Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Photo of my new Harbeth Monitor 40.1

Originally posted by Jason View Post
    Hi Jeff
    Your Harbeth Monitor 40.1 speakers look great in that picture, my new Harbeth SHL5 in cherry arrived yesterday and sound wonderful already, I am sure the Harbeth 40.1 sound very musical in your audio system.

Well done & all the best .
    Thanks for the kind words, Jason - appreciated. The SL5s are an awesome speaker, and I continue to enjoy mine very much.

Best,

Jeff

Comment

• Leben CS-300X "Limited" Integrated Amplifier with M40.1

Hello fellow Harbethians,

I'm working on writing an article for Positive Feedback Online about the new Leben RS-30EQ valve phono preamplifier. The RS-30EQ was designed for Leben customers who want to add a phono capability to their Leben CS-300XS EL84 integrated amplifier (15 watts) or Leben CS-600 6L6GC integrated amplifier (32 watts). It of course works with any line stage as well.

But what I wanted to tell you about is the results of using my personal Leben CS-300X "Limited" EL84 integrated amplifier with the M40.1 as I was getting started on the article this morning (the CS-300XS and CS-300X "Limited" are exactly the same except the Limited uses NOS Mullard EL84s).

Well first of all, even at only 15 watts, the little Leben CS-300X "Limited" easily drives the M40.1 to very loud levels even with selections like Virgil Fox's Fugue in G Minor on pipe organ (from Virgil Fox Encores on RCA Living Stereo) even in my quite large listening room. It controls the bass remarkably well and is nicely taught and defined. Same for upright bass on jazz recordings. I guess I was a little surprised how well this combo worked together and the synergy it has. The Leben CS-300X "Limited" drives the M40.1 with ease, sounding more like 50 watter than a 15 watter.

Both the M40.1 and Leben CS-300X "Limited" are fairly neutral in their presentation so I coupled them with warmer interconnects and speaker cables to bring out their best. At the moment I'm using Acoustic Revive interconnects and Audio Tekne speaker cables and it is a very nice match. I suspect something like Cardas Golden Cross would be superb too.

Anyways, if you get a chance try to listen to this combo, it's really got a lot of synergy and will likely blow you away (it did me). Superb sonics and musicality in one package. It might seem like a mismatch price-wise, given the Leben integrated is relatively inexpensive as far as hand-crafted valve amplifiers go, but the result is superb. If you want to read more about the Leben CS-300X search the archives over at 6Moons, Paul Candy did a superb write up on it a couple of years ago (which influenced me to buy one). I could easily live with this combo as my only system until my last breath - it's that good.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Leben gear, they are a small specialty company in Japan that enjoys an enthusiastic following not unlike the Leica M rangefinder in the camera world. Great stuff.

I thought I'd tell you about this combo as an example of how wide the amplification options are for M40.1 owners, or for those who might be contemplating a pair of M40.1s but would like to keep the electronics cost at a reasonable level.

Anyways, I hope this is a useful data point for the M40.1 fans out there, and I'll try to post some photos of the little Leben with the M40.1s a little later.

Time to get back to writing ...

Best,

Jeff
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Jeff Day; 04-04-2009, 02:07 AM. Reason: To add photo

Comment

• Re: Leben CS-300X "Limited" Integrated Amplifier with M40.1

Originally posted by Jeff Day View Post
        Hello fellow Harbethians,

I could easily live with this combo as my only system until my last breath - it's that good.

Jeff
        Hi Jeff

Its always a pleasure to read your views whether it be in a Review or a post in the Forum!

The Leben CS-300 sounds like it could be the last piece of equipment for those on the merry-go-round and might be the palliative for audio nervosa. I briefly had the pleasure of owning the CS-600 but heat issues, especially in my tropical clime, made me switch for something cooler! However, the lure of tubes will always beckon!

How does the CS-300 compare with the CS-600 in its pairing with the 40.1?

Best Regards
        Dennis

Comment

• Re: Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific

Originally posted by Jeff Day View Post
          Sorry, I don't understand you question.
          Sorry Jeff, the message was for keithwwk.

Comment

• Re: Leben CS-300X "Limited" Integrated Amplifier with M40.1

Originally posted by denjo View Post
            Hi Jeff

Its always a pleasure to read your views whether it be in a Review or a post in the Forum!

The Leben CS-300 sounds like it could be the last piece of equipment for those on the merry-go-round and might be the palliative for audio nervosa. I briefly had the pleasure of owning the CS-600 but heat issues, especially in my tropical clime, made me switch for something cooler! However, the lure of tubes will always beckon!

How does the CS-300 compare with the CS-600 in its pairing with the 40.1?

Best Regards
            Dennis
            Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the kind words - appreciated.

I haven't yet tried the CS600 with the M40.1 ... sorry about that.

As I progress with the review of the Leben phono stage I'll get time in with the CS600 too, and I'll write about how well they work together with M40.1.

I imagine it'll be a pretty nice match based on the good results I get with the CS600 and the Super HL5 (which I have setup in a second room and listen to almost every day - wonderful!).

More to come!

Best,

Jeff

Comment

• Re: Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific (room size).

So, just to clarify, are there any thoughts whether the M40.1 would be OK in my 21 foot by 14 foot (294 feet square) room on the long wall? (That's about 6.4 meters by 14.26 meters, or 91 meters square.)
              Does anyone have a similar room?
              Does my room qualify under the design parameters of the M40.1? Thanks again.

Comment

If I had a room like yours, I would not hesitate to buy M40.1

One day I will stuff a pair into my dedicated 12'x16' room.

Comment

Originally posted by rgshar View Post
                  So, just to clarify, are there any thoughts whether the M40.1 would be OK in my 21 foot by 14 foot (294 feet square) room on the long wall? (That's about 6.4 meters by 14.26 meters, or 91 meters square.)
                  My room is similar to yours and I have been able to get quite good performance from my M40.1s, so I think you should be fine.

If you go to the link below and scroll down towards the bottom of the article you can see my room, and its similar in size to yours, and I have arranged my M40.1s on the long wall too. I'm getting good results and I suspect you would too.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue43/leben.htm

Comment

Originally posted by rgshar View Post
                    I have a friend who had his M40 in a 9'x 15' room with the speakers along the short wall. Yes, he got greedy when the dealer offered him a good price for the M40's. Of course it wasn't an ideal set-up as the speakers were just few inches from touching the side walls but amazingly there was no bass issues and no boom. He was using a Mcintosh MC402 to drive the M40 and despite the incredibly small space the sound was quite spectacular. We can't listen past 80dB due to the size of the room.

The M40.1 would have no problems fitting inside a 21'x14' room especially if it's placed on the long wall.

Comment

ryder,

Any chance to post pictures of your friend set-up?

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Where do you get those shelves (with glass doors) for your gear? They are beautiful and blend in with the furnishings and whole setup really well! Are they made of solid wood or MDF?

myview

Comment

Originally posted by Jmohd View Post
                          ryder,

Any chance to post pictures of your friend set-up?
                          Hi Jmohd,

Sorry I missed your post. I don't have any pictures of his setup but will ask if he is willing to share it. Actually the speakers are in his bedroom and he had no choice but to put it on the short wall. You can imagine the huge M40's in a space of 9 feet. When I walked into the room the two gigantic boxes were staring at me. They were so close together that they overwhelmed the room. Certainly not an ideal setup, and as I have mentioned earlier(which he freely admitted too), he got greedy. Anyway he has plans to place the system in a more friendly space once he moves out to a new home.

I have another friend who owns the M40.1 and the system was in a much classier living room with great interior design. Unfortunately he leads quiet(and private) life and doesn't share his system pictures too much.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Couldn't help noticing your Alison Krauss and Union Station Album in the picture above. That is one of my favourite albums! Only have it on CD... if you ever feel like passing on your vinyl copy to a new home...

Best regards,

Tozen

Comment

Oh man ... that's a great album for sure! :-)

Comment

• Changes to Harbeth Monitor 40.1?

I was listening to a recent production batch of the Harbeth M40.1. Compared to what I heard 1 year ago, this recent production was amazing - the new M40.1 literally takes my breadth away. Notably soundstanging and music layering was outstanding and I think Art Dudley review (serial no: 0000) was the first Lab quality that went out. I suspect if Art had this recent production, his jaws would drop.

Did Harbeth made some changes in the crossover or whatever designs as it evolves the product.

It is common knowledge not to buy a brand new Mercedes model. Wait a year for Mercedes to iron out the bugs and u will get a perfect Mercedes.

So was there some magic tweek ? Come on spill some beans.

Comment

Working...
                                X