Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

P3ESR vs SHL5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P3ESR - a dealer tricks the customer ...

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I'd just like to say that the P3ESR is the best 'mini monitor' I've heard. I spent all Friday afternoon listening to my new demo pair playing loads of old favourite vinyl and CD's with not a thought of putting on a larger pair of speakers.

On first listen, I was amazed at the amount of and quality of bass from this tiny but beautifully formed cabinet. I even managed the trick of demo'ing them to a customer who thought he was listening to the much larger speakers in the room.

Obviously, a prospective customer should hear them for himself and they could well be all the speaker you will need.
    By the way, where can we find the price list of all Harbeth models? Is there such a price list, which is publicly available? How much do the P3ESR and SHL5 cost?

Comment

Pricing ...

For prices, you should contact your local retailer as these are not published on the Harbeth web site.

To give you an example based on the UK retail price, the SHL5 is 70% more expensive then the P3ESR for the same veneer. But it's much bigger! I just checked and measuring the outside dimensions the SLH5 is actually six times the external volume of the P3ESR so it should be six times the price! The SHL5 is a bargain!!

Note about size etc.: As Alan said a few posts ago the P3ESR is a small speaker with a big speaker sound. But please do remember that while the P3ESR is silky smooth and has a great bass if you really want to make a big, loud sound in your country mansion rocking the night away, the SHL5 (for example) at six times the size is a more logical choice!
      Harbeth PR,
      Harbeth UK

Comment

Re: P3ESR vs SHL5

In GB the P3ESR starts at ?1349 and the HL5 at ?2279, both very reasonable (IMO) when you take a look at the quality of the components, the hand-built construction quality and the sound. For similar amounts you can buy empty, cheap boxes which sound naff !!!

You've read it before many times about small speakers but the P3ESR really does give the impression of being a much larger speaker and it does the disappearing trick really well.

As for the HL5 (for what it's worth) it is one of the very best speakers I have heard regardless of price and size - it is stunningly good and now I'm wondering just how much better is the Monitor 40 ?

Comment

Re: My current speakers and set-up

Originally posted by valve View Post
          Well, what I like from my current speakers? That's a tough one for me now...

I like their "openness" (very subjective term, isn't it?), the natural-like reproduction of voices and stereo-imaging. My speakers have a super-tweeter as well (like the SHL5), but in this case it's a rear-firing one. I think that it helps to create a deeper soundstage.

I very rarely listen to music at high sound levels and I practically listen to all kinds of music apart from classical (sorry!).

My room is approx. 8mx4m, the speakers are placed along the smaller dimension (2.5m from each other) and my listening position is in the centre of the room, i.e. approx. 3.5m from the speakers.

My current speakers (Snell Type E II) are bigger (taller) than the SHL5 (dimensions: 13" W by 35" H by 11" D). You can find a review here http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1091snell/ I recently refoamed the mid-range/bass units, because the drive foam suspension had been destroyed over time (my speakers must have been manufactured in the mid '80s)

Well?
          Hi Valve, i believe the sonic differences between Audio Note & Harbeth spks were touched on before by myself on one of those threads here. Anyway, my general impression of Audio Note spks is that they are very fast, lively, open & transparent. But, they also have a tendency to sound lean, forward, aggressive & edgy, unless the driving system (amp & source) veers towards being laidback & slow. Switching over to a pair of Harbeths immediately after Audio Note will almost give you that 'solar eclipse' effect on your ears. The Harbeth will initially sound slower & give the impression of being less open, transparent & lively. As the 2 spks sound rather different, people will inevitably like one over the other. There are no 2 ways about it. That's why JA of stereophile prefers the Audio Note over the M40.1. If you are used to your Audio Note type of presentation, then in all honesty, i don't think you'll like Harbeth, be it P3R or SHL-5.

