Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

My happy accident - the search is over

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My happy accident - the search is over

Hello!

I just put a order down for pair Harbeth 30.1 I thought i would share how that came about. I come from a audio engineer background (Retired now). Listening to music at home in past for me has been active studio monitors through a AD/DA converter. With was nice because i could hook up anything and just control the volume from my computer.

Working with sound was very easy for me, i understood how things worked and i love to read about how things were done in the past before digital. Its a wonderful job, that sadly is going away. The high point was visiting Abbey road a few years back.

During my time doing this a heard a lot of speakers. And most of all meet a lot of people. Speakers in a studio has one job, tell you whats going on. I grew to love that aspect of a good speaker so thats what my search has been about when i entered the very confusing world of hifi. I spent a lot of time listening to different speakers for my apartment. Price range was about 600 something pounds to over seven digit ones.

Of course speakers for around the million mark was out of the question. But i wanted to hear what 10 years of income would sound like. I saw small and i saw very very big. One woofer or 12 woofers. Somethings i learned from working in audio, The tweeter should be at ear level. I remember listening to pair (just for fun) that was about 2 meters high. Sitting down infront i had 1 and half meter of speaker over my head. And the tweeter right on top. That was very confusing to me. I never understood that.

Fast tracking a few months talking to people and going to possible every store in my entire region, I gave up. I have learned that different people like different things, some things you can measure and put on paper. Then you have proof of something and you can refer to that. I remember one man telling me at one of the stores, starring me in the eyes. "These are the best speakers ever built". I smiled and said "Wow, thats impressive". Now i had a choice whip out my credit card and take his word for it or just realize that it was his opinion. (The speakers he was referring to cost around 1 million, and i didn't have that kind of money).

From working in the studio i loved to have, often very funny conversations about how bad brand X of guitar amplifiers sound. Whatever the time, we would never agree on anything. And thats the fun of it but it is also the truth. When asking to audition a much lower priced pair of speakers, he said that they had no time and i should come back in a week. I never did.

A few weeks later i was shopping for a new record player, i thought i needed one because my dad left me around 1000 lps. The speakers he had hooked up were Harbeth. I asked "what is this?" He gave me a brochure and i did my reading. BBC is very famous in the recording field, thanks to them we have one of my favorite microphones, the Coles ribbon mic. Next time i went back i took some records that sounded very bad. The idea was if these sound good i'm buying. And they did.

So what did i find? I found a speaker i liked. Would my coworker, my girlfriend, my mom agree with me? I don't know. Are Harbeth the best speakers in the world? I have no idea. I'm just happy its over : )

Harbeth ends equipment churn for me too

Congrats on the find Jocke153,

I too discovered Harbeth quite by accident thanks to walking into my dealer's store who had picked up the line years after I made my first purchases there.

I also own a pair of M30.1s and since purchasing them I have not had any temptation to upgrade or change them.

Comment

I also discovered my new 30.1s by accident. My old speakers died, and I was looking for others at my favourite dealer's. I listened to a particular jazz record as he hooked up two or three different models that sounded ok. I decided to sleep on it, but heading out of the show room, I was considering what wood colour I wanted. "Something like those over there," I said. Then, "Why don't we listen to those." So I did. I asked after a few ,minutes what record we were listening to. The dealer said, "the same one you were listening to before." It sounded - better - and I didn't recognize it. I also felt the speakers were certainly less fatiguing that the ones I had listened to earlier. Anyway, as the story obviously ends, those are the speakers that I bought and look forward to using.

F.

Comment

Bit lax of the dealer to allow you out of the shop without auditioning Harbeth.

Comment

Working...
        X