Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

new Compact 7 in the near future?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Compact 7 in the near future?

Dear All,

as I'd like to buy a pair of new C7-es3, I'd like to know if a new edition of this model is planned in the near future.

thank you,
    kind regards,
    David

{Moderator's comment: I have looked at the company plan for the first half of 2017, Harbeth's 40th anniversary, and there is no mention of any changes to the C7ES3.}

Future proof!

Whatever happens in the future, may I note that no Harbeth model is immediately out-dated by a new version. You could go back to the original Compact and it won't sound in the slightest bit terrible in comparison I think. Heck, I still love the HL III, which took the previous generations and got it more consistent and the original P3 always sounded lots better than the equivalent LS3/5A.

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by Airdavid View Post
      Dear All,

as I'd like to buy a pair of new C7-es3, I'd like to know if a new edition of this model is planned in the near future.

thank you,
      kind regards,
      David

{Moderator's comment: I have looked at the company plan for the first half of 2017, Harbeth's 40th anniversary, and there is no mention of any changes to the C7ES3.}
      Thank you, Moderator!

Comment

Having had a great demo of the C7es3 vs the SHL5+ the other day, I sincerely hope that the C7 is NOT updated any time soon to a newer more 'open', 'modern sounding' version, as it is exactly it's sweet, smooth, forgiving and very very natural, above all musical presentation which means I'll be ordering the C7 over it's bigger brother. It simply had a magic, and drew me into the music more while the SHL5+, while great, simply wasn't as enjoyable or captivating emotionally, to me. I understand others may feel differently. I've owned very technically advanced, and very expensive, speakers which don't possess this magic involvement factor. They are a little gem and long may they continue, IMO!

I had the great fortune, a couple of hours after the demo, of being present at the last night of La Traviata at the Royal Opera House. It was a special evening, one of those performances where there's an extra degree of magic from the performers, where one feels genuinely a part of the drama unfolding on stage, and many goosebump moments as Verdi's score swells achingly at the huge emotional turning points. Yes, of course, Traviata is always beautiful, but this was above and beyond. Well that was the same kind of magic the C7 managed to somehow convey - it was remarkably close to the essence of this kind of experience.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesW View Post
          Having had a great demo of the C7es3 vs the SHL5+ the other day, I sincerely hope that the C7 is NOT updated any time soon to a newer more 'open', 'modern sounding' version, as it is exactly it's sweet, smooth, forgiving and very very natural, above all musical presentation which means I'll be ordering the C7 over it's bigger brother. It simply had a magic, and drew me into the music more while the SHL5+, while great, simply wasn't as enjoyable or captivating emotionally, to me.
          If it makes any difference to you, the US distributor for Harbeth has indicated that a special anniversary edition of the C7 is expected later this year:
          http://www.fidelisav.com/harbeth-spe...rsary-edition/

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up!

That would be an interesting demo, to listen to the two side by side. WBT Nextgen binding posts would be nice. I've experienced changing interconnect RCA plugs to Nextgen and they do seem to open out the sound a little. Whether the same would be true in a higher current speaker application, I don't know. I suspect the difference with those and the caps would be appreciable but subtle. However, at this level, sometimes subtle nuances can make all the difference.

I think if they're released by the time I'm ready to purchase, I'll give them a listen, if not I won't worry to wait for them as the standard C7s sound wonderful already.

Comment

Any anniversary model would be more about pride of ownership rather than about changes to the sound reproduction, if any sonic difference at all.

JamesW gets the essence of the quality of the wonderful C7ES3 right, in my opinion. I own two pairs: one set for our cabin, and one set doing service as front speakers in an otherwise modest home theater system (no center, just phanthom).

Comment

Anyone know if an anniversary model of the C7 is coming? Doesn't seem to be appearing yet and we're approaching autumn...!

Comment

Hi everyone
                  I just wanted to step in and clarify that there will not be a C7 anniversary model this year. There will be further details of our plans in the Autumn.
                  Emma Smith
                  Brand Manager
                  Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
                  X