Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's my setup - from the top:
    • Linn LP12 + Ittok LVII + Adikt + Plattamat
    • Naim CD5X
    • Sonneteer Orton
    • Pioneer DV-610AV
    • Kenwood KT-5020L
    • TeddyCap MK3
    • Pure Sound p10
    • Harbeth SHL5 + Skylan stands

What I need is the vacuum RCM (OkkiNokki?) and more music

Comment

• Hi Adam,

What is the veneer of your SHL5? Do you have some side picture?

Sebastien

Comment

• Hi Sebastian,
        It's tiger ebony. I'll take some pics tomorrow, when lighting is better.

Comment

• Some new pictures during a session of cables testing, with the kindness of my friend.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Sebastien View Post
            What is the veneer of your SHL5? Do you have some side picture?
            Here it is:

Comment

• Originally posted by Tudor View Post
              Some new pictures during a session of cables testing...
              What are your conclusion of your cables testing?

Sebastien

Comment

• The conclusion was slightly unexpected. We tested some cables made by manufacturers like Accuphase, Fadel Art, Unison Research or Vodoo Audio and also some DIY cables made by my friend himself which has very good skills in this.
                The best combination for our ears was:
                - power cords for CD player and amplifier: DIY
                - interconnect: DIY
                - speaker cables: Unison Research N5 (single wired)
                It was a very musical combination, with no harshness and a delightful fluidity.
                Unfortunately my friend took back his cables when he left...

Comment

• My listening room

Finally, here is my final setup...

and

It is a dedicated room, made with my own personal sense of design... so it's a bit -how'd I say- basic... but it sounds great!
                  Cheers
                  C

Comment

• My system

Sorry, cannot edit my previous message.
                    Here I try to post something better
                    Sound Front-end

and here the electronics

System is composed of
                    CD Emm Labs CDSA SE
                    Tuner Magnum Dynalab The Etude
                    Preamp Pass XP20
                    Poweramps Pass XA100 (not .5!)
                    All cabled Kimber Select (1121 interconnects and biwiring with 3033 and 3035) and XLO Reference as powercords.
                    Cheers
                    C

Comment

• Looks like a killer system. I bet the class A Pass amps are great with your Harbeths.

Comment

• Hi Carlo,

Looks like you have the little harbeth between the rack. My dream machines.... :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jmohd View Post
                          Hi Carlo,

Looks like you have the little harbeth between the rack. My dream machines.... :-)

He he he...

Comment

• Hi Tudor,

I saw that your cd player is on your Luxman amplifier. As the Luxman runs quite hot, don't you think it's a better idea to separate them? The Luxman will have more ventilation and can run cooler.

By the way, nice SHL5! I really like the eucalyptus finish.

Sebastien

P.s.: I am referring to post #379.

P.p.s: 3 posts without moderation. I'm glad to see that! Thanks for the confidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tudor View Post
                              Some new pictures during a session of cables testing, with the kindness of my friend.
                              Tudor

Nice setup..... Do the SHL5's sound better without the fronts? I have never taken mine off

Jeff

Comment

• Hi Sebastien,
                                Excuse me for the late reply, I saw your question just now. The amplifier and CD player are normally separated, as you can see in my previous photos (post # 366). It was only an accidental situation, to make handier the cable testing.

Hi banyon100,
                                I couldnít say that the sound is definite better with or without the fronts. Anyway SHL5ís sound delightful (in my opinion)! I think that the problem is more for eyes than for ears.

Thanks for your kindly assessments!

Comment

Working...
                                X