Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a link to some of pix of my system and room. I may yet pivot the room to fire the length of it instead of the short width wise, but it's sounding good right now, so.. I'm not touching it ! hehehe

http://http://www.bluecircle.com/for...pic.php?t=1060

Comment

• So sorry for the late reply... Yes JMohd is right... it was a local made and designed by the local Harbeth distributor....

Comment

• Thought I post some new pictures as I just uploaded some to photobucket which gave me larger and higher-definition pictures. Some changes include room treatments and speaker arrangement. The speakers now have zero toe-in and fire straight ahead.

Comment

• Originally posted by ryder View Post
          Thought I post some new pictures as I just uploaded some to photobucket which gave me larger and higher-definition pictures. Some changes include room treatments and speaker arrangement. The speakers now have zero toe-in and fire straight ahead.
          Wow, that's remarkable! Have you come to this setup after much experimentation? I always find them to sound best quite severely toed in (so you can just see the inner sides).

Comment

• Originally posted by garmtz View Post
            Wow, that's remarkable! Have you come to this setup after much experimentation? I always find them to sound best quite severely toed in (so you can just see the inner sides).
            Yes, I settled on no toe-in in my room after much experimentation. I have tried "severe" toe-in once after reading some recommendations on the setup but reverted back to minimal toe-in after a short while. Results can sometimes be unpredictable.

Comment

• My new setup:

- Luxman L505 U, integrated amp
              - Luxman DU-50, SACD player
              - Tesla NC 430, vintage turntable (!)
              - Harbeth SHL 5, the newest members in system!
              - Accupahse interconect, Chord speakers cable
              Attached Files

Comment

Thought I post some new pictures as I just uploaded some to photobucket which gave me larger and higher-definition pictures. Some changes include room treatments and speaker arrangement. The speakers now have zero toe-in and fire straight ahead.

Hi Ryder,

I see you have upgrade to Naim electronics now?

Comment

• Originally posted by jim123 View Post
                  Hi Ryder,

I see you have upgrade to Naim electronics now?
                  Hi Jim123,
                  Yes, NAC202/NAP200/Dual Teddycap(Hicap & NAPSC equivalent). They will most likely be my last upgrade(I know I have said this many times, but seriously these amps are here to stay).

Comment

Hi Jim123,
                    Yes, NAC202/NAP200/Dual Teddycap(Hicap & NAPSC equivalent). They will most likely be my last upgrade(I know I have said this many times, but seriously these amps are here to stay).
                    Good choice....

Comment

• A few days ago got my new SHL5s.
                      Compared to my good old Martin Logan Aerius, it is more detailed, clearer, warmer, goes deeper with a lot better bass and sounds full in lower levels. A more easy and natural sound anyway.

SHL5
                      Krell KAV-300i
                      Copland CDA-277
                      QED "Original" speaker cable
                      Custom made stands.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Takis,

Your new SHL5 speakers and their stands look very nice! Your hard floor has any influences to the sound (echoes)?

Comment

• Hi Tudor,

Not at all!
                          Everything sounds ok with the Harbeths as with the Martin Logans i had before. In winter, in front of the speakers i lay a carpet 2,50 x 3,50. A second bigger one, is at the other side of the living room which is 6,40 X 6,80 m. (not the ideal dimensions) and is theoretically more damped in the winter because of the two carpets. Anyway since now i have never noticed any unwanted reflections in the room with or mostly without the carpets.
                          Other furniture (all the time) is a big sofa and two smaller, the tv set, a bookcase and another one for the cd's, a big table and a smaller one, six chairs six-seven paintings on the walls and a few other wooden things. Two curtains (not thick) cover half the wall behind the harbeths.

Comment

• Try throwing a thick blanket or duvet over that TV, I think you will notice a quite dramatic improvement in sound stage and imagery.

Comment

• Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
                              Try throwing a thick blanket or duvet over that TV, I think you will notice a quite dramatic improvement in sound stage and imagery.
                              Hi hifi_dave!
                              I did what you said, first I covered the tv and then I removed it (it's on wheels). I noticed an improvement, but it was a minor one either way! I decided to move backwards the tv. The speakers are now 110cm from the back wall, and the tv 70cm behind and not in line between them. I think it's a good compromise, you see, it's a living-room and not dedicated for music.
                              Greetings from Piraeus.

Comment

• I am in the fortunate position of having a dedicated demo room in which to listen to my music but I do realise that the majority of Hi-Fi users have to listen in a sitting room with all it's compromises.

I discovered many years ago that any large and reflective object between the speakers does mess up the imaging and I have shown many customers the effect of covering it with a blanket or duvet. Of course this is unlikely to be domestically acceptable but it may be used when listening seriously to the system. Moving the TV so that it is not in line with the front of the speakers as you have done is a good compromise.

Comment

Working...
                                X