Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Difference between M40 25th and M40.1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between M40 25th and M40.1?

Can somebody tell the difference between M40 25th anniversary and M40.1?

{Moderator's comment: the M40 and M40.1 are completely different speakers....}

M40 sound v M40.1

That is point! can anybody tell some detail of the different?

I heard the sound of M40 25th anniversary but no chance to meet M40.1 now, need help!

or reply the old topic (there is too many) :)

Comment

Difference M40 to M401

The main difference is that the bass driver is a new design for the M40.1 and this required a re-worked crossover, resulting in a cleaner, faster bass.

There might also have been some other minor 'tweaks' to improve the sound.

Comment

Speakers to relax with?

Thanks!

I like warn & sweet sound, that make me relax, which pair of speakers will give that feeling?

Comment

Originally posted by zhweng View Post
          Thanks!

I like warn & sweet sound, that make me relax, which pair of speakers will give that feeling?
          I already heard C7ES-3 and SHL5 (which I own) and both of them will give you that kind of sound. They are easy and pleasant to listen to. The listening fatigue is almost at zero. Sure, you can be tired some days and don't want to hear any noise, but Harbeth are great even at low volume.

Sebastien

Comment

M401 - natural sound

The M40.1 is a wonderful speaker, communicative, natural and very easy on the ear. If you possibly can, have a demonstration.

Comment

Not a hint of fatigue - you can listen all day

All Harbeths are naturally warm & sweet IMHO. You can literally sit through the whole day listening to them without a hint of fatigue.

{Moderator's comment - as Alan has commented, zero listening fatigue is his Number One design requirement. A speaker that is fatiguing should not be on the market as it is useless for natural reproduction. Simple as that.}

Comment

Sweet sound and power

Originally posted by zhweng View Post
                Difficult to answer this question as all models of Harbeth speakers sound warm and sweet and give a relaxing feel that is free from listening fatigue.

I believe a more pertinent issue to consider is the M40 requires more current to come alive than the M40.1s. The new M40.1s will sound at home with flea to modestly powered amps if you listen at low to moderate volume levels. If listening levels are higher, a powerful amp would be necessary.

Comment

thanks for all replys!
                  seems 40.1 is more easy to drive, but there is on chance to compare them.
                  pitty.

{Moderator's comment: please remember that the M40 (original model) was replaced by the M40.1 some time ago. Any M40 you can find will be old/used.}

Comment

Working...
                  X