Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

SHL5 or C7 ES-3, good matching with Luxman L505u?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coredump View Post
    Hi, what is the difference in the Luxman amplifier lineup? can anybody shed some lights on them..
    L509u
    L590AII
    L507u
    L550AII
    L505u the ultimate model..
    It might surprise you but the L-505u is the entry integrated amplifier in the Luxman brand. It looks like he offers a great ratio of quality and price.

Here's Luxman web page on their integrated amp:

http://www.luxman.co.jp/global/product/index.html#h3

Sebastien

Comment

Originally posted by EricW View Post
      I imagine that that means that the transformer they supply is bigger than it needs to be for your purpose, since North American and Japanese voltages aren't actually that far apart. I almost wonder if a Japanese spec unit would run in North America without a transformer: I've had Japanese friends do that with various electrical appliances, without any noticeably bad results. Not that I'm recommending it necessarily: it's too much money to take chances with. But it might be worth doing a little more research.
      Hi Eric,

I'm wondering the same thing because japanese's voltage is quite similar of the one in Quebec. But, as you suggest, I won't take chance.

For the rest, I do have difficulties to get more information about voltage transformer use in audio and its "effect" on the sound or component. If there is any. Which I'm not sure... Logically, when the voltage is set at the house standard, I don't see where the problem can be.

Sebastien

Comment

Originally posted by kittykat View Post
        Hi coredump, the ones with "A" run in class A mode, the rest in AB i think, the higher the number, the more $$$.
        OIC. Thanks for sharing the hierarchy of the Luxman.. clearing the confusion..

the ultimate model range as follow:
        highest model: L509u
        middle model: L507u
        entry model: L505u

how much is the L505u. currency?

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastien View Post

At that time, I can buy Luxman from the USA ($3700 USD for a L-505u) or from Japan with Audio Cubes 2 ($2500 USD for the L-505u). This is the japanese version who comes with the voltage transformer.

Second opinion are welcome!

Sebastien
          I'm a little surprised more people haven't weighed in on this. I think it's an interesting question: what should Sebastien do? Assuming he buys the Luxman L-505u on the basis of strong reviews and recommendations, does he buy the "gray market" Japanese version at $2500, or the North American version from the U.S. distributor at $3700? And why?

I'd say this is a no-brainer if Sebastien had a local dealer who could actually provide a proper demo, after-purchase service, and so on. In that case, he should pay the extra and support the dealer.

But here, either way he's buying without benefit of a demo. So - apart from the issue of the transformer - is the U.S. importer really providing $1200 of extra value? If so, how?

Being in Canada myself, I also face this issue of well-regarded products that don't have local dealers or sometimes even a distributor in the country. If I pay full retail to a U.S. dealer or distributor, it actually ends up costing even more than that because of shipping, duties, etc.

So what's the right thing to do in this situation?

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks Eric for your reply. I'm surprise too. I'm also waiting for feedback because I'm ready to commit myself and buy a new amp.

Here at home, it's quite disappointing. I sold my Audio Physic Virgo III speakers two weeks ago and my Antique Sound Lab tube amplifier last Saturday. I'm left with my old Kenwood amplifier and Camber monitors.

My new SHL5 are suppose to arrived at the end of the month and I just want to have more feedback about the use of Luxman L-505u voltage transformer then buy it.

At the SSI, I heard the L-509u with Vivid speakers. I like both. For uses and budget reasons, I will go with the L-505u.

About Luxman in Canada, I heard of a place in Toronto where they sell Luxman products. Plus, there is a store in Montreal who will probably sell that brand in the future. Don't know who, don't know when. That's Philip O'Hanlon president of On A Higer Note distribution who told me that at the SSI. Will see. This meen a place that can do the maintenance in the future.

Sebastien

Comment

Sometimes, there is no one better than yourself to do the thing. Here it is! I found an interesting thread from Audiogon regarding the use of a voltage transformer with Luxman product from Japan. Plus, there are exchanges about the "grey" market vs. USA distribution.

