Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Harbeth HL Compact 7ES-3 specific

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HL Compact7ES-3 LF ...

Hi Alan ,
    can you elaborate on the changes at low frequencies ? Are they primarily a result of the port alteration or did the new surround provide low frequency improvements ( which in turn required or allowed a change in the porting ) ?

Alastair

Comment

Re: Harbeth HL Compact7ES-3 specific

Originally posted by airdavid
      Nice Picture, Curio !!!ciao, david
      Thanks David & Celadus
      Nice pic sure .. cos I use my loved Fuji S6500FD :-) .. but what can I say about those horrible light yellow cables sleeping on that nice parquet!? Zero W.A.F :-( but they are so good for the C7ES!

Best wishes to Every One

Curio

Comment

Hello,

if anyone know in which finishes are avaiable this new 7ES-3 model:

cherry, eucalyptus, .... ?

Regs,
        Sasa

Comment

Yes: cherry, eucalyptus and to special order Tiger Ebony and Rosenut. That reminds me: I'll be making a thread here about the inevitable variations in colour and features in what is, after all, a completely natural material.
          Alan A. Shaw
          Designer, owner
          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Originally posted by A.S.
            Yes: cherry, eucalyptus and to special order Tiger Ebony and Rosenut. That reminds me: I'll be making a thread here about the inevitable variations in colour and features in what is, after all, a completely natural material.

Thanks Alan,

I've meet today in Ljubljana with Mr. Peter Mezek from Pear Audio to confirm my order for 7ES-3, only what was missing is finish choice.

Well I will wait for your thread to see what is available, but I'm pretty sure that I will take eucalyptus.

BR,
            Sasa

Comment

Sasa: Peter is an excellent man who thoroughly understands us at a philosophical and practical level and is highly respected in the industry. I'm sure that you will have a great time together.

Eucalyptus is definitely a special case. Unlike cherry, which is sourced and applied by our cabinet maker, Harbeth directly select, buy and pay for eucalyptus veneer and arrange it's importation and then issue to the cabinet maker. It gives us just that bit more control.

We had a call from the Eucalyptus Marketing Board (of Australia?) a few months ago who asked 'is it really true that you are using our wood for your speaker cabinets?'. Seems it's a one-off!
              Alan A. Shaw
              Designer, owner
              Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Hi Alan,

is it possible to order the Teak veneer in Italy? It's my favourite. I'd like a darker color than Cherry or Eucalyptus.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Celadus
                  Hi Alan,

is it possible to order the Teak veneer in Italy?
                  By the moment .. Celadus .. the Hi-Fi United our Italian dealer for Harbeth products doesn't know the existence of this new Alan baby
                  I called them last week e quasi manco ricordavano cosa erano le Harbeth
                  So it would be interesting to know where we can buy this new C7ES3

Curio

Comment

Ciao Curio,

I've called Hi-Fi United and tomorrow they will tell me if they have the new model (ho degli agganci se ti interessano posso averle a prezzo scontato).
                    However I think they can't have the Teak version if Alan has not shipped it yet.

Curio, do you like the Teak veneer?

Alan, can you build a couple of C7ES3 in Teak and ship it to Hi-Fi United?

Thanks

Lorenzo

Comment

Regarding teak: this is a discontinued veneer. It was being taken by Harbeth Japan but they have now switched to cherry.

If we have a pair of teak C7ES2 cabinets in stock we could convert to C7ES3 but this would take time, hence cost more, and the upper two binding post holes would be blanked off (C7ES2 is biwire, C7ES3 is not).

You need to dicuss the whole cost situation with HiFi United first please.
                      Alan A. Shaw
                      Designer, owner
                      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Thank you Alan!
                        Celadus .. I like dark wood and I guess Teak is yellow
                        Best wood I had on loudspeakers was the Boobinga Root on my B&W Silver Signature .. lovable in my living room!
                        Also Bird Eye Maple is another loveble speakers wood

Curio

Comment

No problem. Teak is an orangy-yellow. Cherry is more of an orange-pink.

If you want really dark-dark then I suggest Tiger Ebony - like dark chocolate with interesting stripes but *very expensive* and to special order only.
                          Alan A. Shaw
                          Designer, owner
                          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Originally posted by A.S.
                            Tiger Ebony - like dark chocolate with interesting stripes but *very expensive* and to special order only.
                            Uhmmm ... sounds "eccitante" (exciting other than stimulating) but Alan could you specify ??? for those two words "very expencive"?

:-))

Thanks Alan!

ps: the pic show you because I prefer dark wood instead the normal cherry or the terry ble teak .. and this preference is due to the parquet color

Comment

Ciao Alan,

if "Tiger Ebony" is darker than Teak then it should fit my taste, can you post a pic of the veneer and tell us how much more expensive it is?
                              Thanks

Lorenzo

Comment

Happy New Year 2007 from Italy .. to Alan and the whole Harbeth Group!

Curio

Comment

Working...
                                X