Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Testing P3ESR SE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing P3ESR SE

Hi everyone,

I'm new in this forum and got me a pair of P3ESR SE in maple for testing over the Easter days here in GERMANY.

These loudspeakers are absolutely stunning! Heard for five or six hours yesterday after unboxing them and will do a second listening round quite soon, which will be a pleasure I'm looking forward to (unfortunately my daughter who is student has to get up first **gg**).

There are however two points which are irritating me a little bit

1. The highs are very open, there's a tendency to reduce them a little bit via the amplifier which allows this (I however try to avoid this principally). These highs are unknown for me, as I'm coming from the warm sounding corner, was used to soft dome tweeters (DYNAUDIO) so far. Tried a set up of the PRESR with no toing-in and tried several loudspeaker-cables with no result to this point of running-in the speakers. Read several times the only way to get rid of this was a warm sounding amplifier

2. The chassis are very fast, also in stopping the sound. This I never heard before with other loudspeakers. Sometimes it seems to me, as if the sound "stops" or there are "holes" in the music if you get what I mean.

My set up is an older Accuphase E-207 (which has got enough power as P3ESR seems to like lots of it) and a new marantz CD-6004.

Any ideas to these two topics would be very much appreciated.

Greetings
    Reinhard

Reinhard

Not that I can help with your analysis but which Dyn do you come from?
    Simpli-Fi: Kuzma>Nighthawk>LebenCS300XS>P3ESR

Comment

Tip up?

It would seem that you have a system that should not be tipped up in the high frequency range. The P3ESR is very smooth and easy on the ears...at least mine are. What height are your stands and where are you ears in relation to the tweeter? What size is your room? I get a warmer presentation from my P3's by toeing in. Also consider that these may not be the speaker for you. I find that with every kind of music I listen to they are very satisfying, you may not.

Comment

Listening

I'm coming from several DYNAUDIOS, last were Focus 140.

My Ears ears are slightly over the tweeters (5cm). The distributor advised me that maple is said to be one of the hardest wood and in combination with SE-Version might sound not warm enough. There were audible differences between the chosen wood/veneer. Any experiences to this point?

@ArtK: which veneer did you choose, have you got the SE-version?

Greetings

Comment

Room surfaces?

Cherry and yes I have the SE. Did you try toeing in a bit? What is your room like...hard reflective surfaces or...?

Comment

Sonos source?

Reinhard

If you have lived with your F140 for a while, it may take some getting used to the P3ESR. I have previously owned F110 and they are fantastic speakers. I would imagine (failing is my audio memory) the P3ESR will retrieve a bit more detail than the 140 but no doubt you are likely to miss the bass from the 140s too? I am a big fan of Dyns and have personally found that whilst the vocals is very sweet on the P3ESR, would tend to agree that the highs still have a slight edge and this is even running them with a valve amp. My setup may still have some possible matching issues and am awaiting a DAC to hear if it may tame the edginess of the Sonos source which I have always never been a big fan of. The senior guys will likely shoot me down and tell me that there is no difference to be heard in a controlled environment...

{Moderator's comment: now does our speech test track sound? That is where to start analysis. It sound perfectly sweet (even non hi-fi like) on our P3ESRs}

Comment

Speech -where?

Originally posted by b4sound View Post

{Moderator's comment: now does our speech test track sound? That is where to start analysis. It sound perfectly sweet (even non hi-fi like) on our P3ESRs}
              Where please is this track?

Comment

Speech testing

The section on Speech Testing is here.

May we suggest you read it first to get some background on the subject and then download the file please?

Would you also have a careful close-up look at both tweeter domes to be sure that they have not been damaged or creased.
                Alan A. Shaw
                Designer, owner
                Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Getting used to new loudspeakers

Originally posted by b4sound View Post
                  Reinhard

If you have lived with your F140 for a while, it may take some getting used to the P3ESR... but no doubt you are likely to miss the bass from the 140s too?
                  Hi, b4sound.

I think, you hit the nail on the head. First it is of course a matter of getting used to the new loudspeakers and you might also be right that at least with certain records the P3ESR may be a bit edgy in the highs. There will be a little work to be done in finetuning my environment (speaker cable, room damping, perhaps electronics).

To be honest, I do not miss the bass of the Focus 140 which often was a bit too heavy. What I miss a little is that the 140 was able to play louder but that's simply a matter of physics.

So thank you all for your advice!

Gr

Comment

SE version?

Yesterday I read in STEREOPLAY Edition "100 best loudspeakers of the world" that SE-version should deliver some kind of "freshness" in the highs. So I ask myself, if the standard P3ESR would be the better choice for people who like the highs a little bit less open. Anyone who heard the standard against the SE-version and can confirm this?

Greetings Reinhard

Comment

Originally posted by Reinhard View Post
                      Yesterday I read in STEREOPLAY Edition "100 best loudspeakers of the world" that SE-version should deliver some kind of "freshness" in the highs....
                      Imaginary difference. "Should" means what?

Please familiarise yourself with the thousands of works written here about cables etc.. The SE fancy cable is fitted for marketing reasons and marketing reasons alone.

Comment

Misquoted - now corrected

Thanks a lot for your answer, HUG-1.

Funny enough, as the words are shown in the mag as a personal quotation from Mr. Shaw. Your answer helps saving a little money and spend it for a few CDs ;-))

Comment

Could you provide the full quotation please. Magazine. Journalist. Exact 'quotation'.

I'd rather have my teeth pulled out through my rectum than make ludicrous, unsubstantiated claims for the 'sonic benefits' of the OFC cable, that being the only difference between the std. and SE. The cable does, admittedly, look nice in the blue sheath (if you like that sort of thing.)

NOTE: Proven innumerable times, it doesn't matter what I say or believe ......
                          Alan A. Shaw
                          Designer, owner
                          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

No offence!!!!

No offence, Mr. Shaw ;-))

Magazine is a Special Edition (! haha) of STEREOPLAY "100 Die besten Lautsprecher der Welt" (100 The best loudspeakers all over the world). You can read "Die hochwertige Innenverkabelung bringt etwas mehr Frische" (the high quality wiring in the cabinet delivers a little bit more freshness). There's a photo of you to be seen with your name and exact quotation with quotation marks is "Es ist erstaunlich, was die Verkabelung der neuen SE-Version bringt" (It is amazing, what the wiring of the new SE version delivers, or achieves, [my english is not that perfect] ;-)). Journalist is not stated.

I'm getting a little bit afraid about your teeth, please keep them where they are, it's just journalism...

Best wishes

Comment

Misrepresentations ...

Originally posted by Reinhard View Post

it's just journalism...

Best wishes
                              Or "just marketing", rather ...

As with press releases and such documents, it would not be at all surprising to find that the putative author of the statement never in fact spoke those words himself.

However, this is how misperceptions are continued and perpetuated.

Comment

Working...
                              X