Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving for the M40.1!

Congrate to you. argh...i must have it one day. saving saving saving....
    "Bath with Music"

Comment

• M40.1 just so .... right!

Congratulations PC, the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 loudspeakers are truly wonderful and a speaker system that is so sonically right in so many ways, by this statement I mean that is does not draw attention to any one area of the music playback (Treble, Midrange, Bass), the Monitor 40.1 just relaxes into the mix producing some of the best Tone of instrument & human voice I have ever heard.

I am sure you will be happy for many years to come.
      Well done on upgrade, thanks Jason.
      Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

• Amp choices?

I just bought a pair of 40.1 that I will pick up within two weeks time. I used to have a dedicated listening room but now I have decided to put the main system in the living room because this is where I prefer to be and because my girlfriend also likes to listen.

I usually don’t play very loud, but sometimes I like to turn it up a bit. The room is not treated acoustically in any way except from furnishing, but it has plenty of volum. The walls are “wooden”, not plaster, plates, roof and floor are wood. I have a couple of DaaDs but hope I will not need them in the living rom. I play a lot of jazz from the 50- and 60 (Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins etc), acoustic blues and folk as well as more “classic” rock like Springsteen, Neil Young, Dire Straits and Pink Floyd.

Today I have a couple of Graaf GM20 (with Hovland HP-100, couple of Rouge Ares, SME20/SME V/Jan Allerts MC2 Finish Gold, Avid Acutus Reference SP/Dynavecotor DV507MKII and XV-1s) driving a pair of Merlin or Living Voice OBX, depends. I am planning to move one pair of these speakers (probably the Merlins) and the Graafs to my second set-up on the lower floor. I plan to move the Graafs out of the main system because I don’t think the 65 OTL-Watt and their impedance-sensitivity would suit the Harbets in my bigger living room. They suit the Merlins well but are very sensitive to love impedance.

What kind of amplifiers would you recommend for the Harbeths? I have been thinking of, Nagra VPA, Rouge Apollo, Audio Research Ref. 210, Joule Electra VZN-160 (lovely with the Merlins) but I don’t know if any of them are good matches. I am open in choice but I would prefer tubes. I have a Hovland HP-100 preamplifier, but this one can also go to the second system and should not limit the choice of amplifier. My question may have been answered already somewhere but I hope it’s ok that I ask again.

This is my room from just after moving in, turntables still in their boxes.

stue.jpg

Comment

• Nice!

This is my kind of speaker!

harbeth 1.jpg
          harbeth 2.jpg

Comment

• Stands?

Originally posted by Fosse View Post
            This is my kind of speaker!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2804[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2805[/ATTACH]
            Fosse,

that's a VERY nice setup. What are those speaker stands you're using? They look beautiful.

thanks!

best regards,
            Manendra

Comment

• Spacers

Fosse,

It's a good combo, the speaker stand with the Soundcare footers. I would suggest that you put spacers between the speaker and the stand top.

I'm using the Soundcare High End (Gold) footers + metal speaker stand + spacer (felt) on the stand top + SHL-5 with very good effect.

Comment

• Japanese marketing?

Hello Alan.

Something struck me the other day as I was looking through my Japanese father-in-law's collection of Stereo Sound magazine (he has a copy of every issue published since the first one in the late 1960's). Why isn't the Harbeth M40 / M40.1 sold in the Japanese market? The Japanese music lovers seem to love small monitors and huge horn monitors with 15inch drivers in small rooms.

With many house's in Japan made of tatami and wood, I would have thought the M40.1 with its 12 inch bass driver and low frequency response would work well in those rooms where the low frequency would just escape out of the tatami and shoji paper windows.

Comment

• Japanese room construction

Originally posted by tmokbel View Post
                  Hello Alan.

Something struck me the other day as I was looking through my Japanese father-in-law's collection of Stereo Sound magazine (he has a copy of every issue published since the first one in the late 1960's). Why isn't the Harbeth M40 / M40.1 sold in the Japanese market? The Japanese music lovers seem to love small monitors and huge horn monitors with 15inch drivers in small rooms.

