Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Vitus Audio and 40.2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vitus Audio and 40.2

    Hi, do you have experience with 40.2 and Vitus Audio integrated amplifier SIA-025?
    The SIA 0-25 is a 25W in pure class A or 100W in Class AB.

    Thanks and regards,
    Giuseppe

  • #2
    100w ideal

    You might have trouble with the 25w if you like to crank up the volume. The 100w will be fine.

    Comment


    • #3
      Higher power output capability at much lower cost

      Originally posted by granosalis View Post
      Hi, do you have experience with 40.2 and Vitus Audio integrated amplifier SIA-025?
      The SIA 0-25 is a 25W in pure class A or 100W in Class AB.
      If you have not already purchased the Vitus amplifier, you may also wish to consider either of the following:
      Marantz PM-11S3: http://www.marantzitaly.com/it/produ...oductid=pm11s3
      Accuphase E-470: http://www.h-fidelity.com/index.php?...1019&MakeVis=x

      Comment


      • #4
        Excellent but expensive electronics.

        If you can buy this amplifier occasionally at competitive price consider this. Very heavy with very efficient trafo section. I have not listened specifically with Harbeths but it coped excellently with floorstanders equipped with 10 inch woofers at audio shop, the best in A/B mode.

        Rather expensive but well engineered uncompromising integrated amp. Try with 40.2s at your local dealer if you can.

        ATB

        Comment


        • #5
          How to identify "well engineered" and "uncompromised" without measurements?

          Originally posted by pkwba View Post
          If you can buy this amplifier occasionally at competitive price consider this. Very heavy with very efficient trafo section. I have not listened specifically with Harbeths but it coped excellently with floorstanders equipped with 10 inch woofers at audio shop, the best in A/B mode.

          Rather expensive but well engineered uncompromising integrated amp.
          Information from the manufacturer in the following report indicates that the Vitus RI-100 is quite similar to the SIA-025, but without the option to be operated in Class A bias mode: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...ted-amplifier/

          Now, compare the test results of the RI-100 with those of the Marantz PM-11S3:
          http://i.nextmedia.com.au/avhub/aust...iew_lo_res.pdf
          http://i.nextmedia.com.au/Assets/mar...test_lores.pdf

          Ignoring the difference in power output, is there anything in the measured performance that might cause you to choose one unit over the other?
          Do they both appear to be well engineered? Is the performance of either unit in some way (other than power output) more compromised?

          Comment


          • #6
            Personal opinions.

            Originally posted by IMF+TDL View Post
            Information from the manufacturer in the following report indicates that the Vitus RI-100 is quite similar to the SIA-025, but without the option to be operated in Class A bias mode: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...ted-amplifier/

            Now, compare the test results of the RI-100 with those of the Marantz PM-11S3:
            http://i.nextmedia.com.au/avhub/aust...iew_lo_res.pdf
            http://i.nextmedia.com.au/Assets/mar...test_lores.pdf

            Ignoring the difference in power output, is there anything in the measured performance that might cause you to choose one unit over the other?
            Do they both appear to be well engineered? Is the performance of either unit in some way (other than power output) more compromised?
            How to identify "well engineered" and "uncompromised" without measurements?
            Hardly. I report only what I heard in person. I do know not if 2 x 100W class AB amplifier with 2 x 25W class A option (quite a lot!) can be topological basis for beefy Ri - 100. Unfortunately we can't judge SIA-025 without proper set of measurements presented. Reviewers writing main part of reports are paid for writing poetry that's why I prefer to confront their aural experiences and anecdotal knowledge with workbench reports (if there are any!)
            That is why, nevertheless my personal opinion, I recommend here to listen the specific configuration of audio set and loudspeakers at dealer's shop. There are many preferences, especially if audio equipment is not the cheapest one ...

            Ole Vitus himself does not seem to sell the air in his heavy audio blocks neither el cheapo electronics. A most of those "bespoke" production from world renowned audio engineers is a kind of expression of their very personal approach to h-fi. One must be aware of it. But it does not mean their products do not measure within widely accepted hi-fi standards.

            ATB

            PS. I am waiting for my guru electronician back. In the meantime he has sent me a list of good grade capacitors that should be replaced after all those years in an old Marantz SM 1000. Has anybody got well done vintage review of this power amp with workbench test?

            Comment


            • #7
              Great amps, great dynamics

              The M 40.2 are big speakers and should be used in relatively big rooms. They are then capable of great dynamics, if used with a powerful amplifier. 2x100 watt does not cut it in precisely those conditions. If you want what may well be the current best in pro audio amplification, why not get two bridged Benchmark AHB2 amplifiers for less than half of what you are planning to spend? On the other hand, it is hard to imagine that you will hear a difference with e.g a 1000 euro Yamaha pro audio amplifier.

              Also, do you need a pre amplifier? These days, at least with all-digital sources you only need a dac with volume control, and some way to switch between inputs, feeding into a power amplifier. So what are your sources?

              Finally, it may make more sense to invest in dsp room equalization, like from the forthcoming DSpeaker Antimode X4.

              Comment


              • #8
                Gain structure?

                Originally posted by IMF+TDL View Post
                Information from the manufacturer in the following report indicates that the Vitus RI-100 is quite similar to the SIA-025, but without the option to be operated in Class A bias mode: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...ted-amplifier/

                Now, compare the test results of the RI-100 with those of the Marantz PM-11S3:
                http://i.nextmedia.com.au/avhub/aust...iew_lo_res.pdf
                http://i.nextmedia.com.au/Assets/mar...test_lores.pdf

                Ignoring the difference in power output, is there anything in the measured performance that might cause you to choose one unit over the other?
                Do they both appear to be well engineered? Is the performance of either unit in some way (other than power output) more compromised?
                The input sensitivity is given as 1W and full power, the vitus has astoundingly high value of 2.6V for full power, meaning that to get full power you might need to actually go near the end of the volume control (and for CD at say 2V that might be an issue in being too high a sensitivity value??) The marantz has a more standard input sensitivity that means it will hit full power early on in the rotation.

                I personally would like to see how the vitus control affects volume, should give a lot of nice room for low level precision.
                Getting to know my C7ES3

                Comment


                • #9
                  Big power, bigger sound

                  Originally posted by willem View Post
                  The M 40.2 are big speakers and should be used in relatively big rooms. They are then capable of great dynamics, if used with a powerful amplifier. 2x100 watt does not cut it in precisely those conditions. If you want what may well be the current best in pro audio amplification, why not get two bridged Benchmark AHB2 amplifiers for less than half of what you are planning to spend? On the other hand, it is hard to imagine that you will hear a difference with e.g a 1000 euro Yamaha pro audio amplifier.

                  Also, do you need a pre amplifier? These days, at least with all-digital sources you only need a dac with volume control, and some way to switch between inputs, feeding into a power amplifier. So what are your sources?

                  Finally, it may make more sense to invest in dsp room equalization, like from the forthcoming DSpeaker Antimode X4.
                  The X4 does seem to be a very interesting product, a DSD DAC with analogue and digital inputs and proprietary digital DSP. Whether physical or digital room correction is employed, it would seem a shame to have a pair of M40.2 without optimising the room.

                  I heard the M40.2 with very powerful amplifiers, 350 or 450 watts. Superb.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    What price power?

                    Originally posted by willem View Post
                    The M 40.2 are big speakers and should be used in relatively big rooms. They are then capable of great dynamics, if used with a powerful amplifier. 2x100 watt does not cut it in precisely those conditions. If you want what may well be the current best in pro audio amplification, why not get two bridged Benchmark AHB2 amplifiers for less than half of what you are planning to spend?
                    While the Benchmark AHB2 has very low distortion and an extremely high S/N ratio, the power output is rather low (~150W) for the price.
                    Also, the switch-mode regulated power supply doesn't allow for any increase in peak/dynamic power output.
                    Using a pair of amps each in bridged mode increases the output power to a specified 480W, but the price then doubles.

                    For less than half the price of one AHB2, the NAD C275BEE has a continuous output of ~200W and a peak output of ~440W.
                    For about the same price as single AHB2, the Rotel RB-1590 has a continuous output of ~650W and a peak output of ~720W.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Dynamics and detail.

                      Originally posted by acroyear View Post
                      I personally would like to see how the vitus control affects volume, should give a lot of nice room for low level precision.
                      Confirm, this Vitus SIA-025 integrated switched to AB mode had very good dynamics (not loudness) and delivered excellent detail.
                      Good Marantz should also be excellent choice .

                      ATB

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Watt to power value

                        Originally posted by IMF+TDL View Post
                        While the Benchmark AHB2 has very low distortion and an extremely high S/N ratio, the power output is rather low (~150W) for the price.
                        Also, the switch-mode regulated power supply doesn't allow for any increase in peak/dynamic power output.
                        Using a pair of amps each in bridged mode increases the output power to a specified 480W, but the price then doubles.

                        For less than half the price of one AHB2, the NAD C275BEE has a continuous output of ~200W and a peak output of ~440W.
                        For about the same price as single AHB2, the Rotel RB-1590 has a continuous output of ~650W and a peak output of ~720W.
                        Very useful informations.Thank you. What about the pro amplifiers like Yamaha Tn,XP,XC or Crown XTi series? These pro amplifiers are good for home environment? Is it suitable to drive Harbeth speakers?

                        I think pro amps /W ratio is better then home audio amplifiers,but I'm not sure about technical parameters like THD etc.

                        Can we have any lab report from pro Yamaha or Crown amplifiers?
                        Is it good idea to employ pro amplifiers + DAC/preamp with remote function like TEAC UD 503?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Good value power

                          Originally posted by szigony View Post
                          Very useful informations.Thank you. What about the pro amplifiers like Yamaha Tn,XP,XC or Crown XTi series? These pro amplifiers are good for home environment? Is it suitable to drive Harbeth speakers?

                          I think pro amps /W ratio is better then home audio amplifiers,but I'm not sure about technical parameters like THD etc.

                          Can we have any lab report from pro Yamaha or Crown amplifiers?
                          Is it good idea to employ pro amplifiers + DAC/preamp with remote function like TEAC UD 503?
                          I have used a crown xti amplifier and now their class D lightweight xls series. To connect them to sources have used cheap pro 2 channel mixers, cheap passive volume controls, well considered DAC with volume control and even direct to power amp just using the pots as volume controls (to see if a cheap passive control with 6 ft of cable caused an issue). I'm not convinced any of them sounded any better or worse than anything else I have connected to C7's.

                          They are practical though, the xls weighs 8lb, cool, has variable pots, variable input sensitivity and over 300W of honest power (as far as I know).

                          One thing to consider is pro power amps input impedance, often 10K with rca inputs, some seem to feel this is too low for good impedance matching?? though I'm having no trouble running a CD player and a passive controller into it with 6 feet of cable.

                          One thing for sure is that I am running at -20dB (according to the meters) at the loudest I would drive my harbeths for music or movies, such amps might be overkill but at under $400 they are good value. I like the way you can set the pots to allow you to get good control of lower volumes with your preamp of choice.
                          Getting to know my C7ES3

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Cheap real power

                            The Yamaha P2500 delivers 250 watt rms per channel for just 400 euro. I am considering getting one for my son, but would indeed love to see a proper test with measurements. I am sure it will not measure as well as the Benchmark amp, but less sure that the difference will be audible. In a blind test even the much cheaper again (175 euro) 2x120 watt Behringer A500 could not be distinguished from some very expensive monoblocs. Peter Aczel (the Audio Critic) measured it properly with an AP unit and also the Power Cube test: it did not measure very well, but Peter argued that it was good enough to be indistinguishable.

                            It is a funny thing with amplifers: they generate much audiophile lore, but even the cheapest ones can be good enough (if they have enough power). Alan bought a dirt cheap brutish pro audio power amp some time ago, but never posted any measurements.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              In the meantime the 500 euro 2x350 watt Yamaha P3500s has been tested/measured: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/a...t30056383.html It performs impeccably.
                              For a recent test with measurements of a Vitus amplifier:
                              http://archimago.blogspot.nl/2016/12...tt-stereo.html

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X