Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

M40.1 in small room?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M40.1 in small room?

Hi. Does 40.1 works well in a small room?
    3m wide and 4m long.
    Sitting 1.5m from speakers.
    And speakers 2m apart
    Untreated.
    Currently with SHL5

It's a mad, mad world

Read this funny story posted a couple of years ago by Alan about the customer who has bought an M40 for his small room contrary to the advice he'd been given. Guess it still remains as valid as then. If the M40 was right for 12m2 rooms then all other Harbeth models would be useless.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...3430#post13430

Comment

My small demo room....

It might be a bit small at 3 mtr wide. My demo room is an L shape with the main listening section being 15 ft square. The M40.1 is wonderful in there, even though the rear edges are only 8 inches from the wall.

Any chance of borrowing a pair to be sure?

Comment

No

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
        It might be a bit small at 3 mtr wide. My demo room is an L shape with the main listening section being 15 ft square. The M40.1 is wonderful in there, even though the rear edges are only 8 inches from the wall.

That is impossible.

Comment

Worst outcome?

A
          Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post

what is the worst scenario i would expect from this larger speaker in my room?
          Last edited by coredump; 18-05-2015, 08:43 PM. Reason: To add reply

Comment

Untreated room

Originally posted by coredump View Post
            what is the worst scenario i would expect from this larger speaker in my room?
            I think it all depends on the volume level and the type of music you play.

If you play loud and/or play music with significant bass content, you're likely to excite more room modes with a bigger speaker.

You said your room was "untreated" but if your room has soft furniture, carpets, cushions, bookcases etc. you may have enough absorption to allow for decent sound.

Also, by sitting close to the speaker you minimize the room contribution. Especially if you play the music quietly.

But if you're playing music quietly in a small room, not sure why you need a Monitor 40.1. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to try it, but it seems to me that a Super HL5 is plenty of speaker for that room.

Comment

Best alternative

Hello together....

We recommend the 40.1 in Rooms not under 40 squaremeters. Then she is one of the Best Speakers in the Market. Maybe the New 40.2 (Sale starting at about in August) will work in a little bit smaller rooms, but never in 15 aquaremeters.

I also agree with EricW that the Super HL 5 Plus is more than enough... and there is nothing missed with this Speaker..... Maybe the Best Speaker under 10.000 ...

kind regards
              Michael

Comment

Ample bass from SHL5+

My room is roughly 5m x 4m. Wooden floor, with a rug and the usual soft furnishings you have in a lounge. My SHL5+s produce ample bass when required to, they do go surprisingly deep.

I have tried numerous other speakers over the years that really don't come close to the standard of these Harbeths. Those that were significantly larger and had more bass were trickier to position without the bass seeming overblown and flabby - really quite unbalanced. The SHL5+s will certainly be enough for your room.

Having said that, Harbeths are room friendly and I've not heard the 40.1s in a small space. I would love a pair, the new 40.2 in particular, but I think that they'd probably be wasted unless I had a bigger listening room.

Comment

Just must buy!

I know this illogical "I must buy a M40.1" from a person I know who owns a SHL5.
                  His room is larger than yours but he will buy the speakers, even if they are to big (in my oppinion). I wrote him that a M40.1 needs space, but he doesn't care.
                  He will buy a M40.1, come hell or high water.

The point is, no matter how many advices you will get, you made your decision, you will buy them. I can't understand but many people are doing things other people quiet don't understand (me too).

Everybody is different and a bit crazy. ;-)

Comment

Nothing quite like M40.1

Eric. Thanks for your comments. I am always fascinated with big speaker and M40.1 has always been my favourite. I like deep n bass with sweet midrange. I have auditioned a lot of speakers at showroom like Wilson audio , B&W 804d 802D and 800d. None come close to Harbeth. And they need mono block to drive. Some have slamming effect while loses the mid range for vocal.

My room are having those hard surface furniture except the full length thick curtain. I used to have a sofa for cushioning the room but have moved out due to space constrain.

My listening pattern varies to my mood on that day . Sometimes I play loud with rock, sometimes soft with jazz and vocal.

To add:
                    Those high end speakers are built for sound effect, not music. To make things worse, the integration between drivers to mid range driver doesn't come close to Harbeth
                    To their credit , some orchestra and soundtrack sound impressive.

Comment

Ordered yet?

Eric. Thanks for your comments. I am always fascinated with big speaker and M40.1 has always been my favourite. I like deep n bass with sweet midrange. I have auditioned a lot of speakers at showroom like Wilson audio , B&W 804d 802D and 800d. None come close to Harbeth. And they need mono block to drive. Some have slamming effect while loses the mid range for vocal.

My room are having those hard surface furniture except the full length thick curtain. I used to have a sofa for cushioning the room but have moved out due to space constrain.

My listening pattern varies to my mood on that day . Sometimes I play loud with rock, sometimes soft with jazz and vocal.

To add:
                      Those high end speakers are built for sound effect, not music. To make things worse, the integration between drivers to mid range driver doesn't come close to Harbeth
                      To their credit , some orchestra and soundtrack sound impressive.
                      So did you pull the trigger yet ? Curious to know

Comment

Do it

Hi coredump, no worries. Go for it.

Comment

No

no I didn't.

still holding on to my SHL5 with Accuphase E560

Comment

My journey back to Harbeth

no I didn't.

still holding on to my SHL5 with Accuphase E560
                            What's wrong with you ??? ;)

The M40.1 is one of the BEST sounds speakers available in the world! I had a pair and sold them 2 years ago .... After the Harbeth, I went to the Tannoy Westminsters, Vienna acoustics the Music, Sonus Faber Elipsa and PMC IB2i. Now I just purchased the last brand new pair of M40.1 in Canada ...Yes, they are that good.

Comment

Are you....

Hi Bluejazz!

That's impressive, do you prefer the m40.1 over westminister? Are you the same guy that has posted videos on YouTube under the name bluemcintosh?

Best regards
                              Jari

Comment

Working...
                              X