Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Help setting up SHL5's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Lars; I have moved the speakers a bit and have gotten a better balance, they seem more susceptible to placement than others I have used. I have played quite a bit today and I have been enjoying what I hear. (I also am feeling better today; I didn't realize I was feeling as bad as I was the other day, which can have a big affect.)

Comment

Hey, Brian.

I know there are some in the HUG who believe that stands don't make much of a difference, but I think you'll find a set of dedicated stands to be helpful. From your picture (great room, BTW), I'm inclined to think that you're SHL 5's are up a bit too high, which could contribute to the thin bass you're experiencing. I've had good luck with the Foundation stands under my Monitor 30's, and these stands are specifically designed for each Harbeth model. The height spec for the Foundation SHL 5 stand is 17.3", and it would be interesting mto know if the Skylan stand measures the same or close. I don't think you could go wrong with either stand, but perhaps you could try a 2.3" set of wooden blocks under you current stand and see what you think.

Good luck!

Bob LaBarca
      State College, PA
      USA

Comment

my c7 setup in room and my shl5 setup in hall. Both away from back wall 17+inches too measurement taken from back panel corner which nearest to the wall. This give me most bal bass for most musics. I too feel both speakers need to away from side more than back wall.
        "Bath with Music"

Comment

What is your source, Brianm? There are significant differences in harshness / forwardness of sources. Had an eighties CD player once; a modern replacement was a significant improvement. Have you any other source you can plug into your system to eliminate this as the cause? Ipod? Walkman? Anything different from the one you're using?

Good luck sorting it.
          Ben from UK. Harbeth Super HL5 owner.

Comment

Have never found the SHL5's sounding harsh/ forward or bright. Just doesn't fit the lexicon of this speaker. brianm, do notice that the toe-in is to the extent that the inner sidewalls disappear. This would make most speakers sound brighter, but not harsh on these ones, unless it is due to the recording.

Comment

I have lowered the speakers two inches and the stands are not around 18.5".. This made little difference in the sonics of the system. I plan to push the speakers back closer to the wall for curiosity, but suspect it will hurt imaging. I do think better stands would help, but I am not convinced it will get me all the way to where I want, so I really don't want to purchase them for naught; I really feel that my room is simply too big for them.

As for source, I hear the same with multiple sources; they can be viewed at the link above.

I have very little toe-in with these speakers kittykat; the picture on AG may appear differently. That said, I could move them almost straight just to experiment.

The SHL5's are incredibly open and airy, magical at times, but overall I am not getting a balance in my large room with vaulted ceiling.

Comment

As Bas-H and KT88 mentioned, the SHL5s could be a bit too close together in relation to the listening position.
                Alan Shaw recommends a ratio of 1 to 1.5, the latter being the listening distance, and HF unit ear level - with SHL5 that could be ear at supertweeter height or a bit lower.

Very little or no toe-in is not a guarantee for the least HF presence. A fair amount of it, just shy of directly pointed at the sweetspot can in fact give better overall tonal balance.

A good starting point is: toe-in so you just loose sight of the inner cabinet sides. This makes them cross behind you and often gives a good balance of focus vs dispersion. It may not help but perhaps it is worth a try. Good luck.

Comment

Actually I think kittykat may have hit it; while it was a thought of mine early on to straighten them out more (less toe-in), and I did, this morning I did a some more and they are sounding very good right now; I have been hesitant to run and post anything so early on as initial impressions can turn around on you, but things seem to have fallen into place much better after the latest tweak.

As for moving them further apart, I am restricted much beyond what they are now.

Comment

The SHL5's are imo the most un-fussy speakers. They sound the best when you forget the silly hifi folklore and just do the most practical and easiest things with them. Get a decent amp and source, plop them on some stable stands and away they go. Place them like they look the best in your living room.

Comment

If the AG picture still represent the present situation I think the speakers cable don't need to levitate.
                      Because the speakers vibrate I think is better to move down the Luxman in order to don't have an levitated cable.

And still a few words about the cables:
                      Many speakers brand seems to renounce at bi-wiring (or even tri-wiring) aproach. But, if you still have a bi-wiring speaker and a bi-wiring cable the best solutions is to go with bi-wiring but also, with a shortest good jumpers.
                      I still belive that a piece of metal betwen a speakers connectors could change a sound. That why I don't use connetors like spade or bananas ... just plug the cable directly.
                      I hope this will give an answer for those who still belives in HL versus LF ,for first connection to the Harbeths before the jumpers (ex. SHL5).

Best regards!

Comment

Working...
                      X