Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific

Originally posted by gemincor View Post
    Alan,

I own a pair of 40.1s and have placed them on Skylan stands. Harbeth speakers on Skylan stands make a synergistic fit. The polyurethane pads on the 4 corners of the top shelf of the stands have excellent friction on them to secure the speakers onto the stands. These small pads are just the right thickness.

With a variety of music playing at moderate to loud volumes, there is little vibration to be felt on the 4 legs of the stands which are filled with kitty litter. I have Soundcare superspikes installed on the bottom shelf to the marble floor.

I also did have the opportunity to examine the Sound Foundation stands for ther 40.1s, in my view, the Skylan stands are more rigid. Strangely enough, the metal Sound Foundation stands seem to allow a twisting action to take place along the horizontal axis. This certainly does not bode well for providing a secure platform for speakers. Filling the Sound Foundation stands will in my opinion not help overcome this design issue.

My journey thus far has brought me from Totem, to Avalon to Vandersteen and now Harbeth. What a journey it has been!
    Wow so you must be the 1st guy in spore to own the king? Care to share some initial impression of the king with us here? Thks in advance.

Comment

Going from the Vandersteen 3A Signature to the Harbeth 40.1s is a revelation to me. The fine nuances of the music is easy to hear even at lower volumes without straining. The presentation takes on an altogether relaxed and unforced character. I am able to be caressed by the music without feeling fatigued. The highs are simply natural, smooth and extended with no grainy character.Somehow each listening session does not seem to be long enough. Even my family members hearing from another room are able to discern greater clarity and discernability in the lyrics of vocal pieces. Its still early days for the speakers. I am allowing some more time on them to allow for a fuller appreciation of their prowess. Having said that, I can state with guarded confidence that these speakers are for keeps in the long run.

Comment

Going from the Vandersteen 3A Signature to the Harbeth 40.1s is a revelation to me. The fine nuances of the music is easy to hear even at lower volumes without straining. The presentation takes on an altogether relaxed and unforced character. I am able to be caressed by the music without feeling fatigued. The highs are simply natural, smooth and extended with no grainy character.Somehow each listening session does not seem to be long enough. Even my family members hearing from another room are able to discern greater clarity and discernability in the lyrics of vocal pieces. Its still early days for the speakers. I am allowing some more time on them to allow for a fuller appreciation of their prowess. Having said that, I can state with guarded confidence that these speakers are for keeps in the long run.
        Hi Germincor, thks for sharing your thoughts on the M40.1 with us here. Its certainly good to hear that you are enjoying them more than the Vandy 3A. Harbeths are designed to give the listener a long term musical satisfaction.

Comment

Hi gemincor,

Congrats on your NEW M40.1 and thanks for sharing with us your revelation. I hope to own the speakers one day. BTW, could you please post some pictures of your wonderful system.

Comment

Hello JMohd,

The 40.1s are running in slowly. I have been listening mainly to classical and vocal pieces on them powered by the Jeff Rowland Model 312. The sounds of the harp and other stringed instruments was exquisitely refined and floated free of the speakers. The drums provided a powerful and deep impact to Carmina Burana. Though not a fan of classical music, I now have a new found appreciation of it. It just relaxes one's mind and soothes away stresses of the work day. On vocals, Diana Krall. Holly Cole, Cassandra Wilson and Sarah Vaughn were justly showcased highlighting the style of each singer. I have yet to get down to photographing my system, lets see.

Last but not least, I have registered the speakers online with Harbeth. The question remains whether the warranty period is for 1 year or 3 years. An official clarification from Alan Shaw would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Photo of my new Harbeth Monitor 40.1

I've had my M40.1 for a while now and have been working on getting them optimized to my room and equipment. I used the three-step speaker installation technique outlined by Jim Smith in his book Get Better Sound and it provided excellent results: I set up an installation grid, determined the position of the loudspeakers for the deepest and smoothest bass (using the naturally recorded string bass from Duke Ellington's and Ray Brown's This One's for Blanton), and finally voiced the system for tone (the other option being optimizing for audiophile-style sound effects like imaging, soundstaging, and the like, which I don't consider as important as tone).

I ended up with the M40.1 out about 6.5 feet from the wall behind them, about 9.5 feet apart, and toed out somewhat from the listening axis. The listening position is about 12 feet on the diagonal from the front of the M40.1. This positioning gives me the most natural presentation of bass & tone in my room, a deep & moderately wide soundstage, and quite a sense of an expansive soundspace. See photo below (first time posting a photo, I hope it works).

Best,

Jeff
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jeff,
                What a nice setup you hv there!

Can you please share me how the M40.1 vs 5 in term of dynamic in the same room?

