Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Stands for M30.1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stands for M30.1?

I am really enjoying my new M30.1's and now need to consider new stands and hoping to find out what stands other users are having good results with. I am currently using my 24" Target stands which are heavy fillable 43 post stands similar to the Sykans, except that they are metal and the Skylans are MDF which is preferable I think. I would likely be very happy with Skylans but wondering about a few things:

- what about the stands that have an "open" top VS a "platform" top, like some of the models made my Resonant Woods? In particular I really like the looks of the curved stands they make. I think they are a good bit more expensive than the Skylans but look more interesting. I think I read something about the "platform" top stands providing a bit more bass definition...? If this is true I would likely not go for an open top stand.

- initially I was thinking that 24" was a bit too high for the M30.1, especially since that is what I used for my much smaller Totem speakers. But two conversations with two different stands builders have led me to believe that I need to use 24" stands.
    - while the Target stands are good stands and I could maybe keep them, it bothers me that the speakers are so much wider than the top base....it looks unstable. Also they are metal I would prefer some other material.

I would appreciate hearing the experiences of others before I spend more money. Thank you in advance!

Ideally, listen on axis

I always supply the Something Solid XF stands with Harbeth speakers. These are a rigid, open frame and over 30 years I have found these give the best results.

They are custom made at a height to suit you. The ideal height will place the tweeter at your seated ear height.

Comment

Ideally, listen on axis - 2

Stands make no identifiable sonic difference if they are of the right height. Get the tweeter at your ear's height (not half an inch more or less), and you are done. Everything else is either audio snake oil, or esthetics and practicality (are they stable enough?).

Comment

Stands

Thank you both for your replies. For now I will keep my current stands. I measured today and they do place the tweeters at ear level.

Comment

My DIY stand designs

After receiving my beautiful tiger ebony M30.1's, I decided to make my own stands with assistance of a local carpenter. I sent some sketches of the design and the carpenter replied with a CAD model of the stands. What you have is something unique made of beautiful solid tropical hardwood, pride of ownership, height made specific for you to bring tweeters to ear level and amazingly - cost. Materials, varnishing, assembly and delivery - 130.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2240.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	63482

Name:	DSCF2246.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	63483

Name:	DSCF2241.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	63484

Comment

Wonderful wood

Those look fantastic! I am still using my steel stands, they are the correct height but would prefer wood or mdf.

Comment

Hand-made stands

If you are looking for wooden stands you could check out the german artisan Tontrager . Beautifully handmade stands. AS also liked them during the hifi show in Munich 2015.

Comment

Diffusers?

Beautiful stands, but I could not help notice the sound diffusers you have in your room, can I ask where you got those, and do they make a big difference ?

Would love a picture of your room if possible ;-)

Comment

Hand made USA stands

For those of us in the USA who aren't brilliant about making stands, and the German ones are a bit too dear, I might recommend the ones from Resonant Woods in New Hampshire. They are very nice, and work well.

Comment

Sensible offerings

Originally posted by gryphon View Post
                    Beautiful stands, but I could not help notice the sound diffusers you have in your room, can I ask where you got those, and do they make a big difference ?

Would love a picture of your room if possible ;-)
                    Try these people - they have all sorts of products and at sensible prices. Have spoken to them before and they give good technical advice.

gikacoustics.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tmokbel View Post
                      My DIY stand ..... What you have is something unique made of beautiful solid tropical hardwood, pride of ownership, height made specific for you to bring tweeters to ear level and amazingly - cost. Materials, varnishing, assembly and delivery - 130.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3914[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]3915[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]3916[/ATTACH]
                      Could you DM me the carpenter details as I would order the same if that was possible ... thing of beauty

Comment

Originally posted by RichJC View Post

Could you DM me the carpenter details as I would order the same if that was possible ... thing of beauty
                        Hello RichJC

Unfortunately, the carpenter in Kuala Lumpur recently sold his bespoke furniture and carpentry business, packed up and moved to Vietnam with the misses. No more carpenter

Comment

Aaah sad day

Comment

Working...
                          X