Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Originally posted by ical View Post

My hifi system consist of
    - Monrio Top Loader Type 2 CD Player with TAOC TITE-35S Super Insulator
    - 2x Hi-Fi Tuning Fuse (CD)
    - TAOC SCB-RS50G Platform (CD)
    - Quad QC-24 Preamp (Tube: 1x NOS GE 6111) with TAOC TITE-35S Super Insulator
    - Quad II Forty Mono Amps with Soundcare SuperSpike 2 High-End (Tubes: 4x NOS Tungsol 6550, 4x NOS Raytheon 6SH7GT, 2x NOS Mullard CV378/GZ37)
    - Harbeth Super HL-5 with JPS Jumper Cables
    - TAOC Stabilizer SBL-13MT (under speakers)
    - Sound Anchor Stands with TAOC Spike Plates PTS-F
    - Acrolink 7N-D5000 Interconnects (CD to Preamp)
    - Acrolink 7N-A2070 Interconnect (Preamp to Amps)
    - The Chord Company Signature Speaker Cables with Furutech Banana Plugs FP-202
    - 6x Cardas Golden Cuboids (to raise speaker cables off the floor)
    - Acrolink 6N-PC6100 support by Acoustic Revive Cable Insulator RCI-3 (CD)
    - Acrolink 6N-P4030 with Oyaide IEC & US Plugs P/C004 (Preamp)
    - 2x Oyaide Tunami GPX (Amps)
    - 3x Isoclean Power Audio Grade Fuse (Preamp & Amps)
    - Solidsteel Rack 5.4 with Spikes & Shoes & 5kg Leadshot
    - Oyaide R1 Wall Outlet (Isotek & Oyaide MTB-6)
    - CSE KR100 Isolation Regulator with TAOC TITE-46PIN Insulator (CD& Preamp)
    - Isotek GII Mini Sub with TAOC TITE-46PIN Insulator (CSE)
    - Oyaide MTB-6 Power Distributor with R1 Outlet & Acoustic Revive Outlet Stabilizer CS-2F (Amps)
    - Marigo Audio Signature 3-D Stabilizer Mat
    - Acoustic Revive Disc Demagnetizer RD-3
    - Acoustic Revive Ultra Low-frequency Pulse Generator RR-77 with Kingrex PSU
    - Eichmann Express AC with Oyaide P-079 Plugs (Isotek)
    - LAT Internaional AC-2 Powercord (CSE)
    - Oyaide Tunami GPX (Oyaide MTB-6)
    - DH Labs Power Plus with Wattagate IEC & US Plugs Power Cord (Kingrex)
    Nice setup ical! I hope I can hv some diffusers like yours..
    "Bath with Music"

Comment

Originally posted by keithwwk View Post
      Nice setup ical! I hope I can hv some diffusers like yours..
      Thanks, keithwwk. The diffusers are price quite reasonable so not a problem of getting them. Btw, I've just upgraded few of my cables, components and etc as well as adding two more diffusers to the side wall behind the speakers. Sound way better than before. You're most welcome to drop by for a listen.

Comment

Here is a picture of my traditional flat earthed set-up which I am very happy with. It consists of the following:-

Quad CD67
        Michell Gyrodeck/RB250/Denon DL110
        Frank Pipit II phonostage (local Malaysian Company)
        Quad 34/306 (in the picture I am using 2 306s monoblocked. Now reverted to 1)
        Quad speaker cables and interconnects.
        Harbeth Compact 7
        Custom 'Sam Chan' speaker stands
        Custom LP/Hifi Rack

Comment

Originally posted by sleme View Post
          Here is a picture of my traditional flat earthed set-up which I am very happy with. It consists of the following:-

Quad CD67
          Harbeth Compact 7
          Custom LP/Hifi Rack

Very nice setup there. Thks for sharing.

Comment

Quad CD67
            Harbeth Compact 7
            Custom LP/Hifi Rack
            Cool... thanks for sharing... BTW which model of Compact 7 are you using ES2 or ES3?

Cheers.

Comment

Quad CD67
              Harbeth Compact 7
              Custom LP/Hifi Rack

Very nice setup. Thks for sharing...I think there must be quite a lot of harbethian in M'sia...
              "Bath with Music"

Comment

Originally posted by Soundbyte View Post
                Cool... thanks for sharing... BTW which model of Compact 7 are you using ES2 or ES3?

Cheers.
                Its an ES2. I lucky guy traded it in for a pair of HL5s. This gave me a reason to trade my HLP3s for these babies. Amazing transformation to my system.

