Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

C7Se3 + Skylan Stand => How to tame the bass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C7Se3 + Skylan Stand => How to tame the bass

Dear all

Running a Naim system pairing a nice pair of C7se3 (on skylan Stand filled as required) i would like to know what can i do to tame the bass (Example in the last Kate Bush the bass are heavy and round...feel that bass as much as it should be)

Tks for your advice

Away from walls

I'd first trying playing with the position of your speakers. If they near any walls, pull them out into the room a little more and see how that sounds. It's possible that, in their current position, your speakers are interacting with your room in such a way that the lower frequencies sound more pronounced.

Comment

Tone controls solve room bass boost

Originally posted by Hififan View Post
      i would like to know what can i do to tame the bass
      If there are no tone controls on the amp, I can't think of any way other than giving the speakers more room around them.

Comment

Correct speaker placement .... and Kate Bush album

Correct placement is vital with any speaker - get that right and you should have no trouble.

You mention the latest Kate Bush album but does the fulsome bass occur on the majority of recordings or on some ?

Comment

Try lightweight stands

Hi , probably not happy combination of equipment, stands, cables/wires, speaker positioning, room size and acoustics :-(

But I suggest, after you've tried replacing the speakers, you try some lightweight rigid wooden benches.
          I do use IKEA Oddvar tabourets myself with C7ES-3's, in Suisse they cost CHF17 a piece.

Cheap enough to give it a go, I would say ;-)

Comment

Before and after response using room correction

Try plugging the port.

And for the long term, see if you can improve the room's acoustics somehow. Or invest in a modern day equalizer. e.g. the upcoming anti-mode 2.0. I run the previous (mono) model with my home theater subwoofer and it's a fantastic tool.

Here's the before and after response of said subwoofer with the antimode with just the press of a button and two minutes of waiting.*

*The picture represents the basic frequency response of my subwoofer (which should be flat in response to a bit below 20hz according to spec) in my room, the calibration level is 80db accross the entire frequency line.
            The purple line represents the before situation, as you can see the subwoofer plays about 5db too strong most of the time with a peak of 10db a bit above 50hz, this is very audibile! Most people would just turn down the overall volume, this works well for the low bass, but the very low bass (-30hz) will be compromised, which kind of makes no sense, as it is a subwoofer.

The blue line represents the response after calibration. As you can see it's now a lot flatter, which brings out the full potential of the subwoofer and makes it much easier to integrate.

Comment

LF adjustement in domestic room

Originally posted by TimVG View Post
              see if you can improve the room's acoustics somehow.
              From what I have read here, it is almost impossible to do this for low frequencies in a domestic environment.

Comment

Consider decay time and frequency response

Originally posted by Kumar Kane View Post
                From what I have read here, it is almost impossible to do this for low frequencies in a domestic environment.
                That is true for frequency response, but not so much for decay time. A short decay time is also important for a good sounding bass in-room.

Comment

Setup and previous bass experiences in my room

Tks All

The distance from back wall is about 65cm. The point is that i have a big element between speaker (Tv video,.....but nothing about audio ;-) ) and the distance from speakers is something like 40cm

As part of the WAF i have some limitation so have to move sloooooowly to avoid any home crisis ;-)

Wall

X (Speakers)

X
                  X X (List. Pos) Info : 1.5 speakers distance.
                  X

X (Speakers)

Wall

I know (based on some other speaker i had before) that my room (at least current position) is not bass friendly and it's not only the last Kate Bush ;-) (Beautiful album by the way). But as the C7s are really nice one i would like to extract the best from them .

Comment

Stand isolators?

Have you anything between the speaker and the stand besides the small rubbers that came with the stand?

Comment

Stands, and realism about room tuning

With all respect for opinions, but things that you put between a speaker and the stand aren't going to do anything for the frequency response in a room, unless it's a really bad stand that resonates at certain frequencies.

I've read another thread here that said something about special rubber feet to put under them with a very heavy kitty litter filled stand so that the speaker puts all of the energy in moving the air instead of itself. No offence, but I do believe that a person like designer A. Shaw who designed the speakers is capable enough of making sure his speakers can do all of that without any special accessories..

As I already suggested, I'm sure this problem is room related, and the solution lies in either treating the room, or adapting the speaker's response to match the room.

It's really that simple.

Comment

My experiments with stand decoupling

Hi there

I have some experiences with decoupling pads between stands and speakers. First of all I was very stubborn to use cheap stands, from ikea from lack table to odvar chairs in order to understand the speaker and design my own stands (on the future days) . And yes, the Harbeths sounds ok on this suports, but if you want to extract maximum from speakers you have to take care at few details...

So after a long and funny experiments, I made a pad composed from three different materials: a plastic from ikea also , a self adhesive cork from Auchan and a piece of corian from Dupont. I use 3 pads for every speaker with one in the front and two in the back. But these pads, are working also on the Sound Anchor stands (better than blue dots, wich come with the stands).

So my conclusion is the pads must have 3 layers with good contacts betwen they. And yes the bass is very clean.

I know, you believe that is not any science in this, but that experiments works for me.
                        Chershttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YOude5aGlJ...micro-pads.jpg

Comment

Q-brick

Originally posted by Don Jr View Post
                          Have you anything between the speaker and the stand besides the small rubbers that came with the stand?
                          Yep, i have the "Q-brick" (which provided with my Skylan)

Comment

Q-Bricks and big sonic difference

Try removing them so the speaker is on the little round rubber feet attached to the top of the stand. I'm not sure about the Q Bricks, but what I was using completely changed the sound in my room. I can't decipher differences in speaker cables, power cords and the like, but the difference when I removed the rubber pucks from under my speakers would be noticeable to anyone's ear.

Comment

What about spikes

What about spike ?
                              Today i'm using the screw with plastic head provided in the same pack as the spike (on the Skylan stand package). Never user the spike.

What can i espect ? Worth trying ?

Comment

Working...
                              X