Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Stand recommendation for C7s please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand recommendation for C7s please

With a footprint of 272x305 are the C7s somewhat difficult to match to stands? I have been unable to find a good size match, even before considering style, performance & price.Not looking to spend too much, just some decent quality stands that make the C7s sing.

Originally posted by broadsword View Post
    With a footprint of 272x305 are the C7s somewhat difficult to match to stands? I have been unable to find a good size match, even before considering style, performance & price.Not looking to spend too much, just some decent quality stands that make the C7s sing.
    Well Harbeth themselves used the very popular Hi-Fi Racks stands at the Bristol 2016 and 2017 shows. Hi-Fi Racks have a dedicated area on their website for all Harbeth models so the footprint will be a perfect match. They will also make the stand to the precise height required by you to get the tweeter to ear level when in your favourite seated position - THE most important point when choosing a stand, followed by stability. I have no affiliation with this brand as I use the other also popular (in the UK) Something Solid XF stands.

Comment

Hi broadsword. I had the same problem way back when I got my C7-s. Nothing I could source from UK was big enough so I did a little mod job. I got the biggest Atacama stand available (SL500I) and overlaid it with a ceramic tile. I was lucky to find a type of tile that matched the speakerís width to the millimetre, with only the depth axis being marginally longer than C7ís. If youíre in the UK Homebase is where youíll find a large selection of tiles. The rest was easy. Youíll need a special drill bit for tiles and some nuts and bolts. I taped the tile flanks all the way round to make them blend with the black of the stands. If you go for Atacama I advise using them with spikes and shoes and no blue tack anywhere as it muddles the bass. Originally I had a little rubber dome (think cupboard doors) in each tile corner for the speakers to sit on. But as I kept upgrading my system I found the bass becoming increasingly prominent had to reduce the speaker/stand contact area somehow. Hence the chrome ball contraption you see in the pictures. You might be happy with the buffers, they are more secure anyway and donít have the silly appearance of steel balls.

The Atacama stand columns are hollow and will need to be filled with something (I used cat litter, others use rice or lead shot). Good luck and if you have any questions about all this, just ask.

Comment

Hmm, assuming you mean these, http://www.hifiracks.co.uk/products/...imilar-Monitor, I don't think £600 is a reasonable outlay, no matter how good they may be. I may just make some hardwood stands myself.

Comment

Hmm, assuming you mean these, http://www.hifiracks.co.uk/products/...imilar-Monitor, I don't think £600 is a reasonable outlay, no matter how good they may be. I may just make some hardwood stands myself.
          Well yes, if you look at the other recent thread 'What Do You Look For When Buying Speaker Stands?' both myself and Hi_Fi Dave pointed out that what were once very good value stands have recently increased in price considerably, in part it would seem because of the popularity of Harbeth speakers! Hence why I use the equally effective (height & stability) Something Solid XF stands which I believe still cost around the £250 mark and are made to the exact footprint for each speaker.

You can, of course, use some Ikea stools as some of our HUG members do, but I personally would not entertain that if only for the reason that Harbeth speakers are so beautifully made and not exactly cheap in themselves, so why put something cheap looking under them, particularly if they are going to be used in a main domestic setting. I do agree, there has to be a sensible balance here for what is just a support for the speaker. Making your own stands, for me, would be the very best and satisfying solution, but unfortunately I have zero carpentry skills to make them look half decent

Comment

I have used Something Solid stands for around 30 years and can thoroughly recommend their XF range for Harbeth speakers. Of course, they are made exactly at a width and depth to fit the model you use and at any height you require. They are approx half the price of the wooden stands.

Comment

My Atacama mod job for C7 photo somehow didn't make it into my original post so here we go...

Not that I'm proud of it, far from it. But it solved the top plate problem for me and turned the very affordable Atacama stand into a quite adequate and sonically satisfactory product that I'm still using. BTW, I tend to agree with Mike and HiFi Dave about Something Solid. I haven't actually tried those stands but I would have got them at the time if it weren't for their somewhat imposing footprint. I could almost see myself with broken toes as my floor space round the speakers is rather cramped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1643.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	72882Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1645.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	72883
              Attached Files

Comment

picked a used set of sound anchor 4 post stands from gene Rubin Audio

Name:	Harbeth 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	74592

Name:	Harbeth one.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	463.3 KB
ID:	74593

Comment

Working...