With many house's in Japan made of tatami and wood, I would have thought the M40.1 with its 12 inch bass driver and low frequency response would work well in those rooms where the low frequency would just escape out of the tatami and shoji paper windows.
                  Having lived in Japan for three years, in different places (and having also seen a number of domestic environments other than my own), I suspect there are a number of reasons, but I don't doubt the main one is simply lack of space.

There may be a few legendary audiophiles who have ancient Tannoys or Altec-Lansing horns or whatever, but I guarantee you the overall number is very small. Not only are Japanese living quarters generally quite cramped, they are often also multifunctional - traditionally, futons and bedding are put away during the day and laid out on the living room tatami floor at night (maybe not for more modern construction or larger houses, but there are many traditional dwellings where that's still done). Hard to do that with a large and relatively immovable pair of speakers in the way.

Also, tatami is lovely flooring to walk on but it's only an inch or so thick, maybe an inch and a half - that's not going to soak up much bass. Neither is shoji, which is not used for exterior windows (those are glass) but is sometimes found in sliding dividers between rooms. It's just paper, and will absorb no bass at all.

Comment

• More on Japan

Originally posted by EricW View Post
                    There may be a few legendary audiophiles who have ancient Tannoys or Altec-Lansing horns or whatever, but I guarantee you the overall number is very small. Not only are Japanese living quarters generally quite cramped, they are often also multifunctional...Hard to do that with a large and relatively immovable pair of speakers in the way. ...Also, tatami is lovely flooring to walk on but it's only an inch or so thick, maybe an inch and a half - that's not going to soak up much bass. Neither is shoji, which is not used for exterior windows (those are glass) but is sometimes found in sliding dividers between rooms. It's just paper, and will absorb no bass at all.
                    Thanks or the clarification and further insight into Japanese dwelling EricW.

I guess when you have a Japanese audio magazine that always has a section every issue devoted to 'owners systems at home', it would easy to think such big horn speakers are commonplace in Japanese homes, but I see what you mean. With over 130 million people, the Japanese audio hobbyist doesn't blip on the radar at all especially ones with huge speakers given the reasons you've mention about typically tight living spaces in Japan.

I can see now why the Japanese audiophile cherishes a speaker like the P3ESR or Compact 7 that are easy to setup and install, don't get in the way of their traditional living spaces and at the same time give the beautiful and wide sound stage they love

Comment

• The reality of selling

Did you know that Sugano san, the editor of Stereo Sound magazine uses three pairs of Compact 7ES3 at his home, which he considers to be the ultimate speaker system on which he has judged, for many years, the world's audio electronics brought to him for review? I think that is perhaps the one greatest testament to the Harbeth brand, when he could have any speakers, made anywhere, regardless of size. It was a career high point for me when he told me.

Harbeth's internal business structure is fundamentally different from any other business I am aware of. Here at HQ, we do not have any one individual who you could call a salesman or sales manager or even marketing manager. We have never asked for an order - ever - and to have such an individual on the payroll just so that we could say we had a sales dept. would be money down the drain. We are in the fantastically lucky position (thanks to you, our customers) of letting the sales process take care of itself. Bulk orders come in from around the world almost every day from distributors who have convinced themselves that they need stock, with no cajoling whatever from us. In strict sequence, we add those orders to the back of the production queue (about 6 months at the moment) and in time, we make them and ship them. Almost all distributors are sufficiently well organised that they place rolling orders so that every month they have fresh stock arriving from Harbeth UK to sell, enough in their warehouse until the next delivery, and so it goes on.

It follows from that that we are, in marketing speak, 'order-takers' not 'order-getters' and that's exactly how I want to run this business. If somebody believes that Harbeth products are right for them and steps forward, we are delighted to supply. To have applied some coercion, surely part of the normal sales process, in my opinion devalues the product and turns what is a carefully designed and carefully made craft product into a commodity. And that just does not feel right to me. So we just stand back and fortuitously sales just happen.

