Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M40.1 improvement and room size require?

Hello,

Firstly, I would like to take the opportunity to say to all and to Mr. Alan: happy Christmas and whish best New Year.

I have two questions to determine whether I purchase S-HL5 or M40.1:

- What the improvement between M40.1 over S-HL5? Is the M40.1 having significant improvement in resolution or just meant for a large room? And does keep the warm side and emotional as other Harbeths?

- And can M40.1 work perfectly with my room size? Im asking this because I noticed in some posts that; work better ONLY in large room Vs good for all rooms Vs need space around it! So im bit confused.

I need precise answer because I don’t want the sound to be TOO loud or irritating or bommy bass and cause ear fatigue. I need a perfect room match; also process the sound at best quality possible.

My room size in meters is: 7L X 3.5W, height 2.7. And there is some furniture’s and TV, and im using Krell amp.

Many thanks to all.

Sincerely.

Comment

• Re: M40.1 improvement and room size require?

I compared the SLH5 and 40.1 (both recent production) in a not very large space and thought the 40.1's were better overall, especially in the lower mid-upper bass transision. A different room may well hugely influence the outcome though. I can't help but let my enthusiasm for the 40.1 come out though ;)

Comment

My listening room is roughly 'L' shaped, the main section being approx 14 x 14 ft with a section 8 x 7 ft tacked on. The M40.1's work really well here with no sign of boom or bloom. As tight as a Duck's ar*e I believe. The speakers are no more than 18 inches or so from the walls and are sat atop the wonderful Something Solid stands.

If anything, they are tighter and cleaner than the SHL5 in this situation even though the M40.1 bass goes deeper and louder than the SHL5. You would never accuse the M40.1 of being 'boomy' or fatiguing. All of the Harbeth's are sweet and clean with no trace of irritation.

The M40.1 has the clarity and communication of the other Harbeth speakers but with the weight, solidity and power capability that the smaller models can't manage. I would definitely have it at the top of my wish list if i was auditioning speakers.

Comment

Hi Moqadam,

My room size is similar. I have the SHL5 and M40.1. I would go with the M40.1.
          For the room size, sound treatment is very important.

Pls see my set up here and here

Comment

Nice system and the sound treatment looks effective and unobtrusive. In my room I have absorbent panels on the wall behind the speakers and some to the sides, plus some diffusion in the form of racks of equipment to one side and the rear.. Seems to work well.

After reading a few comments on this forum, I was initially worried about using the M40.1 in my room but they work perfectly and I am very pleased. So are my customers, which is just as important.

Comment

I have not heard the SLH 5's but enjoy my M40.1's since almost 2 months now.

The M40.1's are quite fabulous overall and certainly not boomy or slow in the bass in my 9 m x 4 m listening room. Having sisal and coconut carpets on the floor and 2 wide library furniture helps of course to get a lively yet resonnance free room.

I can hardly imagine more clarity combined with such a warmth, tonal truth and balance. They are also fast, agile and dynamic.

Only the sensitivity is rather low but they are easy to drive and you will not want to listen to them louder than the real instruments or voices anyway, as you'll notice immediately that it's not sounding as right anymore ... you just need a good, fast amplifier with enough headroom. to handle the peaks

In fact, i'm in the process of getting now a slightly more powerfull amplifier than my excellent 45 watter

Comment

Thank you very much to all for helpful reply. And thank you Jmohd for the nice pictures? surely a wonderful room listening you have.

I assume absorbents and damping room could be important in my situation, so I will look into that.

Surprisingly Haddock you are using very low watt AMP! I have Krell full power balanced 200 watts per channels, its not only matter of 200 watt! But it is full power balance design, which is a huge size and wight too! I just hope shouldn?t sound louder or harm the speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by moqadam View Post
                  Thank you very much to all for helpful reply. And thank you Jmohd for the nice pictures? surely a wonderful room listening you have.

I assume absorbents and damping room could be important in my situation, so I will look into that.

Surprisingly Haddock you are using very low watt AMP! I have Krell full power balanced 200 watts per channels, its not only matter of 200 watt! But it is full power balance design, which is a huge size and wight too! I just hope shouldn?t sound louder or harm the speaker.
                  The M40.1 is a robust speaker and I've never come close to over-driving them. Anyway, you have a volume control on your amp to allow you to set your preferred and safe listening level.

Comment

Hi hifi dave,
                    I'm curious about the Something Solid stands you're using with the 40.1's. Did you just happen upon them or did you do much comparison? Have you compared them with Skylans?

I'm pleased you listed your room dimensions, mine are identical. Good to know I can upgrade to the 40.1's!

Are the Something Solid stands available in the States? I see Signals carries them, and I imagine you as well.

Cheers
                    MQ

Comment

I'm pretty certain the Simple Solid stands are unavailable in the States. But read this review for the best 40.1 stands available anywhere!... rather expensive though!
                      http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...tic_revive.htm

Comment

just a tad, I'm afraid.....
                        at least Alan will have something to write about....

Comment

I don't believe the Something Solid stands are available anywhere other than GB. The manufacturer is a Hi-Fi enthusiast and makes them for 'love' and 'fun' rather than as a living because he has a proper job. That's not to say that he would be averse to making a few to be exported.

Over the years I have tried many mass loaded stands with all sorts of speakers but since the inception of these SS stands, they are all I have sold. I haven't used Skylan because they are not available here but I have tried similar.

The Something Solid stands are fast, clean and communicative whilst the usual mass loaded jobbie is (in comparison) fat, bloomy and slooooow. The SS id a rigid, light stand which couples the speaker to the uprights via carbon fibre pucks. This allows dissipation of energy as speedily as possible whilst holding the speaker rigidly in place. The mass loaded stand holds onto the energy and releases it slowly resulting in a 'smear' which is why they sound slightly better when the speaker is decoupled from it. So I believe.

Comment

I heard Alan mention his appreciation for the kind words regarding the correspondence with the gent and then something like "Clearly we're in the wrong business". I think that is what he said. Not sure if he means he should be in stand manufacture, room acoustic design or journalism. Maybe all three?
                            Harbeth PR,
                            Harbeth UK

Comment

The grass is always greener !!!

May I ask, which 'gent' ???

Comment

The journalist/reviewer. Mr. Day. Comments in his review of the stand.
                                Harbeth PR,
                                Harbeth UK

Comment

Working...
                                X