Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

P3ESR at home

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yummy

Harbeth and Rega... yummy.

Comment

Shoebox electronics

Art, love the looks of your system, simple, elegant, and I am sure very satisfying. I do have a soft spot for shoebox sized components. There are a bunch of Naim half width boxes around here, NAC72/NAT01/HiCap/NAP140. How do you like the new Brio & Apollo? Some have favorably compared the Brio to the much loved NAIT2, high praise indeed! I would suggest a dedicated equipment rack. They do make a meaningful difference and are relatively low cost compared to most Hi Fi components.

Happy Listening! Cliff

Comment

Brio and Apollo

I really like the Brio-R and Apollo-R sound. I've owned a Mira 3, Apollo (and in fact just picked up an Apollo last week again) and Saturn and the new ones just sound different. I think there is a bit more raw energy with the new Rega pieces. Very much to my liking..though I enjoyed the older Apollo immensely last weekend.

As Dave said Rega and Harbeth are quite nice together, although I like his way of saying it better...lol!

Comment

Nice!

Cant help but have to say it again. Really like your CD display.
          Simpli-Fi: Kuzma>Nighthawk>LebenCS300XS>P3ESR

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Maple P3ESR

Here is a pic of my setup with P3ESRs in Maple. Rest of system is a Squeezebox attached to Metrum Quad DAC, lp12 and Rega Brio-R.

StereoFinal.jpg

Comment

A serial Harbeth user!

Some lovely setups here of the P3ESR. I just picked up my own set of P3ESR's in Rosewood yesterday from my local Harbeth dealer.

They are settling in nicely on my secondary vinyl system, which consists of a modified SL1200mk5 (Origin Live RB300 arm) Blue Circle Level 1 power supply mods, and an Ortofon Rondo Bronze. Phono stage is a SIM 110LP and the amp is a SIM 250i which does a lovely job of making the P3ESR make music. Radio in this system is a restored vintage Luxman T12 (FM only) brought up to spec by RadioXTuners in the USA. It's a wonderful sounding unit, and this system is crazy intimate and a joy to listen to the small space room (12'x10') it inhabits. Pix will follow when I get some good lighting.

This is my second pair of Harbeths.. the other is a wonderful pair of SHL5's that "moved in" to my main system last summer.. apparently they're staying for the duration.. I don't think I'd be foolish enough to let them go.
                One thing that definitely seems true about a Harbeth, the only thing that can follow up a Harbeth, is another one !

Comment

Appreciation of the P3ESR at Radlett Audio

Originally posted by GregD View Post
                  Needless to say, I placed an order immediately for a pair in Rosewood and left smiling knowing that I'd saved myself thousands of pounds by not buying any of the contenders I had been lining up costing up to 9K instead, that don't sound as good as this insane give-away bargain of a speaker!

David Wren's room and setup at Radlett Audio were perfect and allowed me to really hear what is so special about the P3ESR and he deserves praise for putting up with my classical and jazz that maybe weren't quite to his tastes!.
                  Please let us know how your experience when installing these at home compared to the demo room - just as good? Did you use a source and amp in the demo to match those you have at home?

NB. Lots of fans of the Brio R here despite its lack of balance and tone controls - you must have perfect listening rooms to not need any tweaking!

Comment

P3ESR and QUAD 34/306

Dear Forum Members,

I am from Malaysia and am very pleased to share 2 pictures of my pair of P3eSR with stands. I purchased them new in cherry veneer.

For amplification, its just a Quad 34 and Quad 606 and a Marantz CD95, to spin the disc.
                    Many thanks to all the wonderful people @ Harbeth for designing these great sounding and affordable speakers. I can now explore and appreciate music of my favorite artists and their performance in the comfort of own home for many pleasant years to come.

Cheers to all Harbeth Speakers users all around the world.

20130420_095141.jpgDSCN2022.JPG

Comment

DSCN4169abc.jpgDSCN4180.JPG

A bit messy but here are my Harbeth P3's with some CD's all around, with my silver front cover Cambridge Azur 840 CD Player, and my black modified transistor Best Buy $300 Stereo Integrated Amplifier WITH tone and balance controls----all on the floor, and I'm also using LFD Spiroflex speaker cables (made in England by one Dr. Bews) , Morrow silver coated copper interconnects made in The USA., and one Definitive Technology Pro 800 Subwoofer cost about $300 which adds lovely bass notes to the Harbeth P3 Speaker output.

The pictures on the back wall are "An American Girl in Italy 1951" by photographer Ruth Orkin (black and white photo--the girl looks more like a Swedish dish to me!) and "Heaven" or "La Disputa" by Raphael, an Italian 16th century painter-----real name: Raffaello Sanzio da Urbino (April 6 or March 28, 1483 – April 6, 1520), . Maybe try clicking on the small photos to enlarge them?

AND AS FOR THE P3 SPEAKERS, in case you are wondering if they are "any good", YESSSS.....they are small and cute and they sound VERY GOOD with a BIG SOUND belying their size---- but I like 'em with a subwoofer to get those lovely low notes.....and their "WAF" (wife acceptance factor) is very good also because ladies seem to like small speakers over BIG speakers....but maybe you already know this? John Boland, USA [email protected]

PS: If you wanna listen to some very tuneful/melodic and interesting Viennese music composed by an unknown genius, Carl Michael Ziehrer, check him out on amazon US at
                      http://www.amazon.com/Music-Carl-Mic...ichael+ziehrer
                      There are actually 12 different CD's but the above CD might be a good place to start exploring his music------- with full orchestra and some vocals which sound GREAT on the P3's!!!

And....here's another set of music that sounds VERY GREAT on the P3's...Johann Strauss II BOX SET of 54 CD's for about $94 with hundreds of "concert waltzes and dances" all with hundreds of lovely melodies that haven't been heard for over 100 years....beautiful! Worth every penny! THIS BOX SET PROVIDES ESPECIALLY GOOD IMAGING AND PLACEMENT OF INSTRUMENTS:
                      http://www.amazon.com/Johann-Strauss-II-Complete-Orchestral/dp
                      /B004MGMIA8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1367295032&sr=8-3&keywords=johann+strauss+II+box+set

Comment

"Too cool"!

Finally my dream's loudspeakers have found home.

Here you can see my new P3ESR Arctic White (Too cool, almost subzero) completing the last link of my system.

I build up a couple of special stands to support them. I'm very happy.
                        Claudio

68F8DE2E-9649-42EE-963C-B5BB93C271BD_zpswnjrmty9.jpg
                        11BD160A-2324-4246-818E-E76AAF2DC4DE_zpsoxtimzp5.jpg

Comment

Still with us

Apparently, the girl in the famous Ruth Orkin photo was still alive as late as October 2011. Here's a link with some background that might be of interest: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people...281195/?no-ist

Comment

On stands?

I'd love to see a pic of the speakers on the stands

Comment

Unboxing

Unboxing from Menlo Park (thanks to San Jose, Analog Room)

P3-unboxing.jpg

Comment

DIY stands

Here is a pic of self-made stand for my new Harbeth arctic white.

Comment

Working...
                                X