Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

What defines a great speaker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What defines a great speaker?

I can't see any reason why you couldn't vote - assuming that you were logged in! I made a test vote - could you and other logged-in members try and vote?

I know that we've had problems in the past with the poll facility here which I thought had been fixed.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

1 Clarity, image and soundstage - timbre and tonal truthfulness to reality, so many fail here
      2 Design heritage - what does the designer believe in ?
      3 Excellent QC - without which you have very little
      4 Styling - should enhance domestic appearances not detract

Like Alan said, it's speakers and microphones which have the most room for improvement (as well as the difficult task of converting sound to signal and vice versa etc.

Comment

Yes, I'm logged in. I only see the results of the polling (one vote for 'clarity, image and soundstage') and a message at the bottom of the poll results tellling me that I'm disenfranchised!

It may be because I use Safari as my browser; most websites are optimised for Explorer, I suppose.

In the spirit intended, I'd vote:

Unique technology
        Design heritage
        Stand mounting
        Excellent QC

...although, I also appreciate the empathy from the manufacturer; and being able to communicate with him across the miles!

BTW in a couple weeks' time, I shall have my Compact 7 demo in Portland! Finally get to hear these wonderful speakers I've been hearing about.

Best,
        Rabbit

Comment

1. Clarity, image and sound stage
          2. Excellent QC (Quality Control) - ISO9001 etc.
          3. Unique technology (cabinet, drive units, crossover etc.)
          4. Design heritage

Comment

It"s a problem with the pool:

View Poll Results: 4 most important factors in a great speaker. PICK 4 ONLY!
            Styling 0 0%
            Unique technology (cabinet, drive units, crossover etc.) 0 0%
            Design heritage 0 0%
            Clarity, image and sound stage 1 100.00%
            Stand mounting 0 0%
            Floor standing 0 0%
            Hand made in the UK 0 0%
            Excellent QC (Quality Control) - ISO9001 etc. 0 0%
            Understanding of the designer's philosophy 0 0%
            Empathy with the manufacturer 0 0%
            Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Comment

Interesting breakdown. Only one choice has to do with the sound, and not, perhaps, the most important aspect of the sound.

So for me,

First is tonal balance. It is key that no range jumps out unnaturally and alters timbre or the feel of the recording, or makes the bass seem like it lags. Second is a sense of tunefulness which I think comes from a neutral and pure midrange. Third is something I can't quite put my finger on, but a sort of physicality that makes it seem like there is a solid object producing sound. Some might call this imaging and soundstaging, but I'm not sure that's exactly it. Fourth is clarity and detail, but it must be coupled with a naturalness. Fifth is empathy with and understanding of the design--whether "high tech" or not it should make sense. Sixth is qc and service.

Comment

In all my audio gear I want three things, great sound, reliability, and a company with a history of standing behind there product. Its also nice to know there design philosophy, but not a must for me.

1. Clarity, image, soundstage
                2. Excellent quality control
                3. Design Heritage

4. Understanding designers philosophy

Comment

I took the poll but for those of us who are after the best sound it is kind of irrelevant. It would have been more interesting to see a list of audio attributes which (I guess) the designer trades of according to price and size such as;

mid range accuracy
                  support for lower ocatave(s)
                  balance
                  response in typical rooms
                  sound stage
                  dynamics
                  sensitivity
                  resistance

and so on

Comment

Working...
                  X