Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Compact C7 in a 10ft x 11 ft room?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compact C7 in a 10ft x 11 ft room?

Ready to pull the trigger on the c7s - haven't had a chance to actually audition them...
    will they work well in a 10ft x 11ft room?
    currently running the totem forest signatures powered by a naim 272/250.

That's quite a small room. Will the retailer allow a home loan to confirm performance ?

Comment

My heavily damped study/listening room is the same size as yours (with a ceiling height of 6', to boot), and I would not want to go back to the monitors I had before the C7s. I listen to mainly acoustic music in the near-field (an unintentionally isometric triangle of approximately 6'), and I love the extra scale and visceral impact the speakers provide.

Comment

I have the 7 in the same size room though the wall is open to the left of the left speaker (the wall is half open) so far from ideal, no doubt this changes the performance compared to what would be experienced in a closed room.

They work fine even about 8 inches from the wall, they may work better further in. I notice no specific issues, especially from excessive bass, there is nothing I would call 'bass boom/bloom'. I use them for both music and movies in a 2 channel system. I would certainly recommend an audition if you can, I was lucky enough to have a home audition, physically they are quite large but in practice they don't take up any more room than a smaller pair on stands or a pair of floor standers like your totems.

Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

Before I bought the SHL5+ I used Totem Forest (non-signature) in my 35 sqm living room. It's much bigger room than yours and both these speakers worked fine in that space, however having lived with the Totems for many years, I know they have rather exaggerated bass response and therefore need quite a lot of space not to sound bass heavy or boomy. If you have been using them happily in your room nonetheless, with no doubt C7s will be much more suitable for that space.

Comment

Have them running since yesterday in my large living room powered by Naim NDS/552/300. First impressions - nervous - was natural, non-fatiguing synonymous with boring? A few songs in (about 20 minutes) the speakers became faster sounding.

looks like these are not built to impress from
            the first notes, but like all the other worthwhile things in life will grow in you - and then you will be hooked...

I'm looking forward to get to know these speakers. I'm coming from the Kudos Super 20s.

Comment

So you're coming from kudos or the totems? The latter are certainly made to impress mates, but not so much the host. Being a host I was usually tired after an hour or two listening to the totems but my friends loved them. Well, they rarely had a chance to listen loud for long. And the totems only sounded good when being played loud (their another trademark). On the contrary, I can play Harbeths all day and I'm never tired or feel the need to turn down. They also sound great with all detail present in the music when played low.

I bought my first pair of Harbeths (P3ESR) for my studio when I still had the totems in the living room but after a year or two I noticed that I rarely even go downstairs to the living room to listen to the music and I tend to only listen in the studio. Only then I got my second pair of Harbeths and now I'm listening in the living room a lot

As for the Kudos Super 20, I've never heard natural bass response from a speaker with bass reflex port situated on the bottom of the cabinet, but maybe the Kudos are different. Ones I heard sounded boomy.

Comment

i have had my C7s for 3 years now in a room much the same size as yours - i am able to keep them away from the walls on homemade stands they sit around 800mm apart and i sit around 1600mm from
                them - i do shake it up now and then but always seem to return to this position - it takes time to appreciate just how good these speakers are - enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by MngoMnky View Post
                  Have them running since yesterday in my large living room powered by Naim NDS/552/300. First impressions - nervous - was natural, non-fatiguing synonymous with boring? A few songs in (about 20 minutes) the speakers became faster sounding.

looks like these are not built to impress from
                  the first notes, but like all the other worthwhile things in life will grow in you - and then you will be hooked...

I'm looking forward to get to know these speakers. I'm coming from the Kudos Super 20s.

I also found the C7 to sound surprisingly unassuming and 'dark' upon listening compared to my other loudspeakers, they wont blow your socks off but once you have played several CDs or watched a few films in succession without analyzing the music or sound and not having your ears sizzled it becomes clear why they have their fans. You are definitely making the right move by auditioning them, I'd suggest getting used to a favourite track through them over the week, then switch back to you current speakers and see how it compares. An analogy is comparing the most natural picture achievable on a TV set vs one that is enhanced to appear like 'super nature', it dazzles briefly but it is not realistic and becomes fatiguing after a time.

Edit: Your kudos super 20 are luxurious loudspeaker, is there any particular reason why you were looking to change? The C7 is quite a bit less expensive by comparison, maybe the M30 is another option.
                  Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

I've got two systems - the living room is super bright sounding - lots of glass, hard furnishings etc. Other speakers end up sounding too bright - so hoping these will work in the living room. Will move the super 20s in the study.
                    although - it's quite possible that it's not possible to go between the two very different sounds - so I might end up getting the shl+ for the living room too and move the c7 into the study..

Comment

I've got two systems - the living room is super bright sounding - lots of glass, hard furnishings etc. Other speakers end up sounding too bright - so hoping these will work in the living room. Will move the super 20s in the study.
                      although - it's quite possible that it's not possible to go between the two very different sounds - so I might end up getting the shl+ for the living room too and move the c7 into the study..
                      I have become more seemingly sensitive to bright/and or distorted sounds as my ears age and deteriorate and the C7 are a needed antidote, I find on average I can enjoy my cd's far more than with my prior set up when pretty much all discs sounded relentless. Then again a very bright disc will still be bright, its not like the 7 dulls everything, definitely not, I was listening to Bjork's 'one day' and it has very sizzly high hats through the track, they aren't over loud but very high pitched and even on the 7 they were almost giving me ringing sensation in the ears.
                      Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

I've had the speakers about 10 days now and absolutely love them. Listening to any other speaker is an ear wrenching experience. Using the 3.5K C7s at the end of 50K worth of naim electronics - and see no reason to change anything.

HiFi journey to an end. Need to sell of three other pairs of speakers move the c7 to the study (where these were bought for).

SHL+ special editions ordered already. ;-)

Comment

I've had the speakers about 10 days now and absolutely love them. Listening to any other speaker is an ear wrenching experience. Using the 3.5K C7s at the end of 50K worth of naim electronics - and see no reason to change anything.

HiFi journey to an end. Need to sell of three other pairs of speakers move the c7 to the study (where these were bought for).

SHL+ special editions ordered already. ;-)
                          With the 7 I never find myself aggravated by the sound so have no impulse to change anything, budget aside I'm not even curious about the super 5 or the 30.1, I bought the model I could afford (the most I felt comfortable with spending on a pair of loudspeakers) and those I will keep. By comparison I'm running the 7's with $550 total electronics, and things still sound good, you should be set
                          Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

Working...
                          X