Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Hi Sunshine,
    Hopefully one day I can

Hi Jmohd,
    After I got my Mistral LE, I spent quite some time on it with C7 and I didnt miss my other combo. Last weekend I swop to LE III + SHL5, I didnt miss the Mistral LE + C7 at all. Both setup got their own charm.
    "Bath with Music"

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine View Post
      Hi Keith,

Nice one...when are you purchasing a M30?

Later..
      No.... Keith is gunning for M40.1....

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen PG View Post
        Thanks for the reminder, Soundbyte.

Here you go;

From the top we have a

Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck with Spacearm and heavy kit with an Ortofon Rohmann

Arcam CD36

Arcam C31 pre-amp

Quad FM4

Clearaudio MC phono amp

and the dark shape at the bottom is an Avondale A260z power amp.
        Stephen, wow... impressive analog setup, I was wondering, from your picture - it seems that you have Lyra Skala and Ortofon Rohmann - I am curious how does it compared to Skala?

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine View Post
          Hi Soundbyte,

A very balance setup, i'm sure music played through your vinyl setup must be mesmerizing

Cheers
          Thanks Sunshine.... :D

Cheers...

Comment

Originally posted by Soundbyte View Post
            Stephen, wow... impressive analog setup, I was wondering, from your picture - it seems that you have Lyra Skala and Ortofon Rohmann - I am curious how does it compared to Skala?
            Given a decent LP it is very, very good.

Skala vs Rohman

Considering the price difference there's not much in it, the Rohmann tracks a little better but has a much lower output, about half that of the Skala.

If pushed, I'd say the Skala is a little more suited to pop and jazz, the Rohmann better on classical and opera, overall, the Skala has a slightly brighter balance.

One thing with the Skala, after two years use playing on average 3 to 4 lps a day, often many more it's showing signs of wearing out.

But to put all of the above into context, it depends entirely on the quality of the LP, on anything less than a perfect pressing the Arcam CD36 is a lot better than both!

So the money I'd been keeping aside for a new Skala is being spent on new CDs :-)

The Copland set is just superb, breathtaking sound through the HL5s!

Not that I'll ever abandon vinyl altogether, I have lots of lps that don't seem to be available on CD.

Comment

Hi Stephen,
              I believe yours Harbeth must be SHL5 but not the legendary HL5.
              Let's enjoy the musics.
              "Bath with Music"

Comment

King is Ultimate!

Bro Soundbyte, your Cherry SHL5's color is getting more and more pretty.
                "Bath with Music"

Comment

The "KING" is on his way to SIN.. Waiting for his arrival.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmohd View Post
                    The "KING" is on his way to SIN.. Waiting for his arrival.

Congrats Jmohd.... I am sure you will be throughly "hook" and can foresee countless of late/sleepless nights of bathing in pure sonic bliss!

Cheers....

Comment

here are a few shots of my system with my Monitor 30s

Comment

Hi PC,
                        Thanks for photos. Your 275 sound sweet and lovely.
                        "Bath with Music"

Comment

Here's my system:

Thorens TD160 heavily modded turntable with Audio Technica AT95E cartridge and
                          Cambridge Audio CD5 player feeding digital input of:
                          Bryston BP16 preamp
                          feeding B&W ASW750 active subs, whose x-over outputs feed
                          Bryston 4BSST feeding
                          HARBETH M30s (pre domestic finish)

Last edited by Paul G Smith; 15-05-2009, 09:35 PM. Reason: improved pic
                          Paul

"If all else fails, read the instructions"

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G Smith View Post
                            Here's my system:

Thorens TD160 heavily modded turntable with Audio Technica AT95E cartridge and
                            Cambridge Audio CD5 player feeding digital input of:
                            Bryston BP16 preamp
                            feeding B&W ASW750 active subs, whose x-over outputs feed
                            Bryston 4BSST feeding
                            HARBETH M30s (pre domestic finish)

I'll take a better shot one day!!
                            Hi Paul, Nice setup and photo.
                            Let me guess, by putting your B&W sub in that way, you had eliminated vibration to your Thoren TD160 and other equipts?
                            "Bath with Music"

Comment

The turntable was always on the Apollo shelf, but the subs which weigh 32Kg each moved the floor they were on more than the air! They have 1Kw class D equalised amps driving 12" paper/kevlar cones.
                              The suspended flooring was acting as a sort of badly tuned low percussion ensemble resonating at many frequencies and adding its colouration to anything with LF energy. Eliminating the direct coupling to the floor by mounting them on the brick / concrete wall totally transformed the quality of the bass which is now seriously good down to around 20Hz. (low E)
                              The turntable shelf is fastened to a concrete column and it's possible to dance on the floor with no ill effects whilst playing vinyl.

ps there's a 15" version of the sub which is substantally flat down to 17Hz but they would have been too big for reasons of matrimonial harmony.
                              Paul

"If all else fails, read the instructions"

Comment

Took some new photos today with the grilles in place. A better digital camera is used this time for sharper and higher resolution pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                X