Yours to read:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...openfrom&1&4#1

Sebastien

Comment

Hi Sebastien

Are you not keen on Brystons, Anthems or Classe's? Id think they may be good value where you are, since they are made closer to you, no?

kittykat

Comment

According to the reviews, the Simaudio "Moon" series is very nice gear as well, and even made in Quebec...

Another nice Canadian option is Blue Circle: not widely distributed, but the ones I've heard do sound truly excellent.

I don't doubt the Luxman amps are very very good, but if you have Harbeth speakers, it's probably just slightly sweeter icing on an already delicious cake.

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine View Post
                    Hi Tudor,

My apologies, did not notice you'd indicated your room size in one of your reply.
                    A C7ES3 seems a good fit for your room

Have fun...
                    Thanks sunshine. I have already ordered SHL5! Maybe C7ES3 could be more suitable for my room but there are some reasons for my decision:
                    - Alan himself said that SHL5 was designed in a space of 3x3 m, and they work very well
                    - I frequently listen to low volume late in the night. I think SHL5 could be better in this case, they are more linear at low volume
                    - I don’t want any upgrade for a long period on! SHL5 seems to be a choice for a long time…

Comment

Originally posted by Tudor View Post
                      Thanks sunshine. I have already ordered SHL5! Maybe C7ES3 could be more suitable for my room but there are some reasons for my decision:
                      - Alan himself said that SHL5 was designed in a space of 3x3 m, and they work very well
                      - I frequently listen to low volume late in the night. I think SHL5 could be better in this case, they are more linear at low volume
                      - I don’t want any upgrade for a long period on! SHL5 seems to be a choice for a long time…
                      Hi Tudor,

Of course and i'm sure SHL-5 will sing great at your place too. Good choice there

Comment

Originally posted by kittykat View Post
                        Hi Sebastien

Are you not keen on Brystons, Anthems or Classe's? Id think they may be good value where you are, since they are made closer to you, no?

kittykat
                        I already heard Bryston and Classe. I don't want to go in that direction. I don't know about Anthem. I'll check about them on the net.

Thanks,

Sebastien

Comment

Originally posted by EricW View Post
                          According to the reviews, the Simaudio "Moon" series is very nice gear as well, and even made in Quebec...

Another nice Canadian option is Blue Circle: not widely distributed, but the ones I've heard do sound truly excellent.

I don't doubt the Luxman amps are very very good, but if you have Harbeth speakers, it's probably just slightly sweeter icing on an already delicious cake.
                          I do have a phono preamp from Moon: the LP5.3. It's an amazing one. This winter, I heard the i3.3 100W integrated from Moon with my Audio Physic Virgo III. The sound was quite impressive. This is the amp who makes me think: "Let's give a try to solid state amplifier!"

Unfortunately, beside a lots of his qualities, the Moon have not the realism of tube when it comes to the mid-range. Then, I heard of the solid state amplifier from Luxman who is pretty close of a tube amplifier with the quality of solid state. Plus, I'm really interested in the front meters, the bass and treble tone, the XLR input and the japanese built quality which look impressive. Last but not least, I do prefer the apparence of the Luxman over any Moon.

Sebastien

Comment

Hi Sebastien, I use the Luxman 505U with the SHL5's. I am very happy with the combination. The 505U is a very good all-round amplifier, with more tonal refinement and midrange texture than a lot of solid state and yet with the bass grip and power of the best. If you want even more midrange magic then one of the class A integrateds might be the way to go (550Aii or the 590Aii).

Comment

The Luxman L550Aii also has a very nice sounding built-in phono preamp. It sounds amazing, very 3-dimensional with great width and depth. The downside is that it is fixed gain and wished it came with a selectable gain. Still, it is suitable for most MC type cartridges.
                              I also run a tube setup and the Luxman do sound like a valve amp. There's plenty of detail and like a valve amp - delivers decay and harmonics. Ohhh... the bass...

Comment

I've ordered (can I say this in english?) a Luxman L-505u yesterday at Audio Cubes 2. It looks like I will have important new parts in the next weeks: a pair of Harbeth SHL5 and a Luxman integrated amplifier.

It's always a pleasure to get new pieces of gear. This will allow me and my girlfriend to appreciate the music that we love in a new natural way.

Sebastien

Comment

Working...
                                X