Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Rosewood C7ES3s ENROUTE !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosewood C7ES3s ENROUTE !

Just pulled trigger on 1st ever Harbeths. Some here hoping for a sale in US due to Brexit? Very excited for arrival Friday. My employer is also Headquartered in London - hoping for no do-more-with-less pinch. Enjoy all.

1st impressions

[QUOTE=Revo13;40525]Just pulled trigger on 1st ever Harbeths.

New compacts sounding great streaming TIDAL. found these magnetic pullers at local hardware store. Needed both to remove grille. These make previously fatiguing recordings enjoyable somehow . Bass is plenty.
    Attached Files

Comment

My C7s

I'm still loving my C7's. What is the rest of your setup?

Comment

Ata sensible level

Lumin D1 for streaming TIDAL, Oppo 103 , PrimaLuna Prologue Premium integrated, PS Audio P3 Powerplant. Love how high volume is unnecessary with Harbeths .
        Attached Files

Comment

Doesn't the use of an inaccurate amplifier defeat the choice of an accurate speaker?

Originally posted by Revo13 View Post
          Lumin D1 for streaming TIDAL, Oppo 103 , PrimaLuna Prologue Premium integrated, PS Audio P3 Powerplant.
          Perhaps you would be kind enough to answer a question to which no one else seems willing to reply?

Why choose a speaker designed with a flat/neutral frequency response and then use it with an amplifier whose frequency response, when connected to a speaker, looks like the black line in the following graph?

http://www.stereophile.com/content/p...r-measurements

Comment

Do it!

Maybe because he likes it ?

It's a free world and he can buy whatever he likes.

This is the sort of thing Alan was talking about on another thread. The OP has just bought a pair of Harbeth speakers and is proud and excited about his new system and gets jumped on with negativity. It's very off putting and he probably thinks it's not worth posting here again.

Comment

How was the amp chosen?

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post

Of course he can buy what he likes. The point is did he realise that his newly chosen hifi is not as hifi as it should be, assuming he was seeking high fidelity. I would be really interested to hear why that amp was chosen.

What if anything other than listening to it influenced the decision?

Comment

Conscious choice

It's very off putting and he probably thinks it's not worth posting here again.
                Sincerely I don't think IMF+TDL is addressing the OP in a particularly unpolite or just unfriendly manner, just letting him know what he maybe didn't know... or knew and didn't care, or just like it this way. The one is free to ask, the other is free to answer.

If someone wants to grate cheese over a dish of pasta ch'i sardi, I feel free (actual a moral duty in this very case! ) to let him notice that this is not the way is normally intended to be seasoned and advice him to use toasted breadcumb instead. Then he can both try my advice or just answer that he knows and still like it this way, I'm perfectly fine with it: at least he made a conscious choice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasta_con_le_sarde

Comment

Live and let live?

yeah..tubes are rubbish , read my list ! here we go again pfff. still trying to understand what the reason is to critizise someone's choice for an amplifier unasked.

Comment

Redesigning the designer's intended speaker performance

This is the sort of thing Alan was talking about on another thread. The OP has just bought a pair of Harbeth speakers and is proud and excited about his new system and gets jumped on with negativity. It's very off putting and he probably thinks it's not worth posting here again.
                    Again, it's well and truly understood that this is a free world and one can buy whatever one so chooses. Likewise, no one is being "jumped on" and the post isn't intended to carry any negative connotation. It's meant to elicit a factual response to a legitimate question.

How would you (re)phrase the inquiry?

A.S. has described the great pains he takes to ensure that the frequency response of his designs is as flat/neutral as possible. Despite those efforts, a certain subset of the Harbeth customer base has evidently chosen a type of amplifier which, when connected to a speaker, exhibits significant deviations from a flat/neutral frequency response.

Why is this and on what basis was that choice made?

Comment

Warm tubes a'glow

I quite agree with hifi-dave. While many of us here probably prefer the neutrality of solid state, classic tube design (as John Atkinson describes this amplifier) has long had advocates and probably will continue to do so.

Comment

Pragmatism

Actually I was in a bind . The solid state CJ power amp I had died. Had enough trouble with CJ reliability . My local dealer had the demo PL with B&Ws playing. I jumped on it and never looked back. Interesting review, wonder how the other tube options would measure ?

Comment

Tube sound

Originally posted by Ned Mast View Post
                          I quite agree with hifi-dave. While many of us here probably prefer the neutrality of solid state, classic tube design (as John Atkinson describes this amplifier) has long had advocates and probably will continue to do so.
                          Some low powered solid state amplifiers seem to have a rather thin sound to them and my big bugbear with the two big class A/B amps I've owned is the need to warm up, before which they sound dull as ditchwater.

I'm listening to my SHL5+ with 260w Quad monoblocks at relatively low volume, it is 5am, the music on vinyl is Gillian Welch and Emmylou Harris etc on the recent album of Johnny Cash covers ("Look again to the wind"). There really are no problems using solid state amplifiers with plenty of power to get a beautiful sweet vocal sound with plenty of depth to it, at little above conversational volume.

Due to the noise that is almost unavoidable from 20x step up phono transformers, I had my phono amplifier calibrated to a fairly low output, just about sufficient, but with virtually no background noise on good clean recordings. Volume control is via 1 - 64 stepped attenuators. Digital at this listening level would be around 25, for phono it is set at 44.

I have recently been the valve route, with amplifiers that measure much better than the Prima Luna. I have heard the Prima Luna. It is well made, in China, the Dutch owners have their own engineers overseeing production to ensure quality is maintained. They are switchable from triode to pentode mode and can be run on valves ranging from el34 to KT120, without modification. So you can choose on the overall sound, taking account of speakers and room size.

If you want sweet midrange focus, then el34 is the one for you, KT120 for a bigger sound. Personally, I consider that a compromise as I have wide listening tastes. That said, there is a lot of sense to the design and the manufacturing/cost structure, even though with KT120's they are 30% more expensive than Quad QMPs (at UK retail prices).

Comment

Forums

Originally posted by martin1305 View Post
                            yeah..tubes are rubbish , read my list ! here we go again pfff. still trying to understand what the reason is to critizise someone's choice for an amplifier unasked.
                            Not completely unasked: a forum is not a place to put likes on photos and comfort egos. It's an enriching process to be confronted with other's experience and knowledge, even if only to keep one's own position, don't you think?

Comment

Harbeth is so revealing

I guess it is testimony to the virtues of Harbeth speakers that these remain audible even under adverse conditions such as with tubes or vinyl.

It is also an undisputable fact, however, that they could sound much more accurate with the right gear. How do we break that news nicely?

Comment

Working...
                              X