Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

40.1 front - SHL5 rear - which one for center?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40.1 front - SHL5 rear - which one for center?

hi all

I am one step before ordering SHL5 , heard them 2 weeks ago in local distributor in Athens Greece and was more than satisfied.
    Consider them firstly as my main speakers but then going to a 5.1 speaker system, in maximum one year time that is ,

so my questions :

1. are 40.1 very good match with shl5 ? 40.1 as new front speakers and moving shl5 as rear speakers

2. what is the best solution for center channel? will center channel take long to develop? which other single speaker could i use instead? are single speaker sold or only in pairs?
    eg. could I buy just one m30 ?

thanks in advance for your replies

Read Harbeth News

Hi,
    Please read the article in Harbeth News, HARBETH FLAGSHIP USED TO BALANCE UK'S TOP SHOWS

Comment

Placed order for SHL5 today

Earlier today I placed my order for SHL5 in cherry colour ... delivery date end of May...

Later this year research for 40.1 or one more pair of SHL5 will continue in order to come one step closer to a full 5.1 system (5 Harbeth speakers for sure, will see about .1 - subwoofer)

Comment

Subwoofer not needed

You probably won't need a sub woofer with SHL5's and definitely not with M40.1's.

Comment

Subwoofer

wont .1 make a difference in movies?

Comment

What for a centre channel?

Hi,
            maybe we can go back to the entry-question.

I use the 40.1as front speakers and the SHL 5 as rear speakers.
            I found a Spendor center C3 as a good match.
            Does anyone has another suggestion?

Electronics: Linn Kisto, Akurate 2200 with Dynamik, AV 5125, Unidisk 1.1 with Dynamik.

Regards

Ralph

Comment

Use M30 for a centre channel with M40.1 for left/right channels

The best idea would be a single M30, if you can get one. It's the same 'family' as the M40.1 and is what ITV (the UK broadcaster) use for their surround sound setup on the X-Factor TV show, with M40.1 as front left and right speakers. I think they use M20 for rears though.

Comment

Movies and sub energy

Generally, yes, it will. But it depends on the types of movies you watch. For deep, thoughtful indy type films, you may not miss the sub. But if you watch action/adventure/thriller/sci-fi movies, a sub greatly enhances the experience. Modern movies make a lot of use of the LFE.
                Originally posted by vasilisnt View Post
                wont .1 make a difference in movies?

Comment

Why not 5 x P3ESR?

Why not five 3PSRs, and one or two REL subs depending on the size of your room? An alternative would be M30s for left and right, that integrate well with good subs and be used for two channel. The only problem is where do you get the odd P3SR?

Comment

Drdennis, this sounds like a very workable solution. I agree as it would maintain a consistent sonic picture. Even though Harbeth speakers are of the same family and voiced by the same master (Alan) they sound (a little) different from one another.

John

Comment

Working...
                    X