Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Harbeth HL Compact 7ES-3 specific

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harbeth HL Compact7ES-3 specific

Originally posted by Gan CK View Post
    Wow....mount the C7s on proper stands & i am sure they will sound even better.
    I read somewhere that a Harbeth owner sat his SHL5s on plastic stools and he/she was really happy with the sound...maybe the wooden chairs aren't so bad after all!

Comment

• Re: Harbeth HL Compact7ES-3 specific

Originally posted by timleety View Post
      I read somewhere that a Harbeth owner sat his SHL5s on plastic stools and he/she was really happy with the sound...maybe the wooden chairs aren't so bad after all!
      Yes many moons ago, i had my SHL-5 on plastic stools & they sounded pretty good indeed....only thing was that the stool was not high enough so i had somebody to do a pair of open frame metal stands which opened up the sound of the SHL-5 even further.

Comment

• Re: Acclimatisation to new speakers .... and pretty girls!

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
        Your original thread is here - regardless of the general advice you may have garnered in that thread, my advice was and is something like this [....]
        Alan, in my post to the 'burn-in' thread, my jokey, 'radical' solution for speaker acclimatisation was to play music through them!

Cheers,
        Rabbit

p.s. I really like the lighter cherry (almost blonde) finish of my brand-new C7s; serial # 999R/L(!) Very classic-looking, handsome speakers. FYI, they sounded great right out the box. A final purchase on my hi-fi journey.

p.p.s. I like non-conformist girls.

Comment

• Burning-in using music only ...

Originally posted by Rabbit View Post
          In my post to the 'burn-in' thread, my 'radical' solution for speaker acclimatisation was to play music through them.
          Thanks - that's clear, playing music at a normal level is all you need to do. It distresses us at the factory when we've all worked hard as a team to produce beautiful speakers to hear of the occasional mishap during needless 'burn-in' which became an avoidable burn-out.

And yes, I absolutely agree about selecting the unusual. Inherent, intrinsic quality is rarely on the top surface and like diamonds needs digging out.
          Alan A. Shaw
          Designer, owner
          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

• compact 7es3 stands

Can I use the 7es3 on 24 inch stands ? Is this to high ? I like to listen with the tweeter a bit higher than ear level.

Comment

• Deleted as a bad idea

Comment

• Re: compact 7es3 stands

Originally posted by mikeyaya View Post
                Can I use the 7es3 on 24 inch stands ? Is this to high ? I like to listen with the tweeter a bit higher than ear level.
                I had mine on 24" Targets and the difference when i placed them on 18" Skylans was night and day.Read Toneaudio magazines review.He tried them on 24s and found a big improvement when he used 19s. Plus the speakers looked awful on the 24s,the Skylan 4 post has a base that perfectly matches the compact 7s dimensions and the stands can be custom ordered from Skylan so maybe a 20" would be great for you.Noel Nolan of Skylan has Habeths speakers and he knows what he's doing..Great service and affordable.

Comment

• Re: Harbeth HL Compact 7ES-3 specific

Are any C7 users utilizing tube amplification with their speakers?

Comment

I have used vintage Quad II, EAR 899, Puresound A30 and various Croft including their new hybrid with the 7ES-3. All worked just fine with no problems at all.

Comment

Regarding tubes and Harbeth speakers; I'm a dealer for Manley Labs and Audio Note and both work just fine on the Harbeth line.

John Geisen

Comment

I had a pair of HL-5 loudspeakers.
                        I were very satisfied with them, but then I heard some friends spoke about how good the Living Voice speakers were. Some months ago I sold the HL-5 speakers and bought myself a pair of Living Voice OBX-R2, and after a while a pair of IBX-R2. They were indeed good speakers. But after some time I did miss my Harbeth HL-5.

One week ago I sold my Living Voice speakers and bought myself a pair of Harbeths again. The Norwegian importer did only have the C7ES3 in stock, so I bought a pair of those. You can see a picture of them in my Harbeththread, page 9, here: http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/showthread.php?t=543

I have to say that they are wonderful speakers. I have lived with them now for one week, and I must admit that I love Harbeth speakers!

In September they had a big show in Norway. Harbeth had some of the best sound on the show. They played with the C7ES3, and amps from Audiovalve. Here are two pictures from the show:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Two more pictures from the show:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• KL International AV Show 2009 [Re: Harbeth HL Compact 7ES-3 specific]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNehS...layer_embedded

Comment

I have a pair of P3ES-R sitting atop my computer desk and raised to a height where the tweeters are at my ear level. I am sitting in front of and in between the speakers. The speakers are placed 3 feet apart and toed in pointing to my ears. If I extend my arms and finger tips outward at a 35 degree angle from my body I can touch the speakers - that distance is 34 inches.

That near field placement creates a nice sweet spot for me while I sit at my desk.

QUESTION: I received an offer to trade up my P3ES-R to the C7ES-3. Would the C7ES3 be okay at this placement 34 inches from my ears?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro (PC card)
                              LFD Zero III amp
                              P3ESR
                              Chord/LFD cables, interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by Supersnake View Post
                                QUESTION: I received an offer to trade up my P3ES-R to the C7ES-3. Would the C7ES3 be okay at this placement 34 inches from my ears?
                                Of course, they will work perfectly and the sound stage will be huge, but because the C7ES3 are so much bigger, they will dominate your vision. Have you considered this?
                                Alan A. Shaw
                                Designer, owner
                                Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
                                X