Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Photos of my rosewood M40.1s

Hi Jmohd,

Very pretty, especially so in rosewood.
    Are the speaker stand custom made?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine View Post
      Hi Jmohd,

Very pretty, especially so in rosewood.
      Are the speaker stand custom made?

Cheers
      Hi Sunshine,

The stands are from our local dealer. All welded steel construction. Top and bottom frames are fabricated from about 25mm thk. solid flat bar and pillars are of hollow sections (tubing) which are injected with "damping" compound.

Really heavy...

Comment

• Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Hi Jmohd, can't help but congratulate you on your new 40.1s - they're absolutely gorgeous in your beautiful listening room, and I'm sure they make equally stunning music with your Classe amp.

Thanks for the pics and hope your heart isn't racing too fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Jmohd View Post
          My New Harbeth M40.1

Truly a nice set up. Should have ordered my 40.1 in rosewood. Do you have your set up in a dedicated room and what are the dimensions if I may ask? Have been entertaining thoughts of building a dedicated room but the following dimensions are the maximum I can squeeze - 11.5 feet width, 16-18 feet lenght and about 9 feet height. I have been told I need about 14 feet width for the 40.1 and the speakers may be too much for a room of the mentioned dimensions.

Thanks

Comment

Hi kathylim,

Yes, I do have a dedicated hifi room. My room is very small, about L 20ft x W 9ft x H 9ft. As you can see, there are sound treatments all around the room.

IMO, your room size, will be ok. For ideal room size, please visit http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ing=Room+Setup

Comment

Hi kathylim,

Yes, I do have a dedicated hifi room. My room is very small, about L 20ft x W 9ft x H 9ft. As you can see, there are sound treatments all around the room.

IMO, your room size, will be ok. For ideal room size, please visit http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ing=Room+Setup
              Hi Jmohd,

Thank you for your reply. I checked a few sites and the dimensions I am getting for a width of 11.5 feet reduces the length to approximately 13.5 feet and height a tad over 8 feet. That reduces the size of the room even more.

Care to throw in a guess where am I likely to encounter problems? mid/low bass?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Soundbyte View Post
                Dear fellow harbeth owners,
                I was hoping that you all are able to share your photos of your beloved Harbeth speakers and your systems setup pictures... Be it new or old, P3, C7, HL5, SHL5, M20, M30, M40, NRG and etc.... I would appreciate if you could post photos of it!

To Start - here's mine...

Systems consist of
                1. Harbeth SHL-5 30th Anniversary
                2. dps2 Turntable with dps modified Rega RB250 tonearm + Benz HOMC
                3. JLTI modified Sony DVD NS90 CD/SACD Player
                4. Lavardin IS Reference Integrated Amp
                5. Audience AU24 Interconnects
                6. Kimber Kable 8TC Speaker Cable
                7. Hutters Rack Basic.

Thanks...for looking...

Hi (^^)
                My set
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Kathylim,

These are the info i've gathered:

Room Modes dominate: 41hz to 134hz

Absorbtion to achieve ITU RT60: 344 sabins

Hope these help

Comment

My New Harbeth M40.1
                    Hi, what is the distance of your Hifi Chair from the speaker? Tks

Comment

My New Harbeth M40.1

Sweet!........ Am happy for you

Comment

teddy likes the sound but puppy fell asleep listening....naughty puppy, but great harbeth!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by kittykat; 14-11-2009, 06:31 AM. Reason: messed up the upload

Comment

Originally posted by kittykat View Post
                          teddy likes the sound but puppy fell asleep listening....naughty puppy, but great harbeth!
                          Hi Kittykat,

Yes, great Harbeth!!. Is it SHL5 or M40.1 that we are looking at?

Your speaker stand look rather small....too small and it can easily fall off .

I would suggest the you get a better stand..(stable)

Comment

hi Jmohd

Its an shl5. You're absolutely right, the stands are not the right ones and were for a pair of rogers. too tall - 22" and too small. There's no drinking allowed in the house at the moment till the speakers sit on a set of skylans which are on their way and which should be here this coming week. at the moment i sit on 3 thick pillows to get to tweeter level and maybe that should be the most comedic photo here but i dont care cause the sound is pretty fantastic.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by coredump View Post
                              Hi, what is the distance of your Hifi Chair from the speaker? Tks
                              Hi coredump, it's about 7ft.

Comment

Finally got the proper stands for the shl5's and have stopped sitting on 5 inches of pillows. the sound is just pretty awesome now. absolutely amazing. some lessons from this episode is that

-revealing speakers can be good listenable speakers
                                - Metal dome tweeters can be magnificent (this was a factor which made me sceptical about the shl5. "metal domes sound harsh" is another hifi falsehood)
                                -focus on the 20% which give the 80% difference in sound ie. speakers.
                                -comparing speakers/ amplifiers in a showroom has its limitations
                                - you need to listen a while to know if you can really live with something
                                - sounds which first draw your attention is very likely to be the ones you want to forget quickest

i had actually stopped listening to music for over a year and attribute that to my last pair of speakers. they were simply awful but they did take my breath away at first listen. it was like a supemodel. sexy and impressive but tiring (thats what i read in the tabloids). the harbeths are classy, smooth and has an amazingly powerful sound when the music contains it eg. some Michael Jackson tracks.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X