Incidentally, we've just concluded our 37th year on 31 March, and sales are up 9.6% on last year, making it another record year. What was interesting to note is that that sales of some models have doubled in that time. A year or two ago, I'd have willingly shared the specifics here with you, but we are now at a stage in our development where we have to be a little more circumspect with that sort of information. I really regret that. What I can say is that in addition to Eric's well considered contribution about the reality of Japanese listening spaces, we have to trust our distributors (who as good business people exist to satisfy a demand) to know what products best suite their local market. Sometimes it is intuitive here at HQ. Sometimes it is quite surprisingly counter-intuitive, but whatever the distributor decides is the right product (and indeed, the right price after considering margin, transport, import duty, insurance, currency fluctuations etc.) is their decision and theirs alone.

P.S. It's amazing how rumors start. At every 31st March we stop production and count every single piece part to reconcile our computer inventory balances with the actual count. It takes several days to count about 800 stock lines during which, as pre-planned, there is no production. A caller mentioned today that he'd heard from a normally sober source that there a sinister reason why we were doing our (annual) inventory check. Audited accounts (which is unheard of at this size of business) mandate formal, randomly supervised, inventory counting and gives me the comfort that the systems and checks and balances we believe that we have we really do have, and that should highly reassuring to our customers. We're a proper, serious business and plan to be around for a long, long time!
                      Alan A. Shaw
                      Designer, owner
                      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

• Sugano san

Thank you for sharing this look into your business, Alan. And it is most impressive that Sugano san is using your Compact 7ES3s as his reference speakers!
                        Edward

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned Mast View Post
                          Thank you for sharing this look into your business, Alan. And it is most impressive that Sugano san is using your Compact 7ES3s as his reference speakers! Edward
                          I'll try and remember where the very nice quote from Sugano san is, when he settled upon the C7ES3. From memory, and rather poignantly, he said something to the effect that 'I have decided that the Harbeth C7ES3's are my final speaker systems...'.

For a man of his stature (and means) to select the C7ES3s from amongst thousands of potential candidates is gratifying. Even more telling, perhaps, for an industry that has its particular norms, is that he paid the full price.
                          Alan A. Shaw
                          Designer, owner
                          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

• Comfort zone

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                            Audited accounts (which is unheard of at this size of business) mandate formal, randomly supervised, inventory counting and gives me the comfort that the systems and checks and balances we believe that we have we really do have, and that should highly reassuring to our customers. We're a proper, serious business and plan to be around for a long, long time!
                            Mr. Shaw,

Not that I had ANY doubts whatsoever of the longevity of your company, but this bit right here is extremely comforting to hear. Thank you for the post. These kinds of "behind-the-scenes" accounts of the company and its practices are always interesting to read about.

Comment

• An honor

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                              Did you know that Sugano san, the editor of Stereo Sound magazine uses three pairs of Compact 7ES3 at his home, which he considers to be the ultimate speaker system on which he has judged, for many years, the world's audio electronics brought to him for review? I think that is perhaps the one greatest testament to the Harbeth brand, when he could have any speakers, made anywhere, regardless of size. It was a career high point for me when he told me.

...in addition to Eric's well considered contribution about the reality of Japanese listening spaces, we have to trust our distributors (who as good business people exist to satisfy a demand) to know what products best suite their local market. Sometimes it is intuitive here at HQ. Sometimes it is quite surprisingly counter-intuitive, but whatever the distributor decides is the right product (and indeed, the right price after considering margin, transport, import duty, insurance, currency fluctuations etc.) is their decision and theirs alone.
                              What an absolute honor that is Alan. An honor to have someone so respected, so revered like Sugano-san deciding that Harbeth's (three pairs!!) will be his speaker. I can only imagine that high point for you, but also, the sense of responsibility you felt to maintain that same standard for years to come in the eyes of a market that does not suffer fools nor warms to anything that they cannot trust. Reading your post, I felt a sudden sense of pride of ownership with my Harbeth's.

Comment

• The benefits of adequate power

This winter I have tested both the Rogue Apollo Black and Joule Electra with the 40.1. Ended up swapping the Graafs and Hovland for Joule Electra pre and power.

The 40.1 benefit from from more power. The Apollos are recommended AS well. I have read somewhere that people have used the 40.1 with Leben CS600. That didn't work here. Not enough power.

Comment

Working...
                                X