Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

P3ESR SE vs. Compact 7ES3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With P3ESR can still hear water feature

Originally posted by Don Jr View Post
    I've never heard the P3ESR but my room is about the same size as yours and I have the C7's. They sit between 1/2 and 1 meter from the wall (wall insulated) and sound terrific in my room. They fill the room with music, which is what I like because I don't like to sit down for long periods of time. I can get up and move about the room and it sounds great where ever I am.

My home is a small single story house and if I'm listening to music, I can move about the house as well and hear music from every room without turning the volume up too loud. My wife likes it because she can hear the music while she prepares meals in the kitchen. I find that not all music requires sitting in a chair set perfectly between the speakers at a certain distance.

What I find most amazing about these speakers (and I don't understand why) is that we can listen at a volume level that fills the room with sound yet we can talk to each other without raising our voices. I couldn't do that with my last speakers. I actually noticed this at my first demo at my local shop.
    In Singapore, my Harbeth is setup at hall and i am enjoying it as what you said too. Both me and my wife like how the Harbeth fill up the whole house without tuned up the vol but the music still wonderfully clear, detailed, beautiful mid with base well be felt and lovely in every corners in the house. We are able to chat normally and still can hear smooth, soothing water sound generated by a little water feature in the hall.
    "Bath with Music"

Comment

Tomorrow ...

Thanks to all for your advices, tomorrow I ve to decide.....

Comment

C7 in rosewood

Hello,

my decision goes to:

Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Want to inform you that I ve just ordered the Compact 7 in rosewood.

Regards

Comment

There is no wrong decision!

You could not make the wrong decision with these choices. Enjoy your C7ES3's.

Comment

C7ES3 after P3ESR

Originally posted by errhoo View Post
            my decision goes to:
            Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3
            Good call. Do let us know your impressions of how they compare with the P3. I am curious to know if there is any aspect where the P3s come across as better.

Comment

Just arrived

Yesterday evening I got them. Have to work until weekend, impressions will follow.

Comment

Thanks!

They are so wonderful, love them (have eucalyptus ones not rosewoods). Thank you Alan for such a great speaker.

Comment

I am looking forward to hear your comparison of them with the P3s.

Comment

Originally posted by Kumar Kane View Post
                    Please give me some time....

Comment

Love C7ES3

Originally posted by Kumar Kane View Post
                      The C7ES3s give me a bigger soundstage, I love them, but for now I am in search for an integrated amp which will harmonize.

Comment

C7ES3 is amp neutral

The C7ES3s give me a bigger soundstage, I love them, but for now I am in search for an integrated amp which will harmonize.
                        What amp do you have just now? Don't be in a hurry to change amps, a new one won't have the C7s sing any better, they are very amp neutral.

Comment

Euphya

Actually I use an Euphya Alliance 250 from France (2x40W).

Comment

New Amp?

Actually I use an Euphya Alliance 250 from France (2x40W).
                            I am not familiar with that one - but unless you need to hear music loud, it doesn't seem too underpowered. Ideally, listen to any new amp and see if you hear improvement before buying it. Of course, there could be other reasons for a change, harmonizing could be visual too!

Comment

System sonic sugnature?

Hi errhoo,

could you elaborate on your perception of the resulting sonic signature of your system, now that the new Harbeths have joined in?

For instance has the tonal balance shifted or do you feel the amp is struggling in some way? - It certainly should not do the latter, as a stable 40W RMS power should more than suffice.

The 250 has been described as a rich, voluptuous sounding amp; perhaps you'd like a slightly leaner/airier signature?

From personal experience I could recommend the Bel Canto C5i which harmonises surprisingly well with Harbeths and actually lets the speakers... speak for themselves.

{Moderator's comment: when you quote 'has been described as a rich, voluptuous sounding amp' that reads like marketing talk. A well designed amp will have no more personality than a wristwatch. It does a job and that's it. If it has a personality (unlikely) then ask why and be cautious.}

Comment

Why upgrade the amp?

Originally posted by Spindrift View Post
                                ...could you elaborate on your perception of the resulting sonic signature of your system, now that the new Harbeths have joined in?

For instance has the tonal balance shifted or do you feel the amp is struggling in some way? - It certainly should not do the latter, as a stable 40W RMS power should more than suffice.

The 250 has been described as a rich, voluptuous sounding amp; perhaps you'd like a slightly leaner/airier signature? ....
                                {Moderator's comment: when you quote 'has been described as a rich, voluptuous sounding amp' that reads like marketing talk. A well designed amp will have no more personality than a wristwatch. It does a job and that's it. If it has a personality (unlikely) then ask why and be cautious.}
                                To the moderator: I agree completely with what you say; a truly straightforward & stable amp-design should not have a clearly identifiable sonic signature but sadly, many amps can in fact somehow cause a deviation from neutrality in one or other part of the aural spectrum. Perhaps some designers deliberately create some 'flavoured' character to distinguish their designs from other offerings.

errhoo pointed at his theoretically sufficiently powerful amp as a candidate for replacement. Normally replacement would not be neccessary with such a young amp. Having read said statements regarding the alleged sonic 'character' of this amp, one does wonder whether the introduction of better acoustic transducers (in this case Harbeths) may be revealing something about his replay-chain which was not (as) clearly audible before.

This is the main reason for suggesting that he could try (on loan from an expert dealer) another amp such as the BCD C5i of which I can say from personal experience that it seems to be as neutral as Switzerland and simply does what it needs to do; let the speakers do the talking - of which a pair of Compact 7ES3 is more than capable.

In fact as long as there is sufficient, stable power on tap, Harbeths are as unfussy as they come. Modern designs such as the Rega Brio R will work great but so will any (serviced) classic amp from QUAD (405-2, 306 & 520 being highly recommendable, reliable amplifiers).

Perhaps errhoo can elaborate on why he feels that after a speaker upgrade, he needs to look around for another amplifier?

Comment

Working...
                                X