Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Re-finishing my C7 to dark Ebony to match my Naim Audio gears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-finishing my C7 to dark Ebony to match my Naim Audio gears

After being converted to Naim Audio and Harbeth, it tool me 1.5 year to finally finish my project. The C7, I ended up, stripping the original cherry finish and staining it with ebony, but added many coating so it looks like black, in order to match my Naim system.

The stand is aluminum extrusion with 3/4 inch thick wood plate to separate the speaker base to the stand. The final stand now has the adjustable spikes to stablized the speaker.

Refinishing photos?

Care to post some photos? This is the first time I've ever heard of someone refinishing their Harbeths.
    You're a brave man...

Comment

Interesting DIY project

Wow! What an interesting DIY project. Could you explain us more how you do it, where were the challenge and provide some pictures? Maybe some other user might be interested.

Sébastien

Comment

Refinishing

Yes, please post pics if at all possible, as well as some details of the process you followed. I've toyed (not too seriously) with the idea of doing the same to my P3ESRs, but I'm not sure I have the courage!

{Moderator's comment: please consider the Warranty implications and the fact that unless you completely remove the varnish coats and professionally prepare the wood for a new top coat it will look like a DIY job....}

Comment

'Refinishing' factory supplied veneers

i agree with the moderator on this subject. if you must for whatever reason refinish your speaker and are staining please consider a pre stain conditioner. this will give a more even tone . and yes the more stain (coats) the darker the color. good luck.

Comment

Staining cherry to ebony

Hi there, I bought my c7 second hand and there was many surface scratches; in addition, I have converted to Naim Audio, that's why I had the idea to strip off the original 'cherry' finish and gently sand down the veneer surface with very fine sand paper. Then, treated it with surface conditioner, and stain it with ebony finish, many times. I did not remove the factory screws to the cabinet in order to keep the factory cabinet fit, just stain over it, but the terminals at the rear and front speaker parts are taped over. Stand is custom made in a tool room using aluminum extrusion and spikes, separated by a wooden plate to minimize 'ringing', and lastly spray it black. Enjoy your Harbeth.

Comment

Excellent!

Excellent set-up! Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
              X