those white. I think they are the same as P3 esr but I may be wrong. someone else may verify this.

Comment

They are the same but the M20.1 are fitted with professional Speakon connectors as standard, so it may be a problem for a home user.

Comment

Speakon connectors are available from Radiospares in the UK and I have seen them on E-Bay.

BTW, I like it that comments now appear right away.

Comment

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
          Speakon connectors are available from Radiospares in the UK and I have seen them on E-Bay.

BTW, I like it that comments now appear right away.
          The issue wouldn't be the availability of cables themselves but the amplifiers available with speakon outputs are pretty much only pro power amplifiers. I imagine most home audio users are not going to be using pro power amplification.

EDIT:As JeffC notes you can get speakon terminated wires with a different connection to the amp.
          Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

They are identical apart from the connectors.

Comment

If the M20.1 is a better starting point for painting white than a wood veneered cabinet, then I would make up some speaker cable with 'Speakon' connectors one end, and banana plugs or bare wire connections for the amp end. Personally, I always prefer bare wire connection, but like Alan said in his post below there is no audiophile angst relating to cables in the professionals habitat.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/f...-in-the-studio

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_C View Post
                Personally, I always prefer bare wire connection,
                Same here, but I cover last few centimeters of the bare wire with a thin layer of tin, purely for practical reasons.

Comment

Thank you very much for all the comments. M20.1 will be the choice than. Regarding the Speakon, I don't thing this is a big issue as I don't plan on using some crazy expensive cables. I will probably make my own cables and as already suggested put this http://www.parts-express.com/ampheno...eeve--092-0170 on one end of the cable.

My biggest concern at the moment is what type of color should one use in order to affect the speakers' sound as little as possible.
                  Obviously, the work will be done by some professional, but I will need to guide him(her?) what is allowed and what is not allowed.

Comment

I think no more than two coats will be needed, and I doubt it would impact the sound in any way. As for the actual finish the choice will be yours. There will be a need to take great care over masking up the drive units and screw heads If the speakers are going to be spray painted. The original matt grey finish will likely need lightly sanding down to give a key for your choice of finish to adhere to (with more light sanding after the application of the first coat if more than one coat will be needed). As your satisfaction is going to important I would discuss your expectations with any professional who is likely to become engaged to do this work, and see samples of his/her work.

All in all, I think I would be more inclined to change the wife, than the finish on a brand new pair of Harbeth's - ONLY KIDDING

Comment

There will be a need to take great care over masking up the drive units and screw heads
                      My plan was to remove the drivers and screws. This would only be done once so I assumed this wouldn't do much harm.

All in all, I think I would be more inclined to change the wife, than the finish on a brand new pair of Harbeth's - ONLY KIDDING
                      I would have do it, but in the current case I kind of understood her taste and comments related to wood veneers. :)

Comment

It would be a relatively easy matter to cover the front baffle of the speaker with card and tape to protect it from any paint. Far better that than to remove the drivers. What ever you do will negate the warranty, though.

Comment

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
                          It would be a relatively easy matter to cover the front baffle of the speaker with card and tape to protect it from any paint. Far better that than to remove the drivers. What ever you do will negate the warranty, though.
                          I am aware of voiding the warranty, this is not an issue, but not sure if it will be possible to address following in case the front baffle and radial driver are not removed.

Maybe it would be wise to unscrew those side screws half way, protect the heads and do the job.

Any idea how to remove this and put it back?

...for some reason I am not authorized to insert the attachments so here is a link to jpegs on Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ncyb55wof...rsJ_6YTXa?dl=0.

Comment

Originally posted by mirekti View Post

I am aware of voiding the warranty, this is not an issue, but not sure if it will be possible to address following in case the front baffle and radial driver are not removed.

Maybe it would be wise to unscrew those side screws half way, protect the heads and do the job.

Any idea how to remove this and put it back?

...for some reason I am not authorized to insert the attachments so here is a link to jpegs on Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ncyb55wof...rsJ_6YTXa?dl=0.
                            This does seem like an expensive and labour intensive exercise to me!

If I am correct, I believe that Harbeth did once make a version of the P3ESR in a Gloss White finish for some markets outside the UK and I remember seeing one of the HUG members post pictures of his. If you don't mind about warranty issues, it might be an idea to do a search for any used ones for sale.

Regards,

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post

This does seem like an expensive and labour intensive exercise to me!
                              I look at this as a risk I am willing to take (if well prepared, a one day exercise) which end result will be Harbeths in the living room. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X