Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

INTRODUCTION- PLEASE READ FIRST TO UNDERSTAND THIS FORUM!

"This Harbeth User Group (HUG) is the Manufacturer's own managed forum dedicated to natural sound, realisable by controlling the confounding variables between tthe microphone and the listeners' ears.

For example, the design of and interaction between the hifi amplifier and its speaker load can and potentially will alter the sound balance of what you hear. To reproduce the sounds captured by the recording microphones, as Harbeth speakers are designed to do, you would naturally select system components (sources, electronics, cables and so on) that do not color the sound before it reaches the speakers.

Identifying components for their system neutrality should, logically, start with the interpretation and analysis of their technical, objective performance, as any and every deviation from a measurably flat frequency response at any point along the serial chain from microphone to ear is very likely to cause the total system to have an audible sonic personality. That includes the contribution of the listening room itself.

HUG specialises in making complex technical matters simple to understand, aiding the identification of audio components likely to maintain a faithful relationship between the recorded sound and the sound you hear. With our heritage of natural sound, HUG cannot be really be expected to guide in the selection, approval, endorsement or even discussion of equipment that is intend to introduce a significantly personalised sound to the audio signal chain. For that you should do your own research and above all, make the effort to visit an Authorised Dealer and listen to your music at your loudness on your loudspeakers through the various electronics offered there. There is no on-line substitute for that time investment in a dealer's showroom.

If you desire to intentionally tune your system sound to your personal taste, please consider carefully how much you should rely upon the subjective opinions of strangers. Their hearing acuity and taste will be different to yours, as will be their motives and budget, their listening distance, listening loudness and listening room treatment, not necessarily leading to appropriate equipment selection and listening satisfaction for you.

Alternatively, if faithfully reproducing the sound intended by the composer, score, conductor and musicians over your speakers is your audio dream, then understanding something of the issues likely to fulfill that objective is what this forum has been helping with since 2006. Welcome!"


Jan. 2018
See more
See less

Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

    Originally posted by do_Ob View Post
    The Harbeth's are indeed very cozy!. I am truly happy with the sound I am getting now. I had the whole family auditioning the C7s when I first fired them up. Everyone noticed how natural it sounds and the phenominal imaging. All I can say is - No more tintinitus here!.

    The Lavardin IT is my wishlist at the moment... I have been drooling over this amp since it was reviewed back in the mid 90s by one UK hifi magazine. Unfortunately, we have no distributor here for the amp and there is an option of getting one from Singapore or from the UK.

    As far as which Lavardin model to go for... I guess the IS Reference is the wiser choice. From what I have read upon in my research, it seems to have the same characteristics to that of the IT model.

    I have spent too much money on this hobby from years gone by. It is time to get back to what all the fuss is about... MUSIC!.

    Cheers,
    Joel
    You're right on the IS Reference, when I audition and compare with IT, IS Reference is very close but IT still have better control over IS Ref, larger sound stage and lots of power reserve. This does not mean the IS Ref is weak... but it is noticeable compared to IT. I am using in a 6 meters X 4 Meters room is plenty of power for me. BTW in France, Lavardin is the distributor for Harbeth! Check out their website Http://www.lavardin.com

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

      Nice photos, all! I remember that awhile back A.S. gave instructions for posting photos but I can't seem to find them now. Can anyone post such instructions - step by step for the absolute novice computer person - including size and/or resolution of photo to be posted? Thanks - Ned

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

        Originally posted by do_Ob View Post
        The Harbeth's are indeed very cozy!. I am truly happy with the sound I am getting now. I had the whole family auditioning the C7s when I first fired them up. Everyone noticed how natural it sounds and the phenominal imaging. All I can say is - No more tintinitus here!.

        The Lavardin IT is my wishlist at the moment... I have been drooling over this amp since it was reviewed back in the mid 90s by one UK hifi magazine. Unfortunately, we have no distributor here for the amp and there is an option of getting one from Singapore or from the UK.

        As far as which Lavardin model to go for... I guess the IS Reference is the wiser choice. From what I have read upon in my research, it seems to have the same characteristics to that of the IT model.

        I have spent too much money on this hobby from years gone by. It is time to get back to what all the fuss is about... MUSIC!.

        Cheers,
        Joel
        Hi do_Ob, before you take the plunge on Lavardin, also have a listen to LFD if possible. As far as i know, the dealer for LFD is in New Zealand. Have a look at this link. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics...-142948414.htm

        I find the synergy between LFD & Harbeth rather phenomenal. At the end of the day, if you still prefer Lavardin, then by all means go for it.

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

          Hi Gan,

          Where to audition the LFD in Singapore?
          Have you listen to Leben CS600?

          I'm thinking of a 2nd set-up build around SHL5.

          It seems that many Hi-end emplifier makers are now producing int amp in the same price range for e.g. Gamut T and Pass Labs. I wonder how they sound with Harberth speakers?

          So many to choose from.

