Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Anchor in Florida makes a good stand but if they are that much there several other options. The two above are good. So are stands made by Skylan and Noel is a great guy to work with especially if you have any special needs. http://www.skylanstands.com/ or give him a call at (403) 273 1735. Lots of options.

John

Comment

• Hello again, trh

Here's a P.S. to my reply: The 500.00 is Canadian, so they should be cheaper in USD's!

Comment

• Thanks alot everyone. I'll let you know what i decide on. Looking forward to getting the 40.1s and comparing them to my greatly enjoyed SHL5s.

Comment

• I am going to go with the Foundation stands for the 40.1s. Anyone else using them?

Comment

• Hello,trh

I suggested them originally and use them under my Monitor 30's. They're classically "British looking" and will allow your 40.1's to "breathe" sonically.

Excellent choice!

Comment

• Originally posted by KT88 View Post
              Hello,trh

I suggested them originally and use them under my Monitor 30's. They're classically "British looking" and will allow your 40.1's to "breathe" sonically.

Excellent choice!
              Yep, it was your link that sent me to them. Thanks. I like the thinner look of the stands alot.

Comment

• M401s arriving soon

My 40.1s get here today.

Comment

• resonant characteristics of the speaker cabinet

Dear Alan,

I own a pair of 40.1s. There has been much debate in the HUG about the type of stands which can be used with these fine speakers and I know that your position has been largely neutral. However, I wanted to seek your opinion on the theory that the amount of contact surface area between the bottom of the speaker cabinet and speaker stand may have an impact on the resonant characteristics of the speaker cabinet which in turn may affect the perceived timbral balance of the speaker. Notice that I have stayed away from the contentious topic of the type, amount or thickness of contact material between the speaker cabinet and the speaker stand.

Comment

• M401

Hi jeff, I am Lucho from Lima, Peru, and I own a pair of shl 5 in part thanks to you, you convinced me with your stuff at 6 moons.

I am very grateful for that because I love the speakers but i'm very interested in knowing if you had made advances in controlling the bass in your 40.1. If you can't do it i'll never do it in my room and so my must forget my dream of upgrading. Let us know please how the process is going. Thanks.

{Moderator's comment. No, we have not made or needed to make any changes to M401 bass. The M401 is a professional speaker and is designed to be used in a well controlled (damped) acoustic for the optimum sound}

Comment

• M401 - no problems in all rooms

I use the M40.1 in a relatively small room with the backs no more than 15 inches from the wall and the sides around 18 inches. I can assure you that the bass is tight, clean, punchy and definitely well controlled with every amp I've used.

I don't know where you got the impression that there is a problem with the bass but I have not found any problems at all in any of the rooms I have used them in.

Comment

• M401 in 12 x 20' room

Here are the Monitor 40.1's in a 12.5 x 20' room. Although they are fairly close to the side walls, the bass response is not at all overpowering. Most who have heard the system are favourably impressed.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Haven't try such an angled position with my SHL5. Is there any advantages?

Sebastien

Comment

• M401 use at home (imaging etc.)

Listening on axis will provide the flatest response. Toe-in will to some extent reduce the speakers interaction with the side walls at the listening position. The phantom centre image will be more focused. For some they may find a reduction in the soundstage width, but if this is true I have never found it bothersome. Listening nearfield really helps take the room out of the picture as you are hearing more direct vs reflected sound.

This is how I see things. Others may have differing opinions and priorities. For me focus and image clarity are very high on my list.

Comment

• Is 40.1 right choice for me?

Hello everybody,

I’m a newbie and have an empty (as yet) study room (4mX8m and height is 3m) as a listening room. So there will be no WAF, and any ugly acoustic solution won't cause a problem. I'm trying to read all posts about 40.1 before buying, still have questions in my mind:

So far, I have listened the same CD’s through lots of speakers including ATC, ProAc, Esoteric, M.Acoustics, Sonus Faber, KEF, Quad, Dali, Cabasse, Focal, Gryphon Motto, Paradigm in different hi-fi shops throughout a few monthes (not an AB test; I have just note down what I liked and what I didn't).

---

At the end , an old used Harbeth 40 became my favourite, because of the best of the best 3D soundstage + palpable imaging together, I have ever met.
                              Q1) Is this (soundtaging and imaging) up to room acoustics or Harbeth 40’s characteristics?

---

The only thing I didn’t like is: I felt the mids (or lower trebles) were muffled, as if vocal was singing through a horn shape pipe or from a cave.
                              Q2) Do you think if this is up to room acoustics or Harbet 40’s characteristics? Instruments (besides vocals) were ok... and there was no this feeling (vocals through a horn) when I listened after changing just 40's with ATC 100's in the same room.

---

Q3) I have no chance to listen 40.1 before buying. I have read the following Alan's message but still I'm not sure what has been changed when it comes to listening music for about both these aspects? what will I lose and get extra?
                              http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...=2436#post2436
                              Basses was boomy with 40 in that room and I think I'll get "tighter bass" with 40.1;
                              "...vocals will become more realistic" Does it mean what I called muffled vocals will become normal?

---

Q4) There is another interesting note: boring.
                              First, it was boring to me to listen ProAc speakers with Chord amplifier. When I matched another amplifier and speakers, I had realized that both were not boring anymore.
                              My notes says, I felt bored to listen the CD's I liked before, with ATC amplifier and Harbeth 40 speaker match.
                              But ATC amplifier and ATC speaker were not playing boringly together.
                              I did't have a chance to listen 40 with another amplifier.
                              What causes that: while some match of components plays boringly and some other makes me toe tapping? Does 40.1 changes over 40 made any difference about that?

---

Q5) Where can I download this (4MB article about damping a room) file?

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...=5945#post5945
                              ---

Q6) Is active 40.1 on the road? Should I wait for it?

---

Any recommendations are welcome.

kind regards,
                              Adnan

{Moderator's comments: a) if you like the pushed-forward sound of some speakers then a speaker with a neutral balance will in contrast sound recessed. That's just how the ear works b) no active M40.1 planned at this time.}

Comment

• M40.1 - most natural ....

If you liked the M40, you will enjoy the M40.1 even more as it is cleaner, tighter, more communicative whilst retaining the tactile, 3D imaging. The M40.1 is the most natural, easy going effortless speaker I have heard.

Comment

Working...
                                X