Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Which smaller Harbeth for recording studio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which smaller Harbeth for recording studio

Hi.
    I am considering replacing my Genelec 8040a monitor speakers for a pair of Harbeths. These will be used as near field monitors in my fairly small roomed recording studio. Which model, (The best suited seem to be the M20 and P3ESR) suits the recording studio environment best. My reason for changing would be to achieve a less fatiguing sound especially during mixing. I play and record acoustic music professionally and need an accurate monitor with broad frequency range.
    Thanks for any advice..

Re: Which smaller Harbeth for recording studio

P3ESR is your answer. Perhaps a black ash pair?
    Harbeth PR,
    Harbeth UK

Comment

I think the P3ESR would be an awesome studio minimonitor that should suit your needs well. But unlike the Genelec, they're not active so be aware that you'll need a good quality integrated or power amp to drive them. It doesn't have to be super-expensive, but you'll need something. You'll need decent speaker cables as well.

Comment

P3ESR is the one. Masses of natural information, totally without fatigue.

Comment

Thanks for the responses,
          it sounds like the P3ESR is the one that you recommend. I shall go and audition a pair. As for amps, i was thinking of one of my Quads, either the 303 or 405-2...

Comment

Much prefer the 405 Mk1 or Mk2.
            Harbeth PR,
            Harbeth UK

Comment

So is there no difference in balance etc between the monitor and domestic versions (other than the finish and handles on the bigger models)?

Comment

Correct: no difference in balance.

I amazed myself today. I have not listened to hi-fi at all since I completed the design of the P3ESR back in the spring. I am fully committed to long overdue commercial activities in Harbeth that have been on hold - such as digitising my engineering archive. Today, we made a serious listening test on a digital black box which you will hear more about next year. I had two pairs of speakers to hand - a pair of M40.1 and a pair of P3ESR. The supplier could not believe how similar they measured after an in-room response check (except in the bass of course, proportionate to their different sizes) and was amazed how similar in tone these very differently sized speakers sounded.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I could have switched between them and invited the listener back into the room blindfolded and he wouldn't be immediately able to say which ones he was listening to. As I didn't do those sort of comparisons during the P3ESR design process it was fascinating for me to see how consistent I am!
                Alan A. Shaw
                Designer, owner
                Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Ok, I am beginning to get a sense of things now. The domestic versions of the monitor speakers are identical to the professional ones except for finish, which makes them cheaper...the Monitor 20 is the same as the old P3ES 2, and the HL5, Compact 7 and New P3ESR do not have a professional version available.

So unless the P3ESR becomes available in professional guise, for a small near-field monitor, i have to decide between that and the professional Monitor 20, to decide whether there is enough difference between them for the significant extra cost of the domestic P3ESR.

Comment

Um, I see your situation.

The price etc. of the P3ESR is fixed as we have to make this bass unit in-house which has increased costs somewhat. Sound to me like what you need is a nearfield with a badge on it marked "Monitor 20.1" in a nice black ash.
                    Alan A. Shaw
                    Designer, owner
                    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Good idea, when can i expect delivery?

Comment

When you order them we can give you a date ..... if you are within striking distance of one of our dealers then they'd be delighted to nego with us over this. We're talking with outside broadcast truck users over just this idea now.
                        Alan A. Shaw
                        Designer, owner
                        Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Alan i'm sorry, thought you were joking.
                          I dont see an M20.1 on the website. Is this going to be a revised M20 then, but not with the Bass Unit of the P3ESR?

Comment

No joking here. Not over product development.

Er ..... following your previous comments that the 'pro versions are basically re-boxed domestic versions' then it follows that the "M20.1" would of course be built from the 5" RADIAL? unit etc. of the P3ESR. We had plans for this next year, but I guess we could bring those forward as we are receiving serious interest from OB users now. Those guys need great bass and imaging, a natural sound but in the smallest possible size; the P3ESR fits the bill perfectly. Price is not an issue for them - performance is.

Incidentally, I heard a rumour today that the P3ESRs are being used (probably as we speak) as the nearfields to make the Cheryl Cole Christmas special.
                            Alan A. Shaw
                            Designer, owner
                            Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Well thats interesting to me as i am recording and mixing many hours a week. Will those speakers then become the professional version of the P3esr, same speaker different finish. BY the way, what do you mean by OB users?

Comment

Working...
                              X