Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Here is a photo of my setup.

- Harbeth M40 - of course!
    - Home made stands
    - Amplifier: Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 with RoomPerfect
    - CD: Marantz CD17KI, digital output
    - SAT: Kreiling KR5000s, digital output, Radio and TV
    - Power: PS Audio Power Plant Premier LE Black

Room size: 4.4 x 3.7 x 2.75 m, far too small without DSP, but with RoomPerfect just perfect!

setup.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by T.W. View Post
      Here is a photo of my setup.

- Harbeth M40 - of course!
      - Home made stands
      - Amplifier: Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 with RoomPerfect
      - CD: Marantz CD17KI, digital output
      - SAT: Kreiling KR5000s, digital output, Radio and TV
      - Power: PS Audio Power Plant Premier LE Black

Room size: 4.4 x 3.7 x 2.75 m, far too small without DSP, but with RoomPerfect just perfect!

[ATTACH]317[/ATTACH]
      T.W,

Nice set-up. Thanks for sharing.
      Btw, you position the speakers on the long side or short side of the room?

: )

Comment

Originally posted by Jmohd View Post
        T.W,

Nice set-up. Thanks for sharing.
        Btw, you position the speakers on the long side or short side of the room?

: )
        The speakers are on the long side (4.4m). My listening sofa is at the other wall.
        This gives me a triagle of about 2.5 m. Not optimal but cosy ... :-)

T.W.

Comment

T.W,

My room size is about L5.1m x W2.9m x H2.7m and is treated with acoustic treatment. Is the M40.1 suitable for my room size?

Rgds

Comment

Originally posted by Jmohd View Post
            T.W,

My room size is about L5.1m x W2.9m x H2.7m and is treated with acoustic treatment. Is the M40.1 suitable for my room size?

Rgds
            This is a question that I'm not able to answer, but here are some thoughts...
            I owe the M40 and not the M40.1. I never listened to the M40.1.

Where do you want to place the speakers?
            If you but them at the small side with W2.9m then there is probably not enough
            space between the speaker and the side walls. You may have handled this problem
            with your acoustic treatment.
            If you put them at the long side with L5.1m them you have another space problem with
            the wall behind the speaker speaker and you can only sit close in front of the opposite long wall. This is quite close to the speakers.
            In any case you will probably also have a bass problem. The bass will be too heavy for
            your room. (That's true for the M40 - I'm not sure about the M40.1)
            I don't know how you handle this in the moment. If your accoustic treatment includes some
            treatment for the bass (bass traps, tube traps or so) then it could work.
            If you have some DSP solution then it could also work.
            You should take some M40.1 home and try it out!

Good luck,
            T.W.

Comment

T.W,

Here is the picture of my current set-up. My set-up is position on the width of the room.
              What do you think of my set-up? Local Harbeth distributor don't have the M40.1 for demo.

Rgds,

Comment

T.W.,
                I very much like how neat and orderly your listening room is. It looks like a truly dedicated listening room. While your speakers are perhaps closer to the side walls than is ideal (and so are mine), the fact that you have the diffusers along the walls must help a great deal. The space behind the speakers is very good. While I've adopted a near-field, 90 degree listening position with my M40s, I can appreciate the appeal of a more distant position. All in all, you must be very happy to have such a room for listening, and such good equipment (especially the Harbeths) producing the music. Happy listening and thanks for posting your photo!

Ned

Comment

Current Set-up 2008:

Equipment List:

Harbeth SHL5s on Sound Anchors Stands (for C7).
                  Auditorium 23 speaker cables (jumpers are Silver Audio Silver Shot)
                  Accuphase E450 integrated amplifier (180w/channel)
                  Accuphase DP500 Cd player
                  Accuphase DG48 Digital room correction

Interconnects: Acrolink 2070 interconnct and Purist Audio Design Aqueous Anniversary IC, Silver Audio Digital Cable
                  Powercords: Acrolink PC7100, Acrolink 4030, TG Audio SLVR
                  Power Conditioner: Shunyata Hydra 4, Shunyata 20amp Python Powercord

Room treatments:

11 pcs ASC Bass traps from 11", 13", 16"diameter (the more you add, the more control one has--its addictive!)
                  4 pcs ASC Studio traps (controls 1st and order reflections)
                  10 pcs ASC Panels (controls echos and sets the soundstage)

9 Pcs Acoustic System Resonators (basic, silver, gold special). *magic stuff*-- it works!

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/a...esonators.html

Room size: 19 feet long x 15.5 feet wide x 9 feet height

Equipment Racks:

Symposium isis rack
                  Symposium Ultras on Accuphase DP500 CD player and Accuphase Integrated amp
                  Symposium Svelte on Accuphase DG48
                  Symposium Speaker Sveltes on Harbeth SHL5s.

Result: This room is very well treatment and equipments are well isolated using Symposiums, one can play music in this room extremely loud without distortion and bass overhang. Sound is slightly on the warm side but very clear, detailed and very orderly. One can see deep into the soundstage with clear separation of instruments, musicians with good soundstage depth.
                  On RTA, bass can go as low as 35hz room load without boominess.
                  Bass is very tight and very articulate. Bass notes are very well defined due to the numerous bass traps.
                  Speakers are almost 10 feet apart, 5.5 feet away from rear walls and 2 feet away from side walls. I listen about 8 feet away from the speakers.
                  Sound is very dynamic and fast thanks to the 180w Accuphase. The midrange is very well focused and the imaging is spot on about lifesize.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Previous Harbeth Set-up with Compact 7es2 (Year 2004)

Audio Note CDT-2
                    Audio Note Dac 3.1x
                    Audible Illusions Modulus 3a pre-amp
                    McCormack DNA 0.5 Rev A power amp
                    C7es2 on 20 inch skylan stands
                    Audience 23 speaker cables with TG Audio SLVR Interconnects. , Silver Audio Digital Cable
                    TG Audio SLVR Power cords in all gears
                    Particular Rack Model parallel
                    Blue Circle Power conditioner

Misc ASC Bass traps and Sound panels

Comment

Wow Ferdinand777, what a big room! Big enough for a M40.1. Nice gear you've there driving the SHL-5. Btw any reason why you change from Skylan to Sound Anchor stands?

Comment

Wow! nice room.
                        Fit for the "King" M40.1.
                        Just curious, the picture shows your sitting position way back to the back wall.
                        Is there any reason ?
                        Last edited by Jmohd; 12-10-2008, 08:53 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Here is my setup. Super HL-5 on 18" Skylan stands. CD-player is dCS-Puccini. Amp is Pass Lab Int-150 or an old tweaked set of Quicksilver KT-88. I live in Norway.

Comment

what a lovely room - thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Hagto View Post
                              Here is my setup. Super HL-5 on 18" Skylan stands. CD-player is dCS-Puccini. Amp is Pass Lab Int-150 or an old tweaked set of Quicksilver KT-88. I live in Norway.

Hagto.... beautiful room! Thank you for sharing... and that beautiful Mies Van der Rohe sofa 531 black.

Cheers..

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I usually plays with grills on, and more toe in than the first picture. I also like my tweaked 2x60W tube monoblock's best:

Comment

Working...
                                X