On the point that there are many 'Harbethians' in Malaysia, I have to agree with that sentiment. Its a combination of many things. Brilliant product and excellent and passionate dealer by the name of Sam Chan. The nicest thing about owning a Harbeth is knowing the fact that you own what can be considered the best known secret in the hifi scene and to the others, deep down we know that they have yet to be 'enlightened' and that they should really be listening to music rather than hifi.

It amazes me how the distributor here goes against all norms and conventions and sticks a finger to the rest of the hifi community at the Kuala Lumpur AV show by having what many considers the most musical and natural sounding set up in the show. His usual set up, Quad CD66, 66 pre and 606 power with cheap looking Quad interconnects and your bog standard Canary copper cables with a pair of either HL5 or Compact 7. The look of amazement in the faces of visitors there is truly priceless.

Yet, despite their ears telling them otherwise, it is always back to some esoteric over-priced speakers which are the flavour of the month or year for Stereophile that they end up buying. Sad..

Had a chat once with one of the dealers in KL who was dealing with some esoteric Italian or Danish speakers who had a pair of LS3/5As in a glass showcase under lock and key. When asked why didn?t he set it up permanently like the rest of the speakers in the showroom, his answer, how then do you expect me to sell the other speakers?

To Alan Shaw?. Thanks for building such a brilliant product.

Comment

Its an ES2. I lucky guy traded it in for a pair of HL5s. This gave me a reason to trade my HLP3s for these babies. Amazing transformation to my system.

On the point that there are many 'Harbethians' in Malaysia, I have to agree with that sentiment. Its a combination of many things. Brilliant product and excellent and passionate dealer by the name of Sam Chan. The nicest thing about owning a Harbeth is knowing the fact that you own what can be considered the best known secret in the hifi scene and to the others, deep down we know that they have yet to be 'enlightened' and that they should really be listening to music rather than hifi.

It amazes me how the distributor here goes against all norms and conventions and sticks a finger to the rest of the hifi community at the Kuala Lumpur AV show by having what many considers the most musical and natural sounding set up in the show. His usual set up, Quad CD66, 66 pre and 606 power with cheap looking Quad interconnects and your bog standard Canary copper cables with a pair of either HL5 or Compact 7. The look of amazement in the faces of visitors there is truly priceless.

Yet, despite their ears telling them otherwise, it is always back to some esoteric over-priced speakers which are the flavour of the month or year for Stereophile that they end up buying. Sad..

Had a chat once with one of the dealers in KL who was dealing with some esoteric Italian or Danish speakers who had a pair of LS3/5As in a glass showcase under lock and key. When asked why didn?t he set it up permanently like the rest of the speakers in the showroom, his answer, how then do you expect me to sell the other speakers?

To Alan Shaw?. Thanks for building such a brilliant product.
                  Well said Sleme. Yes indeed its really sad that many people with deep pockets are still succumbing to the attraction of everything else except pure musicality. Perhaps Harbeth speakers just don't have sufficient snob appeal. No matter what, i can never understand why people can spend so much money buying very "expensive" speakers that does not deliver what it is supposed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Gan CK View Post
                    Well said Sleme. Yes indeed its really sad that many people with deep pockets are still succumbing to the attraction of everything else except pure musicality. Perhaps Harbeth speakers just don't have sufficient snob appeal. No matter what, i can never understand why people can spend so much money buying very "expensive" speakers that does not deliver what it is supposed to do.
                    In this perspective I do agree... one of my colleague can't stand the sight of box speakers, he prefers "modern" shape speakers with curves that is pleasing to his eyes first. He reluctant to hear Harbeth because of the shape...

Comment

wow...i'm glad that Harbeth speakers do look good to me, so do Spendor and Audio Note speakers. Apparently the look of these squarish speakers do grow on me. So do Norton, BSA and Ariel motorcycles

Curvy, glossy speakers are gorgeous and sexy looking but i'm glad i cannot afford them.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundbyte View Post
                        In this perspective I do agree... one of my colleague can't stand the sight of box speakers, he prefers "modern" shape speakers with curves that is pleasing to his eyes first. He reluctant to hear Harbeth because of the shape...
                        I watched a tv programe while I was in the bus this morning: a 3 or 5 yrs old japanese litle girl playing piano with awesome concentration and produced good music together with 3 young violinists...she is born blind...
                        "Bath with Music"

Comment

Me next
                          C7s, with Sugden CD player and Rothwell amplification
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice to see a Sudgen CD Player. I'm a very big fan! I 'accidentally' bought one recently when I inadvertently heard one against my Linn Universal player.

Comment

Had a demmo of the masterclass CDP with Masterclass integrated when buying my compact 7s, sounded fantastic.
                              Think I agree with A.S. though, in that if I was starting afresh, I would start with the Harbeths

Comment

In fact:

(With SHL5s)
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X