I heard the M40.1 in a not so good setup and room but I did feel the M40.1 to be most balance sounding in term of tonality and big dynamic swing..from ppp to fff..
                "Bath with Music"

Comment

Re: Photo of my new Harbeth Monitor 40.1

Originally posted by Jeff Day View Post
                  I've had my M40.1 for a while now and have been working on getting them optimized to my room and equipment. I used the three-step speaker installation technique outlined by Jim Smith in his book Get Better Sound and it provided excellent results: I set up an installation grid, determined the position of the loudspeakers for the deepest and smoothest bass (using the naturally recorded string bass from Duke Ellington's and Ray Brown's This One's for Blanton), and finally voiced the system for tone (the other option being optimizing for audiophile-style sound effects like imaging, soundstaging, and the like, which I don't consider as important as tone).

I ended up with the M40.1 out about 6.5 feet from the wall behind them, about 9.5 feet apart, and toed out somewhat from the listening axis. The listening position is about 12 feet on the diagonal from the front of the M40.1. This positioning gives me the most natural presentation of bass & tone in my room, a deep & moderately wide soundstage, and quite a sense of an expansive soundspace. See photo below (first time posting a photo, I hope it works).

Best,

Jeff
                  Wow what a nice pic there. I am sure the M40.1 sound immersely musical, enveloping & majestic in that room of yours. Your pic makes me drool.

Comment

Originally posted by keithwwk View Post
                    Hi Jeff,

I heard the M40.1 in a not so good setup and room but I did feel the M40.1 to be most balance sounding in term of tonality and big dynamic swing..from ppp to fff..
                    Hi Keith,

The M40.1 really is excellent on portraying dynamics, both fixed dynamics (ppp to fff), and graded dynamics (crescendos and diminuendos). it is a 'big' and very powerful sounding speaker when the music is, and also very articulate and expressive at the softer end, and it gets everything in between very nicely. Some speakers seem to present dynamics as a step function, acting like a light switch from soft to loud, but miss many levels of fixed dynamcis in between the extremes. Not so with the M40.1, it is able to realistically convey all of the dynamic nuance that is in music, which really brings the music to life. And it scales up the graded dynamics so smoothly and convincingly - it's a real joy in that way.

It's a little hard for me at the moment to compare it to my SHL5s in terms of dynamics, as I haven't really been analytically comparing them in that way. I guess I could say that both are cut from the same cloth from a dynamic standpoint (very natural sounding dynamically), but I suppose that the M40.1 is the bigger cloth and captures the big dynamic swings with more authority, more power, particularly in the bass region.

Having said that though, like the M40.1, the Super 5 is a wonderful speaker and I wouldn't part with mine for anything.

I hope that helps.

Best,

Jeff

Comment

• Re: Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific

Originally posted by keithwwk View Post
                      Hi Jeff,

Hi Bro,

Where do you listen to the M40.1?

Comment

• Re: Photo of my new Harbeth Monitor 40.1

Hi Jeff,

I'm glad to see the M40.1 in your beautiful room .
                        You may also post the picture/s in the Miscellaneous Thread - " Pictures of your beloved Harbeth speaker & setup"

Comment

Originally posted by Jmohd View Post
                          Hi Bro,

Where do you listen to the M40.1?
                          Sorry, I don't understand you question.

Comment

Hi Keith,

The M40.1 really is excellent on portraying dynamics, both fixed dynamics (ppp to fff), and graded dynamics (crescendos and diminuendos). it is a 'big' and very powerful sounding speaker when the music is, and also very articulate and expressive at the softer end, and it gets everything in between very nicely. Some speakers seem to present dynamics as a step function, acting like a light switch from soft to loud, but miss many levels of fixed dynamcis in between the extremes. Not so with the M40.1, it is able to realistically convey all of the dynamic nuance that is in music, which really brings the music to life. And it scales up the graded dynamics so smoothly and convincingly - it's a real joy in that way.

It's a little hard for me at the moment to compare it to my SHL5s in terms of dynamics, as I haven't really been analytically comparing them in that way. I guess I could say that both are cut from the same cloth from a dynamic standpoint (very natural sounding dynamically), but I suppose that the M40.1 is the bigger cloth and captures the big dynamic swings with more authority, more power, particularly in the bass region.

Having said that though, like the M40.1, the Super 5 is a wonderful speaker and I wouldn't part with mine for anything.

I hope that helps.

Best,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
                            Thanks for sharing. What you wrote was what I felt too. But I do not know how to put it to words.
                            Great review!
                            "Bath with Music"

Comment

Hi Jmohd,
                              I heard the King at Sg dealer there. The day before you. I was alone and the only one listen to the King.

Lucky ya?
                              "Bath with Music"

Comment

• Re: Photo of my new Harbeth Monitor 40.1

Best,

Jeff
                                Hi Jeff
                                Your Harbeth Monitor 40.1 speakers look great in that picture, my new Harbeth SHL5 in cherry arrived yesterday and sound wonderful already, I am sure the Harbeth 40.1 sound very musical in your audio system.

Well done & all the best .
                                Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

Working...
                                X