However, if you ask me, i'd say that Harbeth sounds more correct, natural & true to the timbre & tonality of real musical instruments but to those who are used to more upfront & faster sounding spks, Harbeths may sound a tad lacklustre & lacking in verve. What are your musical inclinations? Since you don't listen to classical, do you listen to a lot of rock & or music with lots of electrical instruments?

Comment

Originally posted by Gan CK View Post
            ...What are your musical inclinations? Since you don't listen to classical, do you listen to a lot of rock & or music with lots of electrical instruments?
            Hi Gan CK,
            since you are asking about my musical preferences, I listen to almost everything but classical. Examples:
            Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, ...but also
            Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Johnny Cash, Eric Clapton, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, ... but also
            Dream Syndicate, Green on Red, Violent Femmes, Giant Sand, Jeff Buckley, ... but also
            Jefferson Airplane, It's a beautiful day, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Love, ... but also
            Rolling Stones, Animals, Byrds, Doors, Janis Joplin, Van Morrison, Tim Buckley, ...but also
            Sam Cooke, Muddy Waters, Elmore James, ... but also
            Tom Waits,
            many more in R&B, Jazz, Reggae, etc.

In general, lately I prefer music that has vocals at the centre.
            (Sorry for making things difficult...)

Comment

Originally posted by valve View Post
              Hi Gan CK,
              since you are asking about my musical preferences, I listen to almost everything but classical. Examples:
              Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, ...but also
              Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Johnny Cash, Eric Clapton, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, ... but also
              Dream Syndicate, Green on Red, Violent Femmes, Giant Sand, Jeff Buckley, ... but also
              Jefferson Airplane, It's a beautiful day, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Love, ... but also
              Rolling Stones, Animals, Byrds, Doors, Janis Joplin, Van Morrison, Tim Buckley, ...but also
              Sam Cooke, Muddy Waters, Elmore James, ... but also
              Tom Waits,
              many more in R&B, Jazz, Reggae, etc.

In general, lately I prefer music that has vocals at the centre.
              (Sorry for making things difficult...)
              Hi Valve, thks for sharing your musical preference with us here. Harbeths sound great on everything except for heavy rock/metal music played at very high SPLs. Have a listen to a pair of SHL-5 & see if they are what you are looking for.

Comment

P3ESR after 6 hours wonderful listening - amazing resolution

That is a loaded question (SHL5 or P3ESR - which to buy)! You really are comparing apples and oranges! I have only had 6 hours to listen to my P3ESRs but have had 4 months to enjoy the SHL5's. It would would be nearly impossible to comment on the P3ESRs as I do not believe they are close to being broken in yet.

I can say this: So far they are wonderful in many ways that few other speakers any price, or size can match. The quality of midrange resolution is simply amazing. I know it will only get better.

I can also say that the 5s have an effortless upper register with an overall balance that says music, not speaker. My advice is to get both. Life is short, love them both for different reasons.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts on P3ESR vs SHL5...

I am also a very happy SHL5 owner, thinking of adding the P3ESR for use in a second system. On a smaller scale piece of music which spotlights the midrange, eg simple acoustic (say solo voice and guitar) how would you compare the midrange of the two speakers?

How much of the gorgeous midrange weight and texture that the SHL5s excel in does the P3ESR reproduce?

Looking forward to your further thoughts....

Comment

Wondering if anybody here has compared the P3R to the legendary LS-3/5A?

Comment

I have and have bought a pair of P3ESR.

I must own up to not being a fan of the LS3/5A. As a dealer from back when the LS3/5A was a current speaker, we used to always keep a pair on demo to make comparisons with other small speakers we had in stock and the LS3/5A very rarely sold.

To me, the LS3/5A is sloooooow, small, lacks bass and doesn't go loud enough to satisfy me. They are not easy to get going and just when you think things are looking up, they go 'donk, donk'. The mid band is OK for vocals but doesn't do much else and the top is thick and lacks air. The new P3ESR, does all these things just right. From the moment I put them on, I was knocked out by the amount of real bass they produce and they go plenty loud enough for me with my taste for 'Rock' music. They are easy to drive, are pacey, communicative and sparkle, they also do vocals superbly.

