Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Hi fellow fans of Harbeth...

I have attached my set up of Harbeth here to share, where we all love the sound of Harbeth.

I have remove the grilles for picture taking... my preference of listening is with the grilles on.

Regards,
    Chuan aka Tein3

Set up with 7 ES3

Set up with P3 ESR

Comment

Originally posted by tein3 View Post

I have attached my set up of Harbeth here to share, where we all love the sound of Harbeth.

I have remove the grilles for picture taking... my preference of listening is with the grilles on.

Regards,
      Chuan aka Tein3

Set up with 7 ES3

Set up with P3 ESR
      Hi Chuan, wow nice pics there. Thks for sharing. Btw, are you also a watch lover? Play acoustic guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by Gan CK View Post
        Hi Chuan, wow nice pics there. Thks for sharing. Btw, are you also a watch lover? Play acoustic guitar?
        Hi Gan,

thanks on the pics, photography is also one of my interest. Yes, I am a watch lover... however, all fire power gone to hifi... now ;) Get more satisfaction here. hahaha, in fact for the past few months... only time I draw out my camera is to shoot hifi only, so as I can fill the walls with Black & White collection.

Acoustic guitar has always been my favourite musical instrument, am still in learning stage ;)

Comment

Hi Gan,

thanks on the pics, photography is also one of my interest. Yes, I am a watch lover... however, all fire power gone to hifi... now ;) Get more satisfaction here. hahaha, in fact for the past few months... only time I draw out my camera is to shoot hifi only, so as I can fill the walls with Black & White collection.

Acoustic guitar has always been my favourite musical instrument, am still in learning stage ;)
          Hi Chuan, i also like the acoustic guitar a great deal. But i m no guitarist at all. Juat a passive listener. I like the music of Earl Klugh, Doug Smith, Larry Calton, Ottmar Liebert, Jaime Valle, Antonio Forcione... etc....recently got to know this superb young japanese guitarist by the name of Mitsuru Araya. I also like flamenco guitar...the likes of Strunz & Farah, Armik, Lara & Reves are also excellent.

Comment

Tein3, nice setup you've got there. Is that a Krell KAV-300i and Rega P3-24 in the background driving the Compact 7ES-3? How do you like the sound? So you are an avid acoustic guitar fan and playing the instrument yourself. You've got good suggestions from Gan on few artists that play the acoustic guitar. I also listen to Earl Klugh, Antonio Forcione, Lee Ritenour and Acoustic Alchemy but my all-time favourite guitarist is Pat Metheny. The ECM version of his records is of unbelievably good quality as once one listens to vinyl there is no way he is going to enjoy his music on CD.

Comment

It's wonderful to see how much love and care went into all the rooms we see here. I am also impressed at the understanding of how important an acoustic treatment is to achieve good sonic results. I wish I had more space or a dedicated listening room for my setup, but I tried my best using both passive and active treatments. Here is my stereo setup :
              http://picasaweb.google.com/LeTziky/MyStereo#

Comment

Originally posted by ryder View Post
                Tein3, nice setup you've got there. Is that a Krell KAV-300i and Rega P3-24 in the background driving the Compact 7ES-3? How do you like the sound? So you are an avid acoustic guitar fan and playing the instrument yourself. You've got good suggestions from Gan on few artists that play the acoustic guitar. I also listen to Earl Klugh, Antonio Forcione, Lee Ritenour and Acoustic Alchemy but my all-time favourite guitarist is Pat Metheny. The ECM version of his records is of unbelievably good quality as once one listens to vinyl there is no way he is going to enjoy his music on CD.

Hi Ryder, thanks.

Yes, it is Krell KAV-300i and Rega P3-24 though Plinius Jerrad Phono stage driving the 7's. And yes, I do like the sound The Krell was initially driving my DynAudio speakers, before I got the Harbeth.

The Krell's rich midrange sounds great through the 7's, and no glaring even if I push up a little... only thing is... I dare not push too much to try it out due to it's 150W power... on the 7's, have push it fairly up only.... (as I read within the forum, many prefer it not to push the speakers), anyway... I do not listen to it loud during my normal listening, so not neccesary to do so. The fine depth soundstage from Krell is nicely displayed on the 7's with good transparency too. The speed and dynamics is also well displayed, and it is sounding much warmer than my previous set up. I normally uses guitar & piano pieces to review the system (as I am familiar with the sound), all sounded natural and close to the real thing. Musicality is definitely there... ;) which is important to me, the "body" from instruments are much better define than before for albums that I listen most, drum skin are also well displayed... in my opinion, music through vinyl is still best sounding ;). With Harbeth pairing up in my system now... (in my opinion)even Antonio's album on CD played through Accuphase CDP, it is also sounds much warmer. Therefore, for me at this point, all are matching up well.

Musicality and involvement in the music is definitely present and non-fatigue (in my opinion)... my personal record on listening to it non-stop in my room, is a solid 6 to 8hrs per listening session over Friday evening to Sunday evening, ears never hurt, mind never hurt.... but my butt hurts! ahahhaha.

Yes, I also listen to Earl Klugh & Antonio Forcione, which Antonio is still my prefered, and I have a couple of his albums in CD, and for LP album only 1 of his so far. As for Lee Ritenour and Acoustic Alchemy & Pat Metheny, I have not listen to them... I note both Gan's and your recomendation, and I will look for their album and check it out. Thanks for sharing

Yes, I am a great fan of Acoustic guitar, and I am currently learning the instrument

Cheers...

Comment

Hi tien3,

I've just started collecting Antonio Facione (Naim) cds. Have you listen to his album, Meet Me In London? It's fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Jmohd View Post
                    Hi tien3,

I've just started collecting Antonio Facione (Naim) cds. Have you listen to his album, Meet Me In London? It's fantastic!
                    Yes... yes... that is a great album, I have it too. I started with him after listening to his album from my friend's collection, the album is a quartet (I have place order for it and am waiting for it to arrive) And from this album... I bought the Antonio Forcione - LIVE! --- a lovely album too, and 2nd track, Accoustic revenge is my favourite. The other 2 albums are, Touch wood and Tears of Joy. All in CD by Naim. And a LP, album name - Dedicato, by Naim too. For him... I feel all albums can buy

Comment

Regards,
                      Chuan aka Tein3
                      Wonderful room... beautiful setup.... Thanks for Sharing!

Comment

Hi tein3 and coredump,
                        Thanks for sharing!

Cheers~
                        "Bath with Music"

Comment

more naked pic of the P3ESR

naked pic of the SHL5 and P3

as much as I like to listen to them, can't stop taking close-up picture of them too

Comment

Originally posted by coredump View Post
                            more naked pic of the P3ESR

naked pic of the SHL5 and P3

as much as I like to listen to them, can't stop taking close-up picture of them too
                            Nice pics Coredump. Keep em coming. Wondering how SHL-5 will look like in rosewood.

Comment

After more than 3 months living with the SHL5 I moved them from the dedicated room to the living area downstairs for the first time today since I was curious to know how they would sound like in a real listening environment. After all Harbeth speakers are designed in real listening environments so I guess they should do better than all my previous speakers which never lasted more than 1 day in the same spot before they were lugged back to the dedicated room. With random placement and a few minutes of fine tuning I have come to a conclusion that the Harbeth sounds very good even in an odd-sized room with ZERO room treatments. I was really amazed. Since I already had a few diffusors and absorption panels I placed some on one side of the wall.

Now I am left with a dilemma. I need to find myself another pair of speakers for my dedicated room since the SHL5 will be permanently in my living room now making some wonderful music. I just hope my neighbours won't come knocking on my door when I blast the music.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X