Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific

Alan, now that you have returned from THE show and production has (hopefully?) begun on the M40.1, can you provide an approximate time of when we will see the first batch of M40.1's in the USA? Here's hoping for a fantastic 2008 for you and Harbeth!

Eric
    (patiently, but eagerly, awaiting in frigid Cleveland)

Comment

YouTube interview with Alan moved here

(Thanks to this member for finding the interview on-line).

Comment

Alan,

Since M40.1 has been launched already, why is the M40 page in Hi-Fi Speaker section not updated yet?

Comment

It has been. But not on this version of the site.
          Alan A. Shaw
          Designer, owner
          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Eric, I may be your closest Harbeth dealer. We are located in the Detroit area. I'm hoping to have a demo pair in a couple weeks. Fingers crossed. Your certainly welcome for an audition.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the offer, but I actually have a pair of the M40.1' s on order since last spring (with the same dealer that sold me my M30's four years ago). Hence my anticipation for the launch of the M40.1 into actual living rooms!

Comment

What's "SuperWide? stereo separation" that M40.1 presents?

Comment

Monitor 40.1 in Hong Kong

Here is the latest advert for the Monitor 40.1, from Hong Kong.
                  Attached Files
                  Harbeth PR,
                  Harbeth UK

Comment

Hi Allan,

Does the M40.1 have provisions for tri-wiring ? not that I would want one. Or is it just a single speaker post like the new C7es3s ?

Regards
                    Ferdinand

Comment

Monitor 40.1 has (2) "single wiring terminals"

The M40.1 is 'single wiring' that is, it has one pair of rear terminals (red and black) just like the C7ES3.

I have consistently said here for many years that in my opinion, bi or tri-wiring brings no sonic advantage (to my ears) nor does it degrade the sound. But it does add to customer confusion and the potential for damage to an amplifier (or amplifiers in a multi-amp arrangement) if wires are inadvertently shorted. Multi-terminals were added by me about 20 years ago for one reason alone - customer choice, and looking across the industry I believe that most suppliers felt that way too. But the potential for confusion seems to exceed the flexibility so now is the time to simplify, and to legitimately save cost at a time of rising material prices.

I note with some surprise that some others have promoted their return to single-wiring as a rediscovery of the benefit to the consumer of 'enhanced sonic quality'. This is disingenuous coming from their their previously strong advocacy of the benefits of multi-terminal wiring. Our position has always been neutral.
                      Alan A. Shaw
                      Designer, owner
                      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Thanks Alan, that's good to know on the single wiring for the M40s.

Comment

Hi Alan,

I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers from SHL5 to M40.1. My room size is about L5.1m x W2.9m x H2.7m. and is treated with acoustic treatment. Is the M40.1 suitable for my room size?

Thanks

Comment

Wow bro so fast ya.. If the 40.1 do arrive in your house, I'm sure your wife will be even more worried than u bringing a mistress home

Comment

Originally posted by skinhead View Post
                              Wow bro so fast ya.. If the 40.1 do arrive in your house, I'm sure your wife will be even more worried than u bringing a mistress home
                              Bro, year end bonus is coming

Comment

Dear Alan,
                                I note your previous comment that the height of the speaker stands is not really as critical as some would say. I am about to acquire the 40.1s and need to fabricate suitable stands. Is there any sonic implication if the stands were to be made out of solid steel as compared to hollow elements filled sand, lead or any other material? Is there such a thing as an absolute minimum stand height below which detrimental interactions would occur between the bass driver and the floor?

Kalani

Comment

Working...
                                X