          Rgds
          Last edited by Jmohd; 07-05-2008, 07:23 PM. Reason: add words

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

            Originally posted by Jmohd View Post
            Hi Gan,

            Where to audition the LFD in Singapore?
            Have you listen to Leben CS600?

            I'm thinking of a 2nd set-up build around SHL5.

            It seems that many Hi-end emplifier makers are now producing int amp in the same price range for e.g. Gamut T and Pass Labs. I wonder how they sound with Harberth speakers?

            So many to choose from.

            Rgds
            Hi Jmohd, pls contact Dr Roland Tan at 97650136 if you wish to listen to LFD with SHL-5. Alternatively, you can also email him at [email protected] for more info on LFD.

            I've not listened to the Leben CS600 yet but hope to listen to one soon especially with SHL-5. Yes there are many amps to choose from but i personally prefer amps that exibit high musicality & correct tonality/timbre (just like Harbeth speakers) rather than those that have brute power but don't sound correct or emotionally detached. Therefore, going by that notion has narrowed my choice by quite a fair bit. I hope this helps.

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

              Gan and Jmohd
              I have listened to BOTH the LFD MI100 Monos and the Leben CS-600 (the latter I own) and can unequivocably say that either one will be a fine match, albeit sounding quite different. With the Leben, you will have to tube roll (which can be a pain in the back) while the LFD is less fussy and is simply a plug and play affair. Much will boil down to your personal preferences. I am afraid my ears have been conditioned to tube sound for more than a decade, thus my preference for the Leben.

              Having said that, I am tempted to own the LFD for days when I just want to listen to something different! LOL!

              Best Regards
              Dennis

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

                I hear you... this amp (LFD) is also in my wishlist.

                I am organising to take a home auditioning of the Naim Supernait with CD5x combo from a dealer here. Dealer is extremely slack in replying with my request. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

                The ways things are at the moment...
                1) Lavardin IS Ref/ IT
                2) LFD
                3) Naim Supernait

                I would also like to hear from Naim users out there with Harbeth loudspeakers.

                Keep those pictures coming. It's very interesting to see different real world combos out there.

                Regards,
                Joel

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

                  Originally posted by do_Ob View Post
                  I hear you... this amp (LFD) is also in my wishlist.

                  I am organising to take a home auditioning of the Naim Supernait with CD5x combo from a dealer here. Dealer is extremely slack in replying with my request. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

                  The ways things are at the moment...
                  1) Lavardin IS Ref/ IT
                  2) LFD
                  3) Naim Supernait

                  I would also like to hear from Naim users out there with Harbeth loudspeakers.

                  Keep those pictures coming. It's very interesting to see different real world combos out there.

                  Regards,
                  Joel
                  It looks like your choice of amp is geared towards PRaT. The 3 amps that you listed are excellent choices.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

                    Hi Joel,

                    I think you should also try Densen, which is what I am using right now with my Compact 7.

                    Regards,
                    Chris

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

                      Originally posted by Ned Mast View Post
                      Nice photos, all! I remember that awhile back A.S. gave instructions for posting photos but I can't seem to find them now. Can anyone post such instructions - step by step for the absolute novice computer person - including size and/or resolution of photo to be posted? Thanks - Ned
                      Ned,
                      Is quite easy.... just follow these steps....
                      1. Go to http://www.tinypic.com


                      2. Bowse your computer directory and search for your system picture
                      3. click on Upload
                      4. Once completed just copy the IMG codes for Forum and Message board


                      5. then paste in the body of the message with "[IMG]' tags


                      Hope this helps... For the Size ... generally up to 1024 X 768 is usually is max you should go...

                      Cheers.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

                        Thanks Soundbyte - I'll give this a try.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

                          Hi All,

                          Out of curiousity, what cartridges are people using with their turntable setup?

                          Personally, I am using Ortofon Kontrapunkt b and currently have on mount a Shelter 501 II.

                          Best Regards,
                          Joel

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

                            Originally posted by do_Ob View Post
                            Hi All,

                            Out of curiousity, what cartridges are people using with their turntable setup?

                            Personally, I am using Ortofon Kontrapunkt b and currently have on mount a Shelter 501 II.

                            Best Regards,
                            Joel
                            i'm using pro-ject rpm10 with ortofon mc bronze

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

                              Originally posted by do_Ob View Post
                              Hi All,

                              Out of curiousity, what cartridges are people using with their turntable setup?

                              Personally, I am using Ortofon Kontrapunkt b and currently have on mount a Shelter 501 II.

                              Best Regards,
                              Joel
                              I'm using Audio Technica AT33PTG on a dps2 turntable.

                              Cheers...

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

                                Hi folks, here is a picture of my very modest setup.



                                The system comprises of the following:

                                1) Harbeth SHL-5 on custom made stands
                                2) Arcam A85 integrated amp
                                3) Rotel RCD-971 cd player
                                4) Vintage Micro Seiki MB-14 Turntable
                                5) Trigon Vanguard 2 phono pre amp
                                6) Assortment of belden & Qed cables
                                7) Ikea hifi rack

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X