The P3ESR is one of the very few small speakers I can live with. They are superb.

David

Comment

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
                        I have and have bought a pair of P3ESR.

I must own up to not being a fan of the LS3/5A. As a dealer from back when the LS3/5A was a current speaker, we used to always keep a pair on demo to make comparisons with other small speakers we had in stock and the LS3/5A very rarely sold.

To me, the LS3/5A is sloooooow, small, lacks bass and doesn't go loud enough to satisfy me. They are not easy to get going and just when you think things are looking up, they go 'donk, donk'. The mid band is OK for vocals but doesn't do much else and the top is thick and lacks air. The new P3ESR, does all these things just right. From the moment I put them on, I was knocked out by the amount of real bass they produce and they go plenty loud enough for me with my taste for 'Rock' music. They are easy to drive, are pacey, communicative and sparkle, they also do vocals superbly.

The P3ESR is one of the very few small speakers I can live with. They are superb.

David
                        Hi David, thks for the detailed comparison on the LS-3/5A & P3ESR. Looks like the P3ESR is going to set new standards as far as miniature spks are concerned. The new 5 inch Radial driver looks sooooo cute.

Comment

I have owned the P3ESR speakers for a week now.I think A.S. has really outdone himself with this latest design. I have heard all of the larger Harbeth speakers, but the new P3ESR, in many respects gives all of them a run for the money. The clarity, texture and emotion these little/BIG speakers convey is really quite amazing. Don't be fooled by their diminutive size. They fill my medium sized room with beautiful sound.

Comment

They are amzing little boxes and the possible volume levels are more than enough for most owners, even head-bangers like me and they do it with very modest amps. I used a pair of vintage Quad II's the other day - a mighty 12 watts per side and we had no trouble filling the room with high quality music.

Everyone I have demo'd them to has done what I now call the ' P3ESR double-take '. When you first put them on, the listener thinks he knows what is coming but as soon as he is hit with the bass, the scale, the power and the sheer believability of these incredible little monitors, the listener always sits up in surprise and then the smile kicks in.....

Comment

I can confirm that I was able to do just this comparison a few days ago, with the 40.1 as a reference..

My own opinion is that the SHL5 is a great speaker if listened to in isolation. Big, rich toned and very sweet, I did find that in the room used, the mid-bass warmth (clean and NOT bloated) dominated the rather fine midband a little in comparison with the other two. In a different room this may have been different. Upper mid and top were excellent as you expect from this maker

The little P3ESR is a masterpiece, the ONLY tradeoff being the inevitable reduction in sensitivity and ultimate bass handling in-extremis. It really does disappear and fool you into thinking it's a bigger speaker. The finish is exquisite and you really feel as if you're buying a high quality product worthy of the purchase price. The sound is so natural, unforced and sweet in the treble. For acoustic instruments and older contemporary music, I'd see no problems whatsoever in the bass, as it's articulate and "tuneful" in flat-earth speak and only an old "Massive Attack" CD (Protection) got the bass unit "doubling" at moderate volume - Let's be honest, I suspect very few of you all would ever play such music on small Harbeths anyway ;).

As for the 40.1..................... - I wish I could afford and accommodate a pair........

Comment

Originally posted by DSRANCE View Post
                                ...As for the 40.1..................... - I wish I could afford and accommodate a pair........
                                What do you mean by "accomodate" a pair of M40.1? May I ask how big your room is?

I am considering a pair for my roughly 13' X 17' dedicated listening room. Drywall over frame consruction (ie. lossy). I would place them on the long wall and listen nearfield. Do you think this would be hopeless? Would I be better off with C7-ES3?
                                Last edited by Will; 30-10-2009, 03:02 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X