Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

My first listen to the P3ESR, M30 and Compact 7ES3 ... could listen for hours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P3ESR in 30m2 room

Originally posted by engjoo View Post
    Tim,

Thank you for sharing. May I know how big is your room and the distance you had placed the P3esr from the rear wall?
    Hi

The room is about 30 sq. meter and about 2,5 to 3m in height (sloping ceiling) .. the speakers are placed about 50cm away from the wall.

Comment

Only Harbeth can reproduce french horn

Originally posted by KT88 View Post
      Hello, TimVG

I'm also a performing musician (symphony and chamber music, on the trombone) and was naturally drawn to Harbeth as well. Usually we musicians can use our imagination and "tonal memory" to fill in missing bass, and even though my Monitor 30's are shy an octave or so of bass, I don't really miss it at all!

I'm curious to know on what and where you perform.

Music lives on Planet Harbeth!

Cheers!

Bob La Barca
      State College, PA
      USA
      I play french horn is a couple of orchestras and teach in weekends!

Harbeth was in fact the only brand that, for me at least, could produce the true sound of the french horn. For those that don't know; the french horn has an enormous amount of overtones (the normal playing register for the instrument is rather high compared to the length of the instrument). Not much speakers can accurately produce this.

A good french horn recording is a great test (or torture test for the bad ones) for a speaker system. If voices and french horns sound natural, you can bet your life anything will!

Comment

Acoustic instruments and Harbeth speakers

So happy to see two of the acoustic instrument players here share their passion on Harbeth. The way Harbeth reproduce acoustic instrument sound is second to none. This is the main reason Harbeth is the only speaker i want to own for life. The original P3 brought me to Harbeth. The latest P3esr is the best speaker i ever in this size. Cheers.

{Moderator's comment: are you aware that (as we have discussed before) it is the unique Harbeth RADIAL cone material that is uniquely clean sounding?}
        "Bath with Music"

Comment

RADIAL sounds just right!

{Moderator's comment: are you aware that (as we have discussed before) it is the unique Harbeth RADIAL cone material that is uniquely clean sounding?}
          Of course I aware of that. The RADIAL cone sound just right. My 7 and 5 sound are uniquely clean. I love them very much.
          "Bath with Music"

Comment

Horns and demo CDs

Originally posted by TimVG View Post
            I play french horn is a couple of orchestras and teach in weekends!

Harbeth was in fact the only brand that, for me at least, could produce the true sound of the french horn. For those that don't know; the french horn has an enormous amount of overtones (the normal playing register for the instrument is rather high compared to the length of the instrument). Not much speakers can accurately produce this.

A good french horn recording is a great test (or torture test for the bad ones) for a speaker system. If voices and french horns sound natural, you can bet your life anything will!
            Tim
            Any cd(s )you can recommend? I like music of the Baroque and classical periods.

thanks in advance,
            tinears

Comment

Great recordings of horns to showcase Harbeth RADIAL technology

Hey, tinears and Tim VG

Here are three great ones, featuring natural horns

The Six Brandenburgs, JS Bach New London Consort L'Oiseau-Lyre 440 675-2

Vivaldi for Diverse Instruments Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra Reference Recordings RR 77

Handel Water Music " " " Harmonia Mundi 907010

This is the BEST Water Music I've ever heard, musically and as a recording.

Enjoy!

Comment

Perid instruments

KT88 wrote:
                "The Six Brandenburgs, JS Bach New London Consort L'Oiseau-Lyre 440 675-2

Vivaldi for Diverse Instruments Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra Reference Recordings RR 77

Handel Water Music " " " Harmonia Mundi 907010

This is the BEST Water Music I've ever heard, musically and as a recording."

Thanks KT88. I heard many good things about the HM version of Water Music, but I bought the Pinnock version because I could not find the HM version. That was many years ago. It's still in period instruments. I will have to chase up this HM version, and the other ones you listed.

cheers.

Comment

Baroque

Originally posted by tinears02 View Post
                  Tim
                  Any cd(s)you can recommend? I like music of the Baroque and classical periods.

thanks in advance,
                  tinears
                  Not anything specific I can think of.. But, some good horn albums are 'The art of the vienna horn' by Wolfgang Tomböck and 'sonatas by Beethoven, Hindemith and Heiden' by John Cerminaro.. both feature great sound quality and tremendous playing.

{Moderator's comment: do you have CD catalogue numbers please?}

Comment

Catalogue nos

Originally posted by TimVG View Post

{Moderator's comment: do you have CD catalogue numbers please?}
                    The art of the Vienna Horn was released through Naxos (cat. no. 8.557471)

And the CD by John Cerminaro through Crystal Records (album ID: 11637)

That's all I could find.. you easily find both albums through google if you need any further information.

Comment

The sound of brass - The RADIAL™ advantage

I can't believe I've had my P3ESR's now for almost two years. Just yesterday, late at night, I was working on the computer while listening to some tunes with the lights dimmed.. I just had to stop to listen for a while, slowly turning up the volume just a bit more, until it felt like I was right there in the studio booth.

That's special about these speakers, apart from their very natural sound, they have this incredibly accurate decay quality. When a brass section instantly ends a phrase, and you can hear this hint of reverb, coming from the very dry studio booth. That's just quality. No other brand has ever done that for me.

{Moderator's comment: you are hearing deep into the recording, thanks to Harbeth's RADIAL™ cone material - it's really that simple!}

Comment

Working...
                      X