Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

New Harbeth P3ESR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 12 x 12 room and my C7ES3

My C7ES3 are 7.5 away in my 12x12 listening room. It works very well for me. I also do not listen at loud levels.

Comment

• No other speaker does musicality quite like a Harbeth

IMO, more and more speakers are being produced which are uncomfortably bright and aggressive. I'm not sure quite why other than to stand out in a demonstration where the apparent increase in detail and information is deemed a good thing. Unfortunately, this aggression does get very wearing after a short time.

Harbeth stand out in a demonstration by sounding natural and easy on the ear, even after many hours of use.
      Originally posted by Gan CK View Post
      That's very true. A lot of so called hyper priced speakers have exagerrated highs to fool the listener into believing that the sound is transparent when in fact its only trying to mask a lack of transparency, resolution, texture & expressiveness in the critical midband. Besides depth, things like musicality, tonal & timbral accuracy are also taken for granted but one listen to any other speakers, & it immediately becomes very clear that no other speaker (irregardless of price) does the musicality & tonality thingy quite like a Harbeth.

Comment

• P3ESR upside down?

Hello,

My new P3ESR, upside down to align tweeters to my ear level, before I get proper stands.. Any thoughts? This shouldn't create any problems, would it?

Chong
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Hagto View Post
          I see may 09 mentioned here. Can I order my pair at my dealer now?
          What finishes will be available?

I have these P3ES-2 at home and I love them:

What color (wood) is this?

Comment

• Tiger Ebony

Hi vitor, it call tiger ebony
            "Bath with Music"

Comment

• Tiger ebony

That would be Tiger Ebony.

Comment

• Trading-down to smaller Harbeths due to unexpected Tax Bill!!

I have sold my SHL5 due to a tax bill (with interest) from Cameron and co. Gutted! But, got an incredibly good price for them and have managed to find a used pair of P3es2, my room is 4 x 4 metres with books, pics, carpet etc......someone tell me I will still be a happy Harbeth.........

Comment

• Your smaller Harbeths will be wonderful!

No need to worry! My room is a bit smaller than that and I use the P3ESR which I proudly bought recently. I'm delighted with the Harbeth's performance in my room. Where I demoed them at Radlett Audio the demo room was a little larger than your room I think, and the P3ESR was astounding in that room too.

I expect you will have lost a fraction in the bass, but my P3ESR is totally satisfying in the bass region for my needs. Double bass is wonderful, for example.

I think you will love your smaller Harbeths and may even count it as a blessing as you've now experiencd more of the range!

Comment

• You will indeed still be happy with Harbeth.

Very sorry to hear about your misfortune. Do understand that you are still in good company and that Harbeth speakers do indeed make things alright.

I recently had to downgrade source and amp to NAD with my Harbeth P3's, and let me tell you, the joy of the music is still there.

You chose a backup speaker very well.

Comment

• What speakers in 4 x 4 room?

Thanks for this, well basically I can get either the C7ES2 or P3ES2....my room is 4 x 4metres, the speakers will be approx 3 metres apart and I will be 3 metres away, any views which may work best?
                      Thanks

Originally posted by Art K View Post
                      You will indeed still be happy with Harbeth.

Very sorry to hear about your misfortune. Do understand that you are still in good company and that Harbeth speakers do indeed make things alright.

I recently had to downgrade source and amp to NAD with my Harbeth P3's, and let me tell you, the joy of the music is still there.

You chose a backup speaker very well.
                      {Moderator's comment: we recommend that you consider placing the speakers closer together than you are away. So if you sit 3m away, the speakers 2m apart. Download the User Guide.}

Comment

• Also downsized to P3ES2s - best move I ever made

Hi scottc1968.

I was (kind of) in the same boat as yourself - I downsized from Proac floorstanders to second-hand P3ES2s. Best move I ever made. My room is roughly the same area as yours. Less bass of course but that was a good thing for me. Very sorry to hear your tax bill has pinched your SHL5s, but you'll continue to love your music, I'm sure.
                        Ben from UK. Harbeth Super HL5 owner.

Comment

• Hi Ben
                          What Proacs did you have? I currently have some D15s as a stop gap...but miss the Harbeth sound
                          Cheers

Comment

• Same as you

Originally posted by scottc1968 View Post
                            Hi Ben
                            What Proacs did you have? I currently have some D15s as a stop gap...but miss the Harbeth sound
                            Cheers
                            Hi Scott,

By coincidence, D15s, same as you. Beside the excessive bass, I always thought the sound had a 'hard sheen'. (Can't rule out artificial, psychological judgement of the sound though. It's easy to link the visual influence of the hard, fibreglass cone to a perceived effect on the sound.)
                            Ben from UK. Harbeth Super HL5 owner.

Comment

• Hearing the character of different speakers over time

Originally posted by BAS-H View Post
                              Hi Scott,

By coincidence, D15s, same as you. Beside the excessive bass, I always thought the sound had a 'hard sheen'. (Can't rule out artificial, psychological judgement of the sound though. It's easy to link the visual influence of the hard, fibreglass cone to a perceived effect on the sound.)
                              I had the ProAc Tablette Reference 8 for over 6 years before moving to LS3/5A last year then recently to Harbeth P3ESR. I had the ProAcs so long that I always thought it was the recordings that were sometimes a bit metallic, hard etc.. I generally thought the ProAcs were great. Only when I changed to LS3/5A did I realise it was a characteristic of the speaker, which was underlined further upon changing to the even better still, Harbeth P3ESR.

Comment

• C7ES3 close to rear wall

From all I have read, the 7 ES3 sound perfect for my new large room, but I will not be able to place them more than a foot or so away from the two walls of the corners of the room. I also understand that for the P3ESR, that is not a problem, but I suspect the room might dwarf the speaker. Also, I am looking for a replacement for my current speaker pair, Spendor S3/5 se, that I love, but it loses out on bass even on acoustic jazz and I am not sure it will work in the larger room I have to move to.

But for that fact, I love the little Spendors, and I am guessing that the P3 won't give me all that much more than what they do, while the 7ES3 will. But if I place the latter around 18 inches away from each of the walls in the corner, how will they fare?

Or will the P3 itself do significantly better than the Spendors - my listening is acoustic music+vocals at normal listening levels.
                                Any suggestions/help would be very welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X