Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

New Harbeth P3ESR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, the M40.1 is far, far better than that !!!

Comment

• it was nice to see the P3ESR's and Compact 7's spoken about so highly in the latest issue of Stereophile (June). Though the Harbeth's were not actually reviewed, they were used as a reference in comparison to Proac D2 speakers w/ the Leben 600 int. amp. and a pair of smaller Devore ( forget which model)speakers.I understand reviews are not super important, but I always enjoy when Harbeth speakers are written about with such reverence..Especially when used as a reference for comparison with other speakers, or to test the performance of amplifiers and such.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrewTurner View Post
        It was nice to see the P3ESR's and Compact 7's spoken about so highly in the latest issue of Stereophile (June).
        We're not on the circulation list so it's always a pleasant surprise to hear good news. Thanks for the feedback.
        Alan A. Shaw
        Designer, owner
        Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

• Just a quick word of praise for the P3ESR. I am a professional musician using my speakers all day nearly every day , either as near field recording monitors, for listening to music , or for practicing. They replaced an expensive pair of Genelecs. I am finding them totally natural and non fatiguing, yet with all the detail i need. In a word, perfect companions in my musical environment. Thanks Alan!

Comment

• Does anyone know if the P3ESR drivers are magnetically shield? I'm going to place them adjacent to an LCD TV. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comment

• They are not. But as far as I know, you only need shielded magnets for the old CRT sets, not LCD or plasma - which is why we dropped the shielding when changing from the P3ES2 to P3ESR.

When the original P3 was designed in 1990, CRT sets were the technology of the day. Twenty years on, they are obsolete.
              Alan A. Shaw
              Designer, owner
              Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

• Alan, thank you very much. I just curious because I noticed that my LCD TV has distorted and faded color when I put a pair of LS3/5a close to it. I will try again when I get P3ESR soon. Appreciate your answer.

Comment

• Alan, how about Compact 7ES-3? Are they magnetically shield?
                  Cheers

Comment

• Magnetic shielding - no

They are not magnetically shielded - no current Harbeth's are - but they have a reduced stray magnetic field thanks to an anti-magnet which concentrates the inevitable field around the (back of) the cabinet.

I'm surprised to hear that an LCD TV is sensitive to the stray magnetic field from a speaker. I can't imagine why the LCD technology would be influenced by a magnetic field. In a conventional CRT TV, visible colour distortion occurs when the almost weightless electrons are fired like a bullet from the neck at the back of the (deep) TV cabinet onto the screen, and a magnetic field in close proximity pulls them off target.
                    Alan A. Shaw
                    Designer, owner
                    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

• Alan, I've just realized that the speakers do not affect the LCD TV. I misunderstood that they made colour distortion. I'm not worried about the speaker placement now.
                      Thank you very much for your comment.

Comment

• I bought a new pair of rosewood P3ESR today. The speakers are so beautiful that I consider they are pieces of art work. Great and flawless craftmanship !

I had been using P3ES-2 for the past seven years. I must say P3ESR outperforms P3ES-2 in all aspects. The first thing I notice is the improvement in bass - it's tight and fuller. To my ears the sound of P3ESR is smooth, solid and sexy. Perfect for vocal. I'm so happy I have made a correct decision to make a purchase of P3ESR. The speakers are going to be my great companion in music enjoyment in the coming years and years !

I'm totally satisfied with P3ESR. Thanks Alan for bringing us these beautiful and wonderful speakers.

Comment

• Dear Alan,
                          I can find a sticker behind the tweeter grille. Should I remove it?

Comment

• That's a diffuser. Please do not attempt to remove it.

Comment

• Yes do not remove it. Btw, that's a very nice pair of P3ESR. Congratulations. Pics very well taken.

Comment

• I see. I asked because I did not find such sticker in my P3ES-2.
                                Cheers ~

Comment

Working...
                                X