Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Harbeth 40.2 40th Anniversary with Hi Fi Rack Stands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbeth 40.2 40th Anniversary with Hi Fi Rack Stands

I am enjoying my 40.2 40th Anniversaries with Hi Fi Racks stands. They are special speakers.

I have made a slight but to me a very significant modification. To lift the speakers off the stand’s polyurethane pads, I have slipped in wooden spacers made from the fat ends cut off of clothes pins. The speakers do not then contact the polyurethane pads. This little change has to me made a very significant improvement in the speaker’s treble.

Before this I tried several things using some exotic woods and manufactured isolation devices, but the pieces of clothes pins with the narrow side down under the speaker corners sound the best. My humble experience with polyurethane is that it absorbs energy and reflects it back dulling treble. I listen to a lot of piano sonatas, and the change is easy to hear.

The rest of the Hi Fi racks design is excellent otherwise. Again my experience is that 1.5” inch thick hardwood in the stands is good, 1” or 2 inch just doesn’t sound good for some reason.

I have found that Cardas myrtle blocks are also excellent between the speakers and stands. This was recommended by the US Harbeth distributor, Walter Swanbon.

Comment

I cannot think of any physics that would explain such differences, so expectation bias seems the best explanation.

Comment

Having the same set-up, I've put in some Kapla blocks, as I have hundreds sitting in a cupboard. Let's see.

I am intrigued by Townshend's sprung isolation, which demonstrably works, although whether the effects are audible is another matter.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW9-r83IvhI

Also interesting that he says suspended or concrete floor makes no difference.

Comment

Considering the design of the 40.2 enclosure, it would seem to me that physics would suggest many ways that the speakers could be impacted by how they are supported.

Comment

Originally posted by ssfas View Post
            I am intrigued by Townshend's sprung isolation, which demonstrably works, although whether the effects are audible is another matter.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW9-r83IvhI

Also interesting that he says suspended or concrete floor makes no difference.
            That seems a bit intriguing. A suspended floor will likely have vibration displacement amplitudes that are greater than those occurring with typical concrete floors. I am unsure whether the concrete floor will have a higher or lower fundamental resonance frequency.

Keep in mind that the passive isolation platform that is being used here has a low-pass filter function. It filters out the high-frequency displacements, so that way the speaker itself sits stably in space on the isolated platform. Of course, the amount of isolation that is achieved is frequency dependent. The speaker sitting on the isolation platform creates a mass-spring system with a certain resonance frequency. Above this frequency, the transmission of vibrations from the floor to the speaker is attenuated.

Comment

Hondo, I use small cork adhesive pads on top of my Harbeth oak speaker stands, these are there just for grip and cushioning when placing the speakers onto my stands. I build open frame stands for all our Harbeth loudspeakers in New Zealand now.
              Attached Files
              Thanks Jason.

Comment

I now am using stainless steel cones and pads that I purchased on eBay under my 40.2's --- two set of 4Set 24mm Stainless Steel Speaker Spike Isolation Feet Cone Pad Amp HiFi 291711394906. They are very low and are resistant to tipping over.

Comment

After trying stainless steel spikes & cones and ebony spikes and cones of the same design, I have gone back to small Cardas or Ayre myrtle blocks. Placement has an effect on sound. I like them close to the corners of the speakers.

Comment

Don't delude yourself. Pads, stands and the like do not make any sonic difference. Placement does make an enormous difference, however, because a location near a wall and even more so in a corner will boost low frequencies. Also, room modes may be excited by any particular location. So if you are worried, measure in room response.

Comment

Originally posted by willem View Post
                      Don't delude yourself. Pads, stands and the like do not make any sonic difference.
                      Consider the results of the tests described in this article (all six pages): https://www.stereophile.com/features/806/index.html

Comment

I have now made a 360 and have returned to using the original clothes pin ends. Ella Fitzgerald and Sara Vaughn steered me back. I'm not sure what wood they are made off, but pine did not do it for me. Not sure if it is the wood and/or geometry.

The last part of the article referenced by IMF+TDL gave some credence that I'm not crazy, just compulsive.

Comment

Working...
                        X