Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

New Harbeth P3ESR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Harbeth P3ESR

If it was not for the wonderful,informative review I read by Sam Tellig of Stereophile, regarding the Harbeth SHL5 speakers,I would never have known that Harbeth speakers even existed.If not for that "REVIEW".I would never have been compelled to drive 350 km to another city to hear Harbeth ,as their was no dealer in my area. I now own Harbeth speakers.After hearing my pair,my friend also just purchased Harbeth.This all came about because of a "REVIEW".Thank you Sam Tellig...REVIEWER.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewTurner View Post
      If it was not for the wonderful,informative review I read by Sam Tellig of Stereophile, regarding the Harbeth SHL5 speakers,I would never have known that Harbeth speakers even existed.If not for that "REVIEW".I would never have been compelled to drive 350 km to another city to hear Harbeth ,as their was no dealer in my area. I now own Harbeth speakers.After hearing my pair,my friend also just purchased Harbeth.This all came about because of a "REVIEW".Thank you Sam Tellig...REVIEWER.
      That's a fair point. Actually, come to think of it, it was probably through Sam Tellig that I became aware of Harbeths myself.

There have actually been quite a number of Harbeth reviews in various publications over the past few years, so there's no shortage of information about Harbeth as a brand if you follow the audio press, both print and online.

As for the P3ESR, I expect there'll be reviews eventually. But now might not be the ideal time. If Harbeth is running at 100% production capacity for these speakers, and they have an order book that will take months to fulfill, what's a review going to accomplish for them except to create more demand that can't be satisfied in a reasonable time frame?

I'm sure we'll see reviews of the P3ESR eventually, just not yet.

Comment

• Purpose of reviews is what?

Originally posted by EricW View Post
        ...If Harbeth is running at 100% production capacity for these speakers, and they have an order book that will take months to fulfill, what's a review going to accomplish for them except to create more demand that can't be satisfied in a reasonable time frame?
        Sorry I should have replied to this! Couldn't have expressed it better myself. I'm curious though; if you are satisfied with them do you want to read reviews just to reinforce your satisfaction? It's unlikely that you'll learn any more about their design or Realisation (ISO9001 speak) from a reviewer than here at the factory's User Group.

About the leadtime: please understand that this is not going to magically shorten. It is a fact of life. Our year-on-year sales are up 28%, making us (probably?) the UK's most successful speaker brand. The two longest established Harbeth distys (for more than thirty years e.g. Harbeth Japan, China) have monthly orders placed through to June 2009. That is not unusual! They know their markets! They have integrated review/distribution/marketing plans! That takes a chunk of out UK production capacity. The rest is taken first come first served by the remaining 40+ distributors. If yours is one of them then the leadtime doesn't concern you as they've anticipated your demand and ordered ahead. Smart them!

From our perspective there is nothing at all to be gained by early reviews of the P3ESR. We must not create a demand for something we cannot supply - that just stresses the dealers. It's so obviously a fabulous speaker we here don't need to be reassured. Do you really? As Alan points out Harbeth is (in his words!) "the speakers of last resort". What he means is that customers (eventually) find us having spent a fortune and wasted years trawling through many other speaker brands. They (you) find us when they are ready. We should not hurry that process along.
        Harbeth PR,
        Harbeth UK

Comment

Hi DrewTurner

Stereophiles review was great but if you read UHF magazine's (Issue 84, downloadable from their website and the harbeth review was complete) review of the SHL5's, it sounds like they were completely blown away by it. There were 3 guys who listened to it and their opinions were uniformed. They said something like it was a "candidate for the heavyweight crown" .

cheers, kitty

Comment

Can you find the link please? When you say "blown away by it" do you mean the P3ESR? That wouldn't surprise me. Nor should it you!
            Harbeth PR,
            Harbeth UK

Comment

Here's the link to the UHF review of SHL-5. It starts from page 48. The 3 reviewers were totally gobsmacked.

http://www.uhfmag.com/Issue84/UHF84.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Gan CK View Post
                Here's the link to the UHF review of SHL-5. It starts from page 48. The 3 reviewers were totally gobsmacked.

http://www.uhfmag.com/Issue84/UHF84.pdf
                UHF is a Canadian magazine and I'm not sure they have that large an international profile. But they've been in business for about 25 years, and they're a very credible and serious review magazine. Read the summary in the "Crosstalk" section of the HL5 review - that says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by EricW View Post
                  UHF is a Canadian magazine and I'm not sure they have that large an international profile. But they've been in business for about 25 years, and they're a very credible and serious review magazine. Read the summary in the "Crosstalk" section of the HL5 review - that says it all.
                  Yep...in Singapore, we refer these as "underground magazines". And the notion here is that these underground magazines are usually much more credible than high profile magazines.

Comment

Hello everybody, I just received my P3ESR on Friday and have some nice things to report. First, this little speaker seems to have better resolution and more complete harmonic structure in the mids than my previous M40, which I think is a miracle, maybe due to Radial 2. Second, it goes loud enough for a smallish room (15-20 sq.meter) -I feel it is substantially better in this regard compared to HLP3-ES2 and, third, it is so fast and precise, it almost put to shame my alnico-based, high sensitivity wide range/SET system when driven by a Sugden Class A amp. Two things I noticed is that the speaker does not like any kind of electrical filtering in the system and prefers a wooden, medium weight stand with good solidity than an ultra heavy weight metal one-because the latter makes it sound a little dark and slow.

Comment

IMO you definitely need a light open frame stand with any of the Harbeth range. Mass loaded always sounds fat and slow to me.

Comment

When you say.... no electronic filtering for the P3ESR,do you mean,not plugging your amp into a power conditioner?I thought your review described this the P3ESR perfectly.I think this little speaker(GIANT KILLER) out performs many other speaker brands, 2 or 3 times larger and more expensive.I'm listening to Archie Shepp's Sax right now. The P3ESR'S are filling my medium sized room with gorgeous sound.

Comment

I was referering to Ringmat Statfeet, a conductive film put under equipement, designed to absorb "bad" electromagnetic radiaton from PSUs. This thing can be good at times, especially with SET and high sensitivity speakers, but sucked life out of the system when the P3ESR was playing. I don't use conditioners as they generally restrict the abilities of a system.
                          IMO the biggest surprise with this little giant is that given the right stand and system, it can sound much more sensitive, open and dynamic than 83.5 dB would suggest, its "energy" nearly approaching that of big horns. But bass definition is in a class of its own and in the right position it can be quite deep, too, giving a clear hint of even the lowest notes.

Comment

I thought your comments regarding the midrange clarity/resolution of the P3ESR in comparison with your old M40's was very astute..I had a similar experience when auditioning the SHL5's.After hearing the P3ESR, I chose the smaller speaker.For what I lost in volume of sound and bass with the larger speaker,I gained in clarity,detail,speed and musicality.The P3ESR's have a real visceral quality about them that I find ,quite thrilling.Hope I'm not offending any SHL5 owners out there.Just my personal preference.I'm sure other ears will hear things differently,as they are both wonderful speakers.

Comment

In that review of the P3ES-2 and accompanying interview (http://www.avguide.com/review/tested...speaker?page=3) mention is made of a small response rise in the presence region.

To what extent is that true of the P3ESR?

Comment

Why would this be a concern to you? Did anyone hear this effect in the P3ES? I use whatever tools and techniques I have available to create a holistic, involving, natural sound regardless of how the thing measures in the laboratory.
                                Alan A. Shaw
                                Designer, owner
                                Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
                                X