Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Harbeth HL Compact 7ES-3 specific

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harbeth HL Compact 7ES-3 specific

I'm certain they would sound fine but will they leave you any room on your desk to work from ???

Comment

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
      Of course, they will work perfectly and the sound stage will be huge...
      Wonderful, that what I was hoping to read!

P3ESR-2 Frequency Response 75Hz - 20kHz and a 110mm mid/bass
      C7ES3 Frequency Response 46Hz - 20kHz and a 200mm mid/bass

...but because the C7ES3 are so much bigger, they will dominate your vision. Have you considered this?
      Yes, I have considered that they will be significantly larger. However, I can place them in a manner that won't block vision of my PC monitor, which was my chief concern.

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
      I'm certain they would sound fine but will they leave you any room on your desk to work from ???
      Good question. However, my desk will only serve to be used as a music listening and PC surfing station so I am okay with that concern.

QUESTION:
      I can also place the C7ES3 on stands to the right and left of my computer desk and have them 5 feet apart (instead of 3 feet apart) and toed in pointing to my ears with me sitting in between the speakers. The toe in angle will of course be slightly different. Hopefully that too will be okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Supersnake View Post
        QUESTION: I can also place the C7ES3 on stands to the right and left of my computer desk and have them 5 feet apart (instead of 3 feet apart) and toed in pointing to my ears with me sitting in between the speakers. The toe in angle will of course be slightly different. Hopefully that too will be okay?
        Personally I have found that this rule-of-thumb gives me the best overall sound stage depth an width, regardless of speaker model, amplifier, room, stands music or any other factor. This is just my opinion. It may not suit you! What matters is what's right for you.

"I prefer to arrange the speakers so that if they are about 2 units of length apart, then I sit and listen 3 units of length away from them". That's my personal preference.

The units could be feet or metres.
        Alan A. Shaw
        Designer, owner
        Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Thank you Alan for specifying the relative distances of those axes.

QUESTION: Now I need to know what the measured distance is from the base of the C7ES3 speaker to its tweeter.

Thank you.

Comment

Tweeter height from the bottom - it's a good question. I've asked our website guru to add another field to the speaker database so that this useful info can be added to all speaker specifications.
            Alan A. Shaw
            Designer, owner
            Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

• Tweeter position on C7ES3

OK, I've got a number for you. From the bottom of the baffle the middle of the tweeter is 431.5mm. To that you have to add the cabinet wall thickness (bottom panel) at about 9mm in the baffle-lip area. So I calculate that from the bottom outside the tweeter is about 440mm up. Hope that helps.

Remember, your ear does not have to be exactly on tweeter axis. Do not fret about getting this point exactly in line with your ears. During the design process I am concerned to have as wide a vertical and lateral listening window as possible. I do not want or expect Harbeth users to have their head in a vice like Alex in Clockwork Orange.

FYI, CAD drawings are essential to make sure everything fits together properly. You may be able to see that Derek (D.H.) was responsible for this one; he's much faster and better than me at CAD drawing.

>
              Attached Files
              Alan A. Shaw
              Designer, owner
              Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

• Stand heights and ear ...

OK, I've got a number for you. From the bottom of the baffle the middle of the tweeter is 431.5mm. To that you have to add the cabinet wall thickness (bottom panel) at about 9mm in the baffle-lip area. So I calculate that from the bottom outside the tweeter is about 440mm up. Hope that helps.
                Indeed it does help, thank you for your prompt response! It's good fortune for me that the C7ES3 tweeter height is about 17.32 inches (440 mm). My desk has a standardized 29 inch high desktop. Placing the speakers on that desk will raise the tweeter to an approximate height of 46.32 inches (29.0 + 17.32). When I sit in my desk chair my ear height is 45 inches. This means no need for me to purchase speaker stands.

Am also happy to read that you have asked your website guru to include tweeter height for all your speaker specifications. This will help those who are seeking a speaker stand.

Remember, your ear does not have to be exactly on tweeter axis. Do not fret about getting this point exactly in line with your ears. During the design process I am concerned to have as wide a vertical and lateral listening window as possible
                Am glad to learn this and have to confess that I would be one of those who would otherwise fret had I not known this.

I do not want or expect Harbeth users to have their head in a vice like Alex in Clockwork Orange.
                Great example, I recall that image well.

FYI, CAD drawings are essential to make sure everything fits together properly. You may be able to see that Derek (D.H.) was responsible for this one; he's much faster and better than me at CAD drawing.
                And this dear readers is one further example of how we plebeians are made to feel like patricians when we receive service and help from Alan and his associates. Thank you Alan and thank you Derek for your prompt and knowledgeable help!

Alex! Fetch my recording of Beethoven's 9th, it's time to be joyous!

Comment

• HSS-7C [Re: Harbeth HL Compact 7ES-3 specific]

Anyone use the Harbeth HSS-7C stand for C7ES-3? Is it good?

Comment

• Just wanted to share with you that i've ordered a demoex pair of Harbeth Compact 7es3 in Tiger Ebony from my dealer. I am going to use them with my Naim Nait 5i.

I've actually never heard Harbeth, and am very excited to hear the combination. My closest Harbethdealer is almost 400 miles away and it's hard to make the time when you work 6 days a week. But i have read so many good things about the combination that i have high hopes.

My current speakers are Neat Motive 2's, which i also like very much, but in my room they tend to sound a bit thin and harsh when played higher than low volume.
                    PC/AudioPro WF100 - Luxman L550A II - C7ES-3

Comment

• Just swapped my C7ES-2's for ES-3's

I've recently upgraded from C7ES-2's to C7ES-3's and I'm thrilled with the sound of the ES3's....though I loved the sound of the ES-2's before hearing the 3's.
                      The balance is definitely different with the ES3's more clarity and presence with a tighter, punchier bass (that also sounds like it goes a bit deeper, though the specs are the same). The ES-3's sound more truthful and realistic, there's a natural excitement and presence to music. In typical Harbeth fashion, you can listen for hours on end.

Thanks to Andy for his help purchasing the speakers.....and Alan Shaw for designing a great speaker.

Some pics of my new Harbeths:

System Details

Comment

• Hi tobes,
                        Wonderful setup and lovely photos here and in your system details pages. The cart photos are very nice.
                        "Bath with Music"

Comment

• Thanks Keith,

Lighting is everything in photography, the cart photos are best because of the turntable is in front of the large window - and the small object can be front lit effectively with my low watt reading lamp.
                          It's impossible to get a nice looking photo using flash (with my panasonic TZ7 point and shoot camera anyway).

Cheers, Paul
                          System Details

Comment

• Hi Tobes, is your C7 finished in Eucalyptus?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gan CK View Post
                              Hi Tobes, is your C7 finished in Eucalyptus?
                              I am not Paul but I believe it is... very uniform grain right?
                              "Bath with Music"

Comment

• Eucalyptus C7ES3

Originally posted by Gan CK View Post
                                Hi Tobes, is your C7 finished in Eucalyptus?
                                Yes, the finish is Eucalyptus. BTW, that photo above is in the strong light from the nearby window + overhead light and doesn't do the finish justice IMO.

Veneers vary with the batches I believe, for comparison here are some photos of my ES2's eucalyptus finish, overall the ES3 finish is a bit more interesting, though it's hard to tell from the photo above. Note how different the ES2 veneer looks with the two different lighting conditions below (top photo lit with halogen light overhead + natural light, bottom photo is natural light only):

System Details

Comment

Working...
                                X