Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

P3ESR and a Subwoofer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P3ESR and a Subwoofer

I wonder if there are any thoughts on pairing the P3esr with a good Subwoofer. Some say It will destroy the sound, others saying "nice experiment "or even WOW.

The equipment I use is NAIM based;

Grtz

Fred from Holland

P3 and a sub

I can't see why it would not work if one were so inclined. My idea would be to get a subwoofer that was comprehensively adjustable (like a REL). You'd need to carefully adjust the roll-on/off and sometimes subs have a phase invert switch. This can be useful when trying to get the sound right.

I must say, in my small room - even when I play 90s 'Now' CDs (the shame of it!) - I experience no shortage of bass nourishment.

Comment

For really deep bass ... try REL

I added a REL T5 and it really integrated well with the P3's. Try it, you might like it.

Comment

Rel + c7

Another vote for Rel over here, chose a B3 to go with my C7's. My short list consisted of the JL F110 and B3, ended up preferring the B3's sound and it integrated very nicely.

Comment

Use the REL Speakon connection

The REL B3 integrated seamlessly with my C7's. After changing from tube/valve amp to SS the sub does not work as hard. IMO the REL Speakon connection is the only appropriate connection for two channel sound.

Comment

AB1 with P3ESR

Hmm i am wondering if the Rogers AB-1 (originally designed for LS-3/5A) would work with the P3ESR.....

{Moderator's comment: I certainly should do.}

Comment

80Hz and below

Thanks for youre interesting replys , It"s certainly worth trying then? I miss some body under 80 Hz...A good sub could do the trick I guess.

Comment

Do you really need a sub? P3ESR is perfect as it is

I would suggest you try before you buy.

I've never managed to get any sub woof working to my liking and prefer the P3ESR as nature intended. I'd rather have a slight lack of good bass to lots of poor bass.

Comment

Subsonics stimulates room problems

Beware though, the register from 80Hz down is also a register where room interaction is very noticeable. I get the best results from measuring (there is nice free software available online) and cutting down peaks, don't even bother boosting null points. There are also devices available that will do this automatically, the ones i've tried work well indeed. So basically, a well integrated subwoofer can really give a nicer experience with certain music, but it's better without one than with a poorly integrated one.

Also, most music rarely contains much information below 30-40Hz or so, so in case you're also a movie fanatic with a multichannel receiver, you can get away with a much smaller unit. Unless you listen to a lot of pipe organ or percussion/drum music.

Good luck!

Comment

Self-adjusting sub v. REL

Tim,

Hi Tim.

No.Im not a "heavy music" user. Listen to female voices most of the time or light acoustical arrangements.

As for the subwoofer. The Rel might be the better sub, on the other hand I was thinking of Velodyne because as I understand it they have far more possibilities to measure and adjust the sub by means of a microphone packed with the sub and some software. And a remote is also a nice thing to have. The REL has nothing off these.

Difficult choice

Comment

Forget about subwoofers for stereo music.

I used to have a Veldyne sub before I purchased the P3ESR's, I never even bothered integrating it, sold it while it way in my garage. You should not muck around with stereo music.

Comment

Subs and human voice? Needed?

With all due respect but add a Subwoofer and it"s still stereo. Just looking for some body in the lower regions and giving voices a touch more dynamics.

{Moderator's comment: voices do not extend that low so not sure what objective you are pursuing.}

Comment

Subs - necessary?

@Fred40: In one room, with Compact 7ES-3, I am using the new (smallest) REL T5 subwoofer. I only wanted a touch more low frequency extension and chose smaller T5 so as not to overshadow the speakers. In another room, I am using a REL B3 with the P3ESR. Either sub with either pair of speakers sounds very good.

I have also tried the Martin Logan Descent i with both speakers and it works very well too. And of course, for certain types of music, I disable the subs altogether. The Harbeths all sounds very nice all by themselves. In a room appropriate to their size, the P3ESR does not really need any augmentation at all.

Comment

REL Strata + C7

I am using a REL too. It is a very old REL strata sub with my C7. The result is good. If you are main for music, REL sub is still the best. Using the high level on REL to augment the low bass can achieve good result. Velodyne is great for movie.
                            "Bath with Music"

Comment

The best subwoofer = the one with lowest distortion

REL for music and Velodyne for movies? Bollocks! The best subwoofers are those that distort the least and here Velodyne is king. Has anyone actually heard both brands side-by-side? Everytime I hear a REL, I hear distortion (a nice 'warm' sound for sure, but not accurate at all).

Comment

Working...
                              X