Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My room with a view

Originally posted by Sebastien View Post
    Hi Jason,

As I can see by the two pictures you provided, there are few things you can try to improve the sound in your room:

1) place a carpet on the floor to reduce the first reflections on the floor;

2) cover the windows with some heavy curtains to reduce the reflections at these places.

Sebastien
    Hi Sebastien
    Thanks, Yes both valid points. I use Turkish rugs on the wood floors already, but the double glazed opening widows look 30 miles up the West Coast beach of Muriwai so no drapes or blinds for now.
    I am lucky enough to have another dedicated listening room down stairs which is fully treated for sound acoustics that is my main demonstration audio room.
    Pictures attached.
    Attached Files
    Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

• M40.1 in use at home

I have been having some problems with too much bass output with the majority (but not all) of electronics I have tried with them, and even with the ones that have been in the acceptable range bass balance is a wee bit more plentiful than I would like.

As relatively new owner (and enjoyer!) of the Harbeth M40.1 I would like to give a suggestion on the above point. I also had in the beginning some trouble with 'resonating' (and too much) bass. A friend told me to acoustically decouple the CD/streamer/pre- and poweramp by placing small ebony blocks on ceramic balls under them. This really had a huge effect in even clearer sound but especially the bass problems were mainly gone. Ebony is also used in musical instrument building (violins, violincello). Of course, there are definitely other ways to decouple the electronics.
      Hope this helps somebody with the same issue.

{Moderator's comment: please remember that the M40/M40.1 (or its logical predecessors the BBC LS5/8 or Rogers PM510) was designed as a professional monitor and is intened to be used in a controlled, properly damped acoustic where the speaker's bass response is perfectly balanced with that of the room absorption. It is unlikely to offer its best performance in a domestic room with little or no damping where the smaller Harbeths may work well.}

Comment

• M40 port plugs?

Hello!

If I recall correctly, I believe that the original Monitor 40's came with foam plugs for each of the two bass ports on each speaker. Perhaps the HUG Moderator can enlighten us on this, and are they still available? Certainly a easily reversible experiment for possible bass reduction. I wouldn't mind having a set of them to try on my Monitor 30's.

Sounds as though you found an effective tweak there-thanks for passing it along.

{Moderator's comment: I don't recall them being a Harbeth accessory. But they are easy to make yourself. Alternatively a (clean) sock stuffed with other socks or cotton wool would allow you to make the same experiment.}

Comment

• What is your system?

hfleuren,

Please let us know what are your components, cables and speaker stand.

Comment

• My 40.1s in my untreated room sound wonderful

I have the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 in one of my listening rooms that is not acoustically treated and they sound wonderful, this shows that a normal listening room with enough space around the speakers that in a day to day living room good sound is achievable.

If you have to much bass either move the speakers further out in to the listening room away from side and rear wall behind the speakers, next suggestion is to use a power amplifier that is known to have good bass control that is recommended as a good match for the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 from other Harbeth owners.

The last solution and one that really should be the first upgrade to any music/audio room (WAF factor allowing) is Acoustic room treatment, I can not stress this point strongly enough, if you want the biggest gains in sound reproduction in your home use acoustic room treatments.
            In my main audio room I use a combination of RealTraps and Acoustic Sciences Corporation tube traps, the sonic results from this room acoustic treatment is well worth the expenditure.

"I'd rather listen to a mid-fi system in a high-end room than a high-end system in a mid-fi room, any day."
            By Art Noxon, Acoustic Engineer / President ASC.

http://www.acousticsciences.com/
            Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

• M40.1 - in my experience clean and tight without bloom

In my demo room, which has no bass treatment, the M40.1's are angled slightly towards the listener on Something Solid stands. The rear edge of the speakers is only 7-8 inches from the rear wall and the outside edges are around 15 inches from the side wall. Not an ideal situation, perhaps but here the speakers are clean and tight with not a trace of bloom. They sound wonderful.

I have also used them in a couple of other not ideal rooms and they always sound very good indeed. I wouldn't recommend them for small rooms but from my experience, they aren't over fussy at all.

Comment

• Which amp with M40.1?

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
                In my demo room, which has no bass treatment, the M40.1's are angled slightly towards the listener on Something Solid stands. The rear edge of the speakers is only 7-8 inches from the rear wall and the outside edges are around 15 inches from the side wall. Not an ideal situation, perhaps but here the speakers are clean and tight with not a trace of bloom. They sound wonderful.

I have also used them in a couple of other not ideal rooms and they always sound very good indeed. I wouldn't recommend them for small rooms but from my experience, they aren't over fussy at all.
                May I ask which amp you prefer to demo the M40.1 with? LFD?

Comment

• Amps with M401

Hi Will

I have used several amplifiers with excellent results on the Harbeth monitor 40.1.

The Leben CS 660P, The Pass Labs XA100.5, Pass Labs INT150, the Lamm M1.2 reference, I have the LFD NCSE integrated coming soon to match with the Harbeth 40.1, I am sure the LFD NCSE will be a excellent match for all the Harbeth loudspeakers.
                  Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

• Amps with M40.1

Originally posted by Will View Post
                    May I ask which amp you prefer to demo the M40.1 with? LFD?
                    Yes, I often use the LFD Integrated LE Mk.IV with the M40.1. Great sound and good value. Others I use regularly are Croft pre/power and now an integrated at 850, which is soooo good. Albarry have returned with a revision of their 30 year old design, the M608 and pre. Also EAR 899 and various Naim from the Nait XS upwards.

All the above work well.

Comment

• Croft integrated?

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
                      ... I use regularly are Croft pre/power and now an integrated at 850, which is soooo good...
                      Hi Dave,

I can't find their integrated on their site. Any other link?

Thanks,

SL

Comment

• LFD with M401

I am really looking forward to having the LFD NCSE integrated amplifier matched with the Harbeth Monitor 40.1, I think this will be a wonderful combination.
                        I am using the Harbeth SHL5 at the moment with the Pass Labs XA 100.5 mono blocks, the sound is already excellent but I know the Monitor 40.1 will add extra bottom end weight to the music in my large open plan lounge.

The Harbeth SHL5 speakers have replaced the Avantgarde Duo Omega speakers in this room, the SHL5 are a very special loudspeaker that can hold their own musically against loudspeakers costing many times more, just proven again first hand in this instance.
                        Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

• I love my new M40.1!

I have now bought myself a pair of M40.1

I love my new speakers. They are the best loudspeakers I have owned ever. Big soundstage, free from the cabinets, and deep and firm bass.

They also add some aura and cosyness to my living room.

I am a happy man!

I willl very soon post a picture in the various Harbeth at home pictures thread.

Comment

• Lfd ncse?

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                            I am really looking forward to having the LFD NCSE integrated amplifier matched with the Harbeth Monitor 40.1, I think this will be a wonderful combination.
                            I have no chance to try LFD NCSE since it's not sold here, so I googlesearched the user experiences: There are no so many posts about LFD like the others. I remember that one user (or a reviewer) advises to use it with a smooth sounding source since it's sound character is steely.
                            I'd like to hear from you about LFD NCSE and M40.1 match... especially about: what steeliness means...

Comment

• Not steely

'Steely' means hard, screechy, generally unpleasant in the upper frequencies. All of which is not a trait of any LFD amp I have ever heard. If anything, the LFD is warm and solid, well suited to the M40.1.

I would also suggest you try the Croft amps if imported and Naim. They all go well with Harbeth.

Comment

• LFD - valve like sound?

LFD amplifiers have been widely described as having a valve like sound plus the solidity & control of solid states. They also have a liquidity, musicality & tonal purity approaching SETs amps. Steely shouldn't even be used to describe LFD, esp the NCSE.

Comment

Working...
                                X