Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbeth Monitor 40.1 & Leben CS 660P

Hi Jeff
    I have the Leben HiFi CS 660P amplifier powering the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 speakers, I just wanted to say I can now appreciate all your very positive reviews and feedback on this combination.
    The pairing sound wonderful together.
    Cheers Jason.
    Attached Files
    Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

• So Jason, which set-up did you prefer, M40.1 with the pass labs or Leben CS 660P?

Comment

• Harbeth Monitor 40.1

Hi Jmohd
        That is a hard question as both amplifier sounded excellent on the Monitor 40.1 speakers in their own ways.
        I think the M 40.1 speakers have a musical flow & relax more with the Leben Hi Fi CS 660 P power output of 40 watts, the Pass Labs X350.5 has 350 watts which really grips the speaker drivers to produce a tighter sound.
        The Pass Labs XA60.5 or XA100.5 mono blocks would be the best solid state option for the M40.1 that I have available.
        The Leben HiFi CS 660 P is the best Valve amplifier that I have matched with the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 speakers to date.
        Thanks Jason.
        Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

• Hi Jason.
          Very nice set up!
          What preamp are you using, here on the pictures, with the Pass Lab?

Comment

• Hi Hagto
            Thank you for your positive feedback on my audio system, the preamplifier being used is the Quicksilver full function valve preamplifier with dual volume controls.
            I have replaced the standard tubes supplied with Mullards in the line & phono stage, this is a excellent sounding preamplifier.
            I am going to try the Leben HiFi RS 100U preamplifier & Pass Labs XP-10 preamplifier to see which has the best system synergy in my room.
            Thanks Jason.

Originally posted by Hagto View Post
            Hi Jason.
            Very nice set up!
            What preamp are you using, here on the pictures, with the Pass Lab?
            Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason View Post
              Hi Hagto
              Thank you for your positive feedback on my audio system, the preamplifier being used is the Quicksilver full function valve preamplifier with dual volume controls.
              I have replaced the standard tubes supplied with Mullards in the line & phono stage, this is a excellent sounding preamplifier.
              I am going to try the Leben HiFi RS 100U preamplifier & Pass Labs XP-10 preamplifier to see which has the best system synergy in my room.
              Thanks Jason.
              Thank You!
              I thought it was a Quicksilver but asked to be sure. I have had the KT88 monoblocks from them. Classic gear!
              I have also had the Pass lab Int-150 on a pair of Hl5's. I thougt that was a fine combination. Do not be shy to put out more pictures of your lovely system.
              Thanks from Torry.

Comment

• Hi Torry
                I have also tried the Pass Labs INT 150 on the Harbeths SHL5 & the Monitor 40.1 with excellent results, the Pass INT 150 is a wonderful Integrated amplifier with good current delivery & tonal qualities.
                I will try to add new pictures from time to time.
                Thanks for the encouragement.
                Jason.

Originally posted by Hagto View Post
                Thank You!
                I thought it was a Quicksilver but asked to be sure. I have had the KT88 monoblocks from them. Classic gear!
                I have also had the Pass lab Int-150 on a pair of Hl5's. I thougt that was a fine combination. Do not be shy to put out more pictures of your lovely system.
                Thanks from Torry.
                Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

• Hello, Guys

Jason, it looks as though you reside in Paradise. There must be a great quality of life there, with the beautiful vistas and access to beautiful music through your facility. Your system looks fabulous!

Torry, I use Quicksilver V4 mono amps, likely a descendant of your amps, with my Monitor 30's. A great match, mainly with KT 88 tubes (better bass). With 6L6 tubes (can you swap those into your amps?), the midrange is glorious, but the bass is a bit loose.

Cheers, and enjoy the music!

Bob LaBarca
                  State College, PA
                  USA

Comment

• Monitor 40.1

Hi Bob
                    Thanks for you positive comments on my audio systems and the place we live Muriwai beach.
                    I love living at Muriwai Beach which is located on the wild west coast out of Auckland, I consider it paradise when the sun is shining and the surf is pumping.
                    Music is very important to us & a major part of our lives, we try to go to as many live concerts & music festivals as we can in NZ.

The Quicksilver V4 Mono are excellent amplifiers and I have just bought in a pair for a friend of mine, he is very impressed with the build quality and sound of the V4 mono, he is using the KT 88 valves as well.
                    I am sure they would be a excellent match with the Harbeth range of speakers.

I have a view picture of Muriwai beach attached.
                    Thanks Jason.
                    Attached Files
                    Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

• Harbeth Monitor 40.1

Hi Guys
                      I have a picture of one of my audio systems that is matched with the Harbeth Monitor 40.1.
                      The CD player is the Oracle CD2500 being used as the Transport, the Dac is the Concert Fidelity 040, the preamplifier is the Quicksilver full function reference model (also see Quicksilver V4 mono amps on the bottom shelf) and the Leben HiFi CS 660P power amplifier.
                      Thanks Jason.
                      Attached Files
                      Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

• HI Jason,

Have you tried to match tbe M40.1 with the Pass Labs Xa100.5 and Lamm?
                        Currently i'm undecided to go which direction. Your thoughts please.

Thanks

Comment

• Harbeth Monitor 40.1

[QUOTE=Jmohd;9071]HI Jason,

Have you tried to match tbe M40.1 with the Pass Labs Xa100.5 and Lamm?
                          Currently i'm undecided to go which direction. Your thoughts please.

Hi Jmohd
                          I have not tried either the Lamm M1.2 Reference or the Pass Labs XA100.5 mono blocks on the Monitor 40.1 yet sorry.
                          I did use the Lamm M1.2 on the Harbeth SHL5 with excellent results, I am sure you would be very happy with either pair of mono blocks on the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 as they are similar power of the very finest 100 Watts pure class A output & huge reserves of current if needed.
                          I have a picture of the Pass Labs XA30.5 powering the M40.1 below.
                          Thanks Jason.
                          Attached Files
                          Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

• I ordered my 40.1s this week and was wondering what affordable stand choices are out there? I am currently using the Sound Anchor 17" four post stands with my SHL5s. I like them alot but dont feel like putting out 750.00 USD for a pr. for the incoming 40.1s. I'm in georgia USA. Any options?
                            Thanks for any help.

Comment

• Something Solid XF, approx 250 in GB.

Comment

• Hello, trh

Another option would be the Foundation stand, designed specifically for the 40.1 (500.00). You can find it at:

www.planetofsoundonline.com

Good Hunting!

Comment

Working...
                                X