Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Originally posted by kittykat View Post
    Finally got the proper stands for the shl5's and have stopped sitting on 5 inches of pillows. the sound is just pretty awesome now. absolutely amazing. some lessons from this episode is that

-revealing speakers can be good listenable speakers
    - Metal dome tweeters can be magnificent (this was a factor which made me sceptical about the shl5. "metal domes sound harsh" is another hifi falsehood)
    -focus on the 20% which give the 80% difference in sound ie. speakers.
    -comparing speakers/ amplifiers in a showroom has its limitations
    - you need to listen a while to know if you can really live with something
    - sounds which first draw your attention is very likely to be the ones you want to forget quickest

i had actually stopped listening to music for over a year and attribute that to my last pair of speakers. they were simply awful but they did take my breath away at first listen. it was like a supemodel. sexy and impressive but tiring (thats what i read in the tabloids). the harbeths are classy, smooth and has an amazingly powerful sound when the music contains it eg. some Michael Jackson tracks.

Hi Kittykat,

Agree and congrats on the new stand. Looking at the picture, your speakers are a little bit toe out. Is the picture taken from the listening position?

Comment

Hi Jmohd

Thank you. You're absolutely right, its toed out by accident, initially thought it was distortion from the photograph but on checking it was out by quite a bit. It was late last night and in haste and excitement, didnt set it up properly, what an idiot i am.

Thanks again, You have really good powers of observation.

Comment

Hi kittykat,
        Really agree to what you said "sounds which first draw your attention is very likely to be the ones you want to forget quickest"

Btw, if you got time, you can try to toe in you shl5 until you can see little bit of inner side wall when you in center listening seat. That will let shl5 sound even more wonderful.

Cheers
        "Bath with Music"

Comment

Hi Kittykat,

RE: Speaker toe in

Yes, remember the triangle.....

Just to share, in my set-up, the apex is about 1m behind of my listening position. My observation on one of 40.1 user, the apex is about 0.5 m or so (if not direct) infront of his listening position.

Happy Listening

Comment

• Re: Photos of my rosewood M40.1s

Originally posted by Jmohd View Post
            Hi coredump, it's about 7ft.
            that's pretty near. do you find it forward or shouting at you?

Comment

• Re: Photos of my rosewood M40.1s

Originally posted by coredump View Post
              that's pretty near. do you find it forward or shouting at you?
              No shouting. Image well, beyond the front wall.

Comment

Some really amazing sets out there. Here's a close-up of the humble set I have in my tiny listening nook. Linn Sondek, Lejonklou Slipsik phono stage, Luxman integrated and the new and wonderful P3 ESR. The Luxman has a pretty good phono stage built in, but I prefer the Lejonklou. The stands are Music Tools ToolOne (67cm).

Comment

Originally posted by 123teemu View Post
                  Some really amazing sets out there. Here's a close-up of the humble set I have in my tiny listening nook. Linn Sondek, Lejonklou Slipsik phono stage, Luxman integrated and the new and wonderful P3 ESR. The Luxman has a pretty good phono stage built in, but I prefer the Lejonklou. The stands are Music Tools ToolOne (67cm).
                  Hi Teemu,
                  the Luxman looks good - the whole gear looks damn good! Good taste!

Comment

my compliments to you..... your set up is visually very pleasant , it looks clean, smooth and luxurious. Plus the sound from your set up, I believe it is a bliss. Looks like you only listen to LP on this set up....?

Thanks for sharing.

This is one of my favourite thread in this forum, cos we get to see so many different set up, kudos to the one who started this thread.

Comment

Great looking set you have there....Love the look of your Luxman..

Comment

Thank you for the kind words

Originally posted by tein3 View Post
                        Looks like you only listen to LP on this set up....?
                        Yes, currently only vinyl in this set (this is the retro chill out / relaxation nook and the home-theatre kit sits in the living room). I am pretty happy with the sound as it is, but I am also considering next purchases - possibly Radikal PSU for the Sondek, a digital source (e.g. Linn Majik DS), further acoustic treatment of the listening area or a mains conditioner/filter. Cannot afford all in one go and I'm in no rush - so I'll take my time, demo the options over time and then decide. And in the meantime of course - enjoy the music with what I have

T

Comment

Originally posted by jim123 View Post
                          Great looking set you have there....Love the look of your Luxman..
                          Hi Jim, I must totally agree with you... I love the look of his Luxman too!

Comment

Here is the right one of my new Harbeth Compact 7ES-3. The stand is a Finnish made Sauli-labeled that is marketed by HighendStudio in Tampere http://www.musicalaudio.fi/ (price for the stands 400 ?).

Comment

Hi, did a couple of change in my set up with my C7 ES3 lately

Keith and Gan... these are the changes I made after your last visit at my place ... now still considering if SHL5 should take over in this room, and C7 goes to my living hall... or vice versa, itching powder still in application... LOL, the C7 are also as enjoyable in it's own charm and way.... so the time for change is not justifiable as yet....

Added:
                              Audio Magic Mini reference to my power supply
                              Audio Magic silver cable for mains
                              WE300B tubes
                              Mullard GZ37 Rectifier tube
                              Brimard CV1988 Driver tubes
                              DynaVector P-75 mkII Phono Stage with DV-20x cartrigde
                              Sonex (sides and rear)
                              Mpingo Disc
                              And double Seater Sofa... hahahaha...

Love the glows from the tube

Comment

Originally posted by tein3 View Post
                                Hi, did a couple of change in my set up with my C7 ES3 lately

Keith and Gan... these are the changes I made after your last visit at my place ... now still considering if SHL5 should take over in this room, and C7 goes to my living hall... or vice versa, itching powder still in application... LOL, the C7 are also as enjoyable in it's own charm and way.... so the time for change is not justifiable as yet....

Added:
                                Audio Magic Mini reference to my power supply
                                Audio Magic silver cable for mains
                                WE300B tubes
                                Mullard GZ37 Rectifier tube
                                Brimard CV1988 Driver tubes
                                DynaVector P-75 mkII Phono Stage with DV-20x cartrigde
                                Sonex (sides and rear)
                                Mpingo Disc
                                And double Seater Sofa... hahahaha...

Love the glows from the tube
                                Thks for the update bro. Your room looks more cosy now than before. Perhaps a pair of SHL-5 will look even more appropriate there....haha....i can spare you itchy powder if you need some.... ))
                                Oh yeah, don't wait too long as Jimmy's SHL-5 usually sell very fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X