Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

P3ESR SE vs. Compact 7ES3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bright airy sound ... tipped up response?

Originally posted by Spindrift View Post
    .... For instance has the tonal balance shifted or do you feel the amp is struggling in some way? - It certainly should not do the latter, as a stable 40W RMS power should more than suffice.

The 250 has been described as a rich, voluptuous sounding amp; perhaps you'd like a slightly leaner/airier signature?

From personal experience I could recommend the Bel Canto C5i which harmonises surprisingly well with Harbeths and actually lets the speakers... speak for themselves.

{Moderator's comment: when you quote 'has been described as a rich, voluptuous sounding amp' that reads like marketing talk. A well designed amp will have no more personality than a wristwatch. It does a job and that's it. If it has a personality (unlikely) then ask why and be cautious.}
    At the moment I am testing the little CREEK Evolution 2 amp. It has a lot more power than the french amp but is brighter, airier, more neutral I think. I like his sound, but have to test more. Other recommendations here?

Comment

Originally posted by errhoo View Post
      At the moment I am testing the little CREEK Evolution 2 amp. It has a lot more power than the french amp but is brighter, airier, more neutral I think. I like his sound, but have to test more. Other recommendations here?
      I run mine with a Luxman L-550 AII 20wpc Class A amp. Very full sounding, sounds very nice with vinyl.

Hooked up my Rega Elicit amp (from my secondary setup) as well to my Compact 7ES3 and the Rega sounds a bit more neutral, definitely not as full-sounding as the Luxman.

Either one though is a nice match for the Compact 7s, I just prefer the fuller sound of the Luxman.

Comment

Positioning and room acoustics

Originally posted by errhoo View Post
        Other recommendations here?
        Yes - focus first on the speaker positioning in the room and room acoustics! You will get more audible improvements going down that road, as long as the amp is in good working condition.

Comment

Lfd

If you can live without remote control you may consider a ten yrs old LFD mistral le int amp or newer LFD zero le Mk3.
          "Bath with Music"

Comment

LFD Mk4

LFD is very good and the Integrated LE has been in Mk.4 form for 18 months or so. It has a much fuller, richer sound than the Mk.3

Comment

Lavardin amp?

What about the opinions of a Lavardin IS amp here? Someone here use that amp?

Comment

If you have the chance (Electrocompanient ECI-3)

give an audition to Electrocompaniet ECI-3.... you'll be surprised!

Comment

Devialet preamp

The Devialet D-Premier is the most versatile good looking completely neutral amp I know of. I would recommend it without hesitation to anyone who can afford it.

Comment

Thanks you - astounding P3ESRs!

Hello everyone... I am new to the forum.

I just received a pair of P3ESR's yesterday in cherry. I drive them with a Naim XS and Flatcap 2XS with superb fidelity. I have had other amplification and many other speakers... But the the performance to size ratio is astounding. Unbelievable even if cost were no object. It begs the question that at 60 WPC could I effectively power a 7ES3 or SHL5.

Thank you, Alan and everyone at Harbeth.

-John

Comment

Yes, no problem at all.

Comment

No problem

Originally posted by jpbas1 View Post
                        Hello everyone... I am new to the forum.
                        It begs the question that at 60 WPC could I effectively power a 7ES3 or SHL5.
                        Thank you, Alan and everyone at Harbeth.

-John
                        Without any problem.

Comment

Naim Nait + SHL5

I have the same setup that you were asking about ... the SHL5 powered by a naim nait xs -2. Wonderful combination ... no worries about not being able to drive them with 60w

Comment

Working...
                          X