Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Originally posted by Soundbyte View Post
    wow... really nice... really nice stands... a really lovely system... Thanks for sharing.... I bet the "tubes" give you the countless sonic bliss!
    The distributor in Malaysia bundled the stands with the SHL5. The stands are made from low-cost hollow steel tubes. I tried building better looking stands similar to this one here - http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...=1814#poststop

But eventually ended up back with the steel stands. Because they simply sound better than the wooden stuff. It may have something to do with the wood materials.

Comment

Originally posted by leekb View Post
      The distributor in Malaysia bundled the stands with the SHL5. The stands are made from low-cost hollow steel tubes. I tried building better looking stands similar to this one here - http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...=1814#poststop

But eventually ended up back with the steel stands. Because they simply sound better than the wooden stuff. It may have something to do with the wood materials.
      I have always preferred my Harbeth spks on unfilled metal stands such as those in your pics rather than wooden stands. They sound more lively & involving that way. By the way, you have a very nice setup & i am sure it sounds every bit as good as it looks.

Comment

Nice pic and nice setup!

Originally posted by Jmohd View Post
        Hi all,

Picture of my set-up:

Speakers: Super HL5 30th Anniversary (Tiger Ebony)
        Room size about 18ft x 9ft x ceiling height 8ft

Hope everyone can contribute as well.

"Bath with Music"

Comment

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I am one of the Harbeth user in Hong Kong. Below is my setup:

digital source : PC / RME9632 / foobar / adobe audition / Benchmark DAC1
          analog source : PRO-JECT RPM 10 /10c tonearm / Ortofon mc rondo bronze
          phono amp : Jeff rowland phono stage mc
          amp : JF Concerto int. / PC-1
          speaker : Harbeth SHL-5 Silver Signature Edition
          cable : NBS MON IV, OIV, northwire #14
          power conditioner : PS Audio UPC-200

Comment

Originally posted by gneonhk View Post
            Hi all,

This is my first post here. I am one of the Harbeth user in Hong Kong. Below is my setup:

Hi,

Wow, nice set-up and the SHL5 looks beautiful. What type of veneer is that?

Any dfferance between the 30th Ann Edition and the Silver Signature Edition?

Is the SHL5 on Skyland speaker stands?

IMO, you can improve the soundstage and depth by covering your TV with portable diffisor.

Rgds

Comment

Here is mine:

Here is the link bringing you to the same photo with tags.

The system consists of the followings:

Panasonic S75
              AudioQuest Hawk Eye
              Benchmark DAC1
              Canare L-4E6S
              Quad 34
              Mogami W2534
              Quad 405-2
              QED Genesis Silver Spiral
              Harbeth M30
              JVC VL-5
              Straight Wire Ultra-Flex

Cheers,
              mike

Comment

Originally posted by Jmohd View Post
                Hi,

Wow, nice set-up and the SHL5 looks beautiful. What type of veneer is that?

Any dfferance between the 30th Ann Edition and the Silver Signature Edition?

Is the SHL5 on Skyland speaker stands?

IMO, you can improve the soundstage and depth by covering your TV with portable diffisor.

Rgds
                Hello Jmohd,

Thanks a lot. Yes. I use Skylan for SHL5.

My SHL5 also Tiger Ebony finishing. But due to incorrect white balance of my DC, overall color tone of the picture become a bit in red.

For the TV cover treatment, I've tried some of the materials. More or less get improving in soundstage or depth, but also affecting overall tonal balance. So I give up at last. You know, there is not much room treatment choice in HK.

Jmohd, the size of my listening is almost same with yours in measurement, but your enviroment is much more professional that make Hong Kong users jelious your lovely places^^. Btw, How about the "run in" progress of your new Harbeth?

Comment

leekb,

i have just bought a pair of new SHL5 and i am still finding a good stands for them. so far i think open frame metal stands should fit my need more than wooden stands. and your photos just give me an excellent reference.

could you please send me a larger photo of your stands for my reference?

and tell me website or contact no. and email of the company which hand made the stands for your SHL5 so that i can contact them?

thanks

Ken
                  Hong Kong

Comment

Originally posted by gneonhk View Post
                    Hi all,

Thanks... you have a really nice setup.... Thanks for sharing!

Cheers...

Comment

Originally posted by eelekim View Post
                      Here is mine:

Here is the link bringing you to the same photo with tags.

The system consists of the followings:

Panasonic S75
                      AudioQuest Hawk Eye
                      Benchmark DAC1
                      Canare L-4E6S
                      Quad 34
                      Mogami W2534
                      Quad 405-2
                      QED Genesis Silver Spiral
                      Harbeth M30
                      JVC VL-5
                      Straight Wire Ultra-Flex

Cheers,
                      mike

Nice.... really nice... M30's with Sound Anchors Stands... Thank you for Sharing....

Cheers.

Comment

Hi All,

Here's my setup:

HLC7ES3
                        VPi Aries Scout Turntable
                        Trichord Research Dino with Dino+ power supply
                        Musical Fidelity A3 CD
                        Cary Audio V12
                        Cary Audio SLP05 (currently being repaired, primary transformer fault - blows fuse)
                        Cary Audio SLP 50 (on loan)
                        Chord Company Chorus interconnects
                        Chord Company Odyssey 4 speaker cables

Currently using the Audiolab8000A mkII (on loan from nephew)

My listening room is fairly small and is heavily damped with sound absorbers and diffusers. I'm planning to buy some corner bass trap soon. Hmmm... I'm still keen on getting the Lavardin IT soon also. I think I need to get new drapes... I think my valve amp's heat has made them shrink.

Regards,
                        Joel

Melbourne, Australia

Comment

Originally posted by do_Ob View Post

Hi All,

Here's my setup:

HLC7ES3
                          Musical Fidelity A3 CD
                          Cary Audio V12
                          Cary Audio SLP05 (currently being repaired, primary transformer fault - blows fuse)

My listening room is fairly small and is heavily damped with sound absorbers and diffusers. I'm planning to buy some corner bass trap soon. Hmmm... I'm still keen on getting the Lavardin IT soon also. I think I need to get new drapes... I think my valve amp's heat has made them shrink.

Regards,
                          Joel

Melbourne, Australia
                          Very nice & cozy looking setup indeed especially the wooden stands. Compliments the C7 ES3 very well. Lavardin IT is a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gan CK View Post
                            Very nice & cozy looking setup indeed especially the wooden stands. Compliments the C7 ES3 very well. Lavardin IT is a good choice.
                            Yes. Vice nice!! The wooden stands are very attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by do_Ob View Post

Hi All,

Here's my setup:

HLC7ES3
                              Musical Fidelity A3 CD
                              Cary Audio V12

Regards,
                              Joel

Melbourne, Australia
                              Joel,
                              You have a very cozy setup.... Good choice, I am also using Lavardin amp but it is the IS Reference version. Thanks for sharing....

Cheers.

Comment

The Harbeth's are indeed very cozy!. I am truly happy with the sound I am getting now. I had the whole family auditioning the C7s when I first fired them up. Everyone noticed how natural it sounds and the phenominal imaging. All I can say is - No more tintinitus here!.

The Lavardin IT is my wishlist at the moment... I have been drooling over this amp since it was reviewed back in the mid 90s by one UK hifi magazine. Unfortunately, we have no distributor here for the amp and there is an option of getting one from Singapore or from the UK.

As far as which Lavardin model to go for... I guess the IS Reference is the wiser choice. From what I have read upon in my research, it seems to have the same characteristics to that of the IT model.

I have spent too much money on this hobby from years gone by. It is time to get back to what all the fuss is about... MUSIC!.

Cheers,
                                Joel

Comment

Working...
                                X