Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color appreciation and room treatment

Hi Infobert,

I really like them in rosewood. What are your room dimensions and which treatment do you plan to do?

Sébastien

Comment

• Room treatment ongoing

Hi Peter,

thank you. you are completely right. That´s part of the "room treatment" project...

Regards

Comment

• Some reflections

Hi Sebastien,

room dimensions are 4,5x9 meters and listening position is around 3,5m from the speakers. Next to concealing strips I still have some minor challenges with reflections/echoes as the room is "spartan" furnished. But at the end this is moaning on a very very high level...

Comment

• Stagnated spiral!

Originally posted by tcb1935 View Post
          maybe something is wrong in my high-end audiophile upward spiral? it has stagnated since I harbeths....is that curable?
          Why would you want to be cured?:-) I am very glad to be afflicted by the disease.

Nice pic, nice set up, and looks like a great music collection, that you can look to expand with the money saved.

Comment

• Hi bluejazz, Welcome back

Comment

• SHL5 rosweood

Love to see everyone's Harbeths at home, :- )
              Here's my new "babies" - SHL5's in Rosewood, along with the Blue Circle BC206-NST power amp.
              PICT0240a.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Jmohd View Post
                Hi bluejazz, Welcome back
                Hi It's been a long time . thank you for welcome.

I think you realize who I am from YouTube No ??

Comment

• New P3ESRs - instant upgrade

DSCF0826.JPG

Well, I've always said one day I'll upgrade my P3ES2s to ESRs and have finally done it! Here they are in cherry veneer. Apologies for the horrible TV dominating the room; it's the landlord's and is covering up a hole in the wall and a mess of cables, so it has to stay where it is.

What a blow I have to report! The day my speakers I've been looking forward to all week is the day I go stone deaf in my good ear! (Nothing serious, just wax, but the treatment drops make things worse before the improvement).

Nonetheless I couldn't resist a listen and in spite of everything the audio upgrade is instantly recognisable. A delight.
                  Ben from UK. Harbeth Super HL5 owner.

Comment

• Something Solid

Congrats Ben. The P3ESR sure looks nice on the Something Solid stands.

Comment

• Sudgen Masterclass with the Harbeth

Originally posted by ANADA View Post
                      Hi Jmhod

Well first the disadvantages

1 It is not the punchiest amp around
                      2 In complex passages it clips

The good points are that it is very very clear....
                      and the timbre is so spot on

But i want to say a few words to the forum about the bass problems that some
                      users are experiensing with the M40.1.
                      I also had these problems ...

Hi ANADA,

1. why do you think it clips?
                      Sugden SPA-4 delivers [email protected], do you mean M40.1 sucks more than this?
                      Because of source (or pre-amp) voltage output exceeds input sensitivity of the power amp?
                      Sugden SPA-4 is not a "decent" amp?
                      Should I need MPA-4 which delivers 160W for M40.1?

2. What dou you mean by bass problem with Sugden-Harbeth match? Did you get excess (boomy) bass; or (thin) lack of bass?
                      Which (room or amp or speaker) is the main problem?

Comment

• My setup

After many years of searching and spending a lot of money for hifi stuff i feel satisfaction with my SHL5 now. The only thing i have to find out, if i stay with my lavardin is or i should go for leben cs-600 (because of design issues).....

Beautiful shot! Published shots standard! Lovely...

Comment

• Shelf-mount

Connor Claire Park Underware head 190.jpg
                          my bookshelf 3's really do sit on a bookshelf!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

• My new C7ES3

Hi there,

I'm new at Harbeth, and I just bought a pair of nice HL Compact 7 ES-3 to my setup, which is now like this:

IMG_0500_1600px.jpg

I hope you like it!

Cheers,

Jorge Marcedo

Comment

• Picture update

hey, here's a update. i had the chance to buy much more expensive atc active speaker, but i did not. maybe something is wrong in my high-end audiophile upward spiral? it has stagnated since I harbeths....is that curable?
                              Very nice shot. I think the USM range is wonderful and I just love your floor!

Comment

• Amp quest is over!

Hi Jmhod

I NEVER refered to the SPA4 but to the Integrated Masterclass which i think is rated at 33w. The Spa4 is the final amp i will ever need to drive any speaker.

It is build like a TANK and has all the Power to retrieve any subtle information from the recordings in min volume. My quest and questions about amplifiers is now finished once for all and since then i dont follow the Blog this is why my answer is also dated
                                Have a nice day all of you

Comment